Was Jesus Gay?

Here's a thought: Perhaps some of us don't care what sexual orientation Jesus Christ was.

Oh, and congrats on your mastery of the quote function.

:thup:

It's seems to me that you do care. You have posted quite a few comments on this thread and were clearly offended by the idea that Jesus might have been gay. This evidenced by your lashing out at Sky Dancer (usually done in a sarcastic or mocking manner), exhibited in these posts:
:lmao:

Suuuuuuure.

Was Jesus queer? We don't know. But it is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. One version of St. Mark's gospel - which is still the subject of academic dispute - alludes to Jesus having a homosexual relationship with a youth he raised from the dead.

According to the US Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) includes the passage:

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

The veracity of this manuscript is hotly contested by other Biblical scholars. This comes as no surprise. The revelation of a gay Jesus would undermine some of the most fundamental tenets of orthodox Christianity, including its rampant homophobia.

But even if the text is genuine, does this ambiguous, elliptical passage offer evidence of Jesus's homosexuality? It is hard to say. The precise nature of the relationship between Christ and the youth is not spelled out. Sexual relations are suggested but not explicitly stated.

The Morton Smith document is, in fact, irrelevant to the vexed issue of Christ's sexual orientation. What we can say for certain is that the standard, accepted Biblical narrative gives us no information at all about Jesus's sexuality.

This absence of firm information does not, of course, mean that we can take it for granted that Christ was heterosexual. Far from it! The lack of information about his erotic inclinations begs more questions than it answers.

In the absence of any evidence - let alone proof - that Jesus was heterosexual, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible. How can established religion dare denounce homosexuality when the founder of its faith was himself a man of mysterious, unknown sexuality who could, for all we know, have been homosexual?

Peter Tatchell: Was Jesus Gay?
Sky found a blog with a bunch of links and she is not interested in discussing anything she found.

:lol:

Spam.

What "offends" me are positions/points without logic.

Like Sky's. Sort of like yours, too. Non sequiturs, for example.

I bet you assume I'm a Christian, too.

Last edited:

I bet you think I'm a Christian, too.

No, I think my logic works pretty well. If you see problems with her line of reasoning, then point them out and form an argument (instead of resorting to ridicule).

Also, I don't really care what religion or philosophy you affiliate yourself with. That's irrelevant. The fact of the matter is you were offended... Christian or not.

Here's a thought: Perhaps some of us don't care what sexual orientation Jesus Christ was.

Oh, and congrats on your mastery of the quote function.

:thup:

It's seems to me that you do care. You have posted quite a few comments on this thread and were clearly offended by the idea that Jesus might have been gay. This evidenced by your lashing out at Sky Dancer (usually done in a sarcastic or mocking manner), exhibited in these posts:

Sky found a blog with a bunch of links and she is not interested in discussing anything she found.

Spam.

she's a nihilist.

:rofl:

i'm j.p. sartre :eusa_shhh:

she's a nihilist.

I'm a he, and I don't know what I am.

she's a nihilist.

(She is also a master of the quote and apparently the multi-quote function. Impressive.)

Your ridicule and sarcasm only shows you've given up.

I think I'm done here.

"But you just gave up Cenotaph"

Yes, yes I did.

I bet you think I'm a Christian, too.

No, I think my logic works pretty well. If you see problems with her line of reasoning, then point them out and form an argument (instead of resorting to ridicule).

Also, I don't really care what religion or philosophy you affiliate yourself with. That's irrelevant. The fact of the matter is you were offended... Christian or not.
OMG. You are really serious.

:lmao:

I guarantee that I am the world's foremost expert on my positions, views, motivations, thoughts, and feelings.

It's pretty funny that you think you are more an expert than I.

One more time for the clearly slow: What offends me are positions/points without logic.

I don't give a shit if Christ was gay or into buggery, either.

And, again, I guarantee that I am the world's foremost expert on what offends me or not.

Piss off, asswipe.

I think I'm done here.

Yes, yes I did.

i didn't give up when the germans bombed pearl harbor, and i'm sure as hell not giving up now.:eusa_whistle:

Wasn't that one of your dumb ass lefty pals who said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

:eusa_eh:

shouldn't you be praying for regular bowel movements?

I think I'm done here.

Yes, yes I did.

i didn't give up when the germans bombed pearl harbor, and i'm sure as hell not giving up now.:eusa_whistle:

Wasn't that one of your dumb ass lefty pals who said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
I didn't think there was anyone who has never seen Animal House.

Speaking of facts, why don't you tell us about your Vietnam experience, fuckstick liar.

Hey dipshit, how about you tell us about your time in the service.
I'm sure that sharp wit of yours you demonstrate here just cuts him deeply.

:eusa_whistle:

So you have no problem with him attacking someone else's service? The fact you continue to defend someone like Warrior speaks volumes.

Of course I will get an answer from him about the time you explain to me how I am entitlement whore. Now continue on, Si...

But I do love the attitude people like Si and warrior have... Very Christian like, Jesus would be proud.

Forum List

Back