Wassup with all the log-ins?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Over the last week (?) or so every time I leave my laptop and come back later I get the "You must be logged in to do that" screen and have to log in again. Until recently I hadn't seen that screen since I joined this site in 2012. Is this just me or has something changed? It's manageable but kind of a PITA.. TIA

Over the last week (?) or so every time I leave my laptop and come back later I get the "You must be logged in to do that" screen and have to log in again. Until recently I hadn't seen that screen since I joined this site in 2012. Is this just me or has something changed? It's manageable but kind of a PITA.. TIA

Sounds like a cookie issue. Our logins are stored in cookies so either you're deleting them, or possibly some security app is periodically clearing all cookies.

Sounds like a cookie issue. Our logins are stored in cookies so either you're deleting them, or possibly some security app is periodically clearing all cookies.

Haven't done anything at all new on my end. None of my other cookie actions (log-ins on other sites, Google Maps knowing what I'm looking for before I do etc) seem to have changed -- only this site.

Haven't done anything at all new on my end. None of my other cookie actions (log-ins on other sites, Google Maps knowing what I'm looking for before I do etc) seem to have changed -- only this site.

Do you log-out when you go afk or otherwise aren't using the site? Do you check the 'remember me' box for logging in? Try unchecking that box and logging in, then see if it still ogs you out if on-site but not doing anything. Might be some kind of 'excessive idle' that gives you the boot after however much inactivity.

I have never logged out, ever. Fortunately my password -- whatever it is -- is in memory so it's just a click to get back in. If that disappeared I'd be vaporized :ack-1: But I see this log-in (lately) whether I come back the next day or only a half-hour.

Oddly, just a few minutes ago I got a strange error that shut everything down, and once I got restarted and opened Firefox I figured the log-in screen would certainly pop up -- yet this time it didn't. Went right to the page as it used to.

If others aren't getting this perhaps I've got some strange PC disease...

When you log in are you checking the box to keep yourself logged in?
I have never logged out, ever. Fortunately my password -- whatever it is -- is in memory so it's just a click to get back in. If that disappeared I'd be vaporized :ack-1: But I see this log-in (lately) whether I come back the next day or only a half-hour.

Oddly, just a few minutes ago I got a strange error that shut everything down, and once I got restarted and opened Firefox I figured the log-in screen would certainly pop up -- yet this time it didn't. Went right to the page as it used to.

Yeah that's always been checked. Haven't had to log myself back in since just one time, when one computer died and I had to replace it.

If no one else is getting this I'm starting to think it's on my end. I just got a weird error I've never heard of called "DPC Watchdog Violation" that shut everything down, and when I came back I didn't have to log in for the first time in a week or so...

How do I fix DPC Watchdog Violation errors in Windows 8
Hey, pogo, glad no more problems. Here is an article you might want to read about that error in case it happens again, if you are using windows 8. You may need updated drivers.

Yeah that's always been checked. Haven't had to log myself back in since just one time, when one computer died and I had to replace it.

If no one else is getting this I'm starting to think it's on my end. I just got a weird error I've never heard of called "DPC Watchdog Violation" that shut everything down, and when I came back I didn't have to log in for the first time in a week or so...

How do I fix DPC Watchdog Violation errors in Windows 8
Hey, pogo, glad no more problems. Here is an article you might want to read about that error in case it happens again, if you are using windows 8. You may need updated drivers.

Thanks D. Yeah, that's the next thing I have to deal with as punishment for not springing for a Mac.

But it doesn't seem to be related to the log-ins. And the recurring log-in screen is back again, it seems the one time the site came up out of the error restart was an aberration and it's back to this again...

Pogo you need to run a special check for bots on your computer system.

Haven't done anything at all new on my end. None of my other cookie actions (log-ins on other sites, Google Maps knowing what I'm looking for before I do etc) seem to have changed -- only this site.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it might be related to one of the latest M$ security or software updates or even a browser or AV update that auto-changed some security settings or suddenly sees this place as threat though you'd probably get warning with the latter.
It's probably something very simple like a setting but finding that is potentially a time consuming PITA.
You could try deleting all the updates that happened just before you started having issues, if that fixes it then you have to figure out which update is the culprit and block the update.
How to Uninstall a Windows Update that Broke Something

Forum List

Back