We should ban Hollywood films that glamorize gun violence. Matt Damon causes mass shootings

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ColonelAngus, Oct 4, 2017.

1. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,464
    Ah, but a brother born 10 or even 20 years would have had the same indoctrination. You do of course realize that before TV, there were radio and movie serials don't you? You do realize that toy guns predate the 50's don't you?

After a 12-year-old boy was shot by police in Cleveland, Americans confront our history with toy guns yet again

"Guns have been made for children for more than 150 years, as toys and as training tools for boys who would follow their fathers into hunting. The original Daisy air rifle, first built in 1888, was marketed door-to-door to farm families, says Joe Murfin, vice president of marketing for Daisy Outdoor Products in Rogers, Ark., which is also home to the Rogers Daisy Airgun Museum."

Serial Films

2. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,396
    As I said before, I have spent 5 1/2 years in Saudi Arabia how many years have you spent out of the US?

3. BluesLegend

BluesLegend Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,019
    Liberals: But but but...but THAT'S DIFFERENT :crybaby:

4. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,555
    I lived in Spain for a spell. I've also had a Muslim from Pakistan as a roommate and business partner. What does that have to do with anything? You are diverting the conversation with nonsense. If you have a relevant point to make then make it.

5. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +37,658
    Sure but not the kind and intensity of 24/7 indoctrination I cited for the example. Gunplay and gun-worship might have been a theme in his movie theater in pre-TV daze but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as pervasive. Once he leaves that theater he re-enters the world of reality and the theater cannot follow him. Television is a whole 'nother smoke. It literally LIVES in the house. It's ubiquitous. Orwell could see it coming.

I deliberately intended to draw attention to TV specifically, as it began to monopolize time and ran that theme home both during programming as well as the commercials... which was then mimicked and coattailed by other concurrently emerging outlets/media including superhero comics and the toy store, and later video games. It's a self-feeding grand psychological parasite and it begins with TV, from which it spreads like cancer.

Your citations of toy gun history are food for thought, but the fact that they existed and were marketed door-to-door (or wherever) doesn't tell us that they were marketed effectively. As far as efficacious indoctrination, nothing can touch the power of the instrument we deliberately plunk down in a place of honor in our homes and public places --- a place that used to host people talking to people --- that proceeds to hypnotize its victims like obedient sponges ordered to sit down and shut up while it dictates every sensory input. That's significant.

The poster's position was that this gun obsession had always been there in childhood; mine is that no that's not the case, that it was artificially inseminated there BY television, specifically because it's a sensory-emotional trigger that will sell and therefore make the TV station money, and that before that was done a child would typically be more concerned with the realities of basic survival and schooling (and in previous times with what needed to be done on the farm) and not with sitting back like a sponge watching an endless torrent of people killing people. I'm saying that was a significant paradigm shift that had a finite beginning, and a causation for it.

Hence my taking exception to the idea that "kids have always played with guns". I don't believe that's the case.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +37,658
    You could simply say to him, "sabah elkhir! Kif elhal?" and exchange pleasantries.
    You know --- as if you were talking to a human.

I did that at a Middle Eastern restaurant just a little while ago. They loved it.

7. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,423
    This is the gun cult's America. The NRA, gun manufacturers, Republicans in Congress. There is no body count high enough that would override their desire for money. They are the hollow men. The soulless of the population.

That chart is a damning disgusting snapshot of America that every other nation on Earth sees in the news every day now. And the gun cult have the gall to call themselves Christians. They aren't, they use even that religion as a front for their lying machine.