we could survive slavery, we could survive Jim Crow, but we could not survive ......

welfare programs"

That is quote from black economics professor Walther Williams from a Rush Limbaugh radio show he hosted a while ago. Can anyone help me figure out what he meant. Thanks

The problem with black America is not social programs or racism...it is cultural. The predominant black culture has allowed its family structure to break down. 70% of black children are born to single mothers, a large proportion of black men are unemployed or in prison, education is not cherished or admired.

None of these problems can be solved by the government. Until black society stands up and insists on higher standards from its members, it will always be an economic drain on society
But Why? This wasn't always the case. Think about it. When blacks were slaves, family was a cornerstone of their support. When slavery was eliminated blacks were left on their own. No welfare, no support, no help of any kind. Family remained a very strong part of their support network. With no government aid blacks learned to survive on their own. Even in the face of adversity they still managed to survive and even prosper to a degree. The family unit still remained strong. It was with the introduction of welfare, not the original FDR plan that required them to work, but the free handouts that continued that started to erode both the family structure and the will to work.

Everybody else, other then Muslims, have had no problem assimulating.

So what do you think is the problem?

Could it be that massive chip on their shoulder?

The slavery thing here, on this ground could give folks one hell of a chip. Really i think its a smaller chip than you would think. Just the type of thing that makes it easier to stay in bed in the morning instead of going to work.

Rather like one could be only a normally jealous man but let that fella marry a hot gal who has a reputation and suddenly he is looking over his shoulder.

I don't see any slavery here.

Slavery is kept alive with the help of racist pastors in black churches.

It's all in their collective mind-set.

Absolutely. It will never die as long as it is kept alive. Anger is a great motivator and that is exactly how it is used.

welfare programs"

That is quote from black economics professor Walther Williams from a Rush Limbaugh radio show he hosted a while ago. Can anyone help me figure out what he meant. Thanks

The problem with black America is not social programs or racism...it is cultural. The predominant black culture has allowed its family structure to break down. 70% of black children are born to single mothers, a large proportion of black men are unemployed or in prison, education is not cherished or admired.

None of these problems can be solved by the government. Until black society stands up and insists on higher standards from its members, it will always be an economic drain on society
But Why? This wasn't always the case. Think about it. When blacks were slaves, family was a cornerstone of their support. When slavery was eliminated blacks were left on their own. No welfare, no support, no help of any kind. Family remained a very strong part of their support network. With no government aid blacks learned to survive on their own. Even in the face of adversity they still managed to survive and even prosper to a degree. The family unit still remained strong. It was with the introduction of welfare, not the original FDR plan that required them to work, but the free handouts that continued that started to erode both the family structure and the will to work.

Government aid causing the breakdown of black families may be a tail wagging the dog scenario. Is the answer starvation?

Government aid causing the breakdown of black families may be a tail wagging the dog scenario. Is the answer starvation?

They didn't starve before welfare. A dependent welfare state has been created that never existed before. We have to now deal with the animal that has been created. Is the answer to just let it continue or to force change? You sound like you are happy to just let it continue.

They didn't starve before welfare. A dependent welfare state has been created that never existed before. We have to now deal with the animal that has been created. Is the answer to just let it continue or to force change? You sound like you are happy to just let it continue.

I'm afraid they did

Yes sir. I will split it with you.

How about "As it is difficult to want to be part of a culture which ridicules you the black man resists blending into the larger American culture"

Actually, Muslims have done a better job assimilating than most Americans. They have a higher standard of living, are more educated and pay more in taxes than average middle class Americans

I have to point out that if assimilation means being more like the culture at hand then your description proves (by your own definition) they have no assimilated very well... You do that a lot btw.

Why do you presume that unless a black person gets a handout from someone elses tax money they will starve to death? Do you honestly believe that someone is that incompetant that they can't provide for themselves simply because their skin is darker? What the heck is wrong with you people?

Actually, Muslims have done a better job assimilating than most Americans. They have a higher standard of living, are more educated and pay more in taxes than average middle class Americans

I have to point out that if assimilation means being more like the culture at hand then your description proves (by your own definition) they have no assimilated very well... You do that a lot btw.

Are you claiming that excelling is not assimilating?

Why do you presume that unless a black person gets a handout from someone elses tax money they will starve to death? Do you honestly believe that someone is that incompetant that they can't provide for themselves simply because their skin is darker? What the heck is wrong with you people?

Read my original post for context

Yeah right, progressives ARE turning us into a bunch of slaves.

They tell us what to eat, how to live, where to live, what to think, what morals are acceptable...

They want everyone to be slaves to their ethics.

WTF man....

Of course these Orwellian nuts will call it "European Maoism" soon enough.

Yeah, I gotta be a zombie for the "greater good of humanity." Thats what they believe.

Our society is turning into that one from the movie "Demolition Man."

Be well.....

I'm afraid they did

yet somehow their family infrastructure remained intact and they transitioned from slaves with nothing to productive workers. All without government intervention. The depression hit and everyone starved. FDR put in programs to get people working and he did. until jobs started to return. But a whole class of people never got off the gravy train, that never existed before, and they still are with us today in growing numbers. And why do we feel the need to provide for the illegals? Let theire own countries deal with them.

In your scenario, yes... are you really going to argue this? If we are building sail boats in a class and I come in and build a speed boat have I assimilated with the rest of the class or gone off on my own?

welfare programs"

He meant to denigrate social programs that help the poor by equating them (or rather implying they are worse) with some issues that were extremely serious and cause great social unrest and upheavel.

Be (berry) afraid of the liberals, they want to destroy the United States. :eek:

I'm afraid they did

yet somehow their family infrastructure remained intact and they transitioned from slaves with nothing to productive workers. All without government intervention. The depression hit and everyone starved. FDR put in programs to get people working and he did. until jobs started to return. But a whole class of people never got off the gravy train, that never existed before, and they still are with us today in growing numbers. And why do we feel the need to provide for the illegals? Let theire own countries deal with them.

They did have government intervention....did you miss the civil rights movement?

In your scenario, yes... are you really going to argue this? If we are building sail boats in a class and I come in and build a speed boat have I assimilated with the rest of the class or gone off on my own?

I'm sorry...but that makes no sense

Are you claiming anyone who does not dumb themselves down is not assimilating? WTF is your point?

welfare programs"

Sure it was.....

The plantation owners in America had complete freedom to buy and sell slaves. State laws gave slave marriages no legal protection and in these transactions husbands could be separated from their wives and children from their mothers. In his autobiography, Frederick Douglass claimed that in the part of Maryland where he was born: "to part children from their mothers at a very early age. Frequently, before the child has reached its twelfth month, its mother is taken from it, and hired out on some farm a considerable distance off."

Lewis Clarke, who was a slave in Madison County, Kentucky, claims that there were often economic reasons for breaking up families. "The death of a large owner is the occasion usually of many families being broken up. Bankruptcy is another cause of separation, and the hard-heartedness of a majority of slaveholders another and a more fruitful cause than either or all the rest. Generally there is but little more scruple about separating families than there is with a man who keeps sheep in selling off the lambs in the fall."

Slave Families

I'm afraid they did

On March 4, 1865, the U.S. government created a temporary federal agency- the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands- to assist 4 million freed slaves in making the transition from slavery to freedom. The agency distributed trainloads of food and clothing provided by the federal government to freed slaves and Southern white refugees. They built hospitals for the freed slaves and gave direct medical aid to more than 1 million of them. The greatest successes of the Freedmen's Bureau were in the field of education. More than 1,000 negro schools were built and staffed with qualified instructors. Most of the major negro colleges in the United States were founded with the assistance of the bureau.

But the Freedmen's Bureau was far more than a welfare agency. Government employees helped former slaves find jobs, negotiated terms of labor contracts, and investigated claims of unfair treatment. White Southerners were generally hostile toward the bureau and its activities, and in the postwar South, the Freedmen's Bureau became the only guardian of civil rights the former slaves could turn to.

Some blacks were settled on public lands under the Homestead Act of 1862, but the bureau's hopes of massive land redistribution in the South did not materialize, thwarted by President Andrew Johnson's restoration of abandoned lands pardoned Southerners. Without land, the freed blacks had little choice but to participate in sharecropping arrangements that inevitably became oppressive.

Freedmen's Bureau

I fail to see a cause and effect relationship between the social state of black America and the welfare system. Is there any society where the lowest economic sector has actually improved by withdrawing aid?

Forum List

Back