Was Hiroshima Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I missed this post earlier.

my point is you would rather have had saddam husseins troops on the holy soil than the americans.
If I was forced to choose between the two, yes. Mostly because I'm completely unwilling to participate in or provide material support for a struggle against the United States. I wouldn't have those same reservations about resisting a corrupt Middle Eastern leader. Saddam's Iraq was also much weaker than the United States.

that's what would have happened had we not intervened in 1989-1990.
One possibility but not a certainty.

so the US govt brought the 9/11 attacks on its people but japan's govt didn't bring hiroshima on its?
Sure they did. But as with al-Qa'idah and 9/11, the US government was ultimately responsible for the attack.

Seems to me radical Islam is at war with the west as a whole. They want the rest of the world to devolve back to the 600's with all the agony and misery that that entails. I would be very happy if they would all go home, we would come home, they would stay in their countries and we would never, ever enter theirs. What do you want to bet that they would still find some justification for attacking the west.

Yeah, he did. He said saving some people to save the lives of a far larger number is acceptable.

So 9/11 would have been justified had it successfully prevented any post-2001 US wars in the Muslim world?

except they knew it wouldn't.
They said this where?

Didn't it take two nukes to end WWII?

How many 9/11s to end American aggression in the ME? So far, we've only had one.

Doesn't matter even if we assumed that this was true. If hypothetical situations can be used in defense of Hiroshima and Nagasaki then they can be used here as well.

Not even remotely apt comparison.

So explain why it isn't apt.

Big difference between saying "If x, instead of y" when y is something already in progress versus something that wasn't even under consideration (unless you think there was some big secret American plan to raid the Middle East, and if that's the case, there isn't any use talking to you anyway).

If you can't support your claims with evidence, just say so. The amount that I have to read for classes doesn't give me much time to read for the sake of researching your arguments for you.

If you're too lazy to go to a library that's your problem not mine.

I'm not lazy. But you are being a douchebag for no reason.

No, I'm just tired of people speaking with zero knowledge of the facts but a lot of opinion. And we all know about opinions don't we.

What do you want to bet that they would still find some justification for attacking the west.

Since all of the reasons cited by Bin Ladin for the 9/11 attacks were related to the actions of the West in the Muslim world, I think it's safe to say that nothing like that would happen if the US kept out of the region entirely.

bin laden hit the towers because he knew we'd respond with war.

Please produce a statement of his that substantiates this claim.

why? do you think bin laden is stupid enough to think we would give in to him and pull out of the middle east?
Others have achieved the same

VietNam

Korea

Mogadishu...

Americans go away if you keep killing them

No, I'm just tired of people speaking with zero knowledge of the facts but a lot of opinion.

I've supported all of my arguments with evidence. If I've missed something, point it out and I'll provide evidence for it or admit that I can't. Your empty claims of 'knowledge' and implication that I don't know anything about the subject are meaningless since you've refused to support your arguments.

Because I have no interest in baseless assumptions about the motives of actors. If you can give support for it then I'll have to take it into consideration.

What I think about him doesn't matter.

then why does it matter what you think about Truman? why guess about Truman's motives?

I'm not. We know that the targets were chosen to maximize the psychological effects of the terrorism based on the Target Committee's own statements:
It was agreed that psychological factors in the target selection were of great importance. Two aspects of this are (1) obtaining the greatest psychological effect against Japan and (2) making the initial use sufficiently spectacular for the importance of the weapon to be internationally recognized when publicity on it is released.

Atomic Bomb: Decision -- Target Committee, May 10-11, 1945

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1

Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they were dropped to save american lives first and foremost. they incidentally saved japanese lives.

I see no reason to believe that they saved Japanese lives.

That is immaterial. Almost every unbiased report has presented empirical data that the bombs saved lives. The Japanese anti invasion plans are well documented, the spears are in museums, that is a fact. You may "believe" whatever you wish but the the rest of the world doesn't care what you believe.

So napalming American civilians in order to prevent them from fighting off an invading army with whatever weapons we have would be okay since it'd be for our own good?

(unless you think there was some big secret American plan to raid the Middle East, and if that's the case, there isn't any use talking to you anyway).

...You'll recall that the US invaded Iraq in 2003 and cited reasons mostly unrelated to 9/11 ('weapons of mass destruction.') A big secret American plan to raid the Middle East? No, but the US has invaded other countries there since 9/11.

my point is you would rather have had saddam husseins troops on the holy soil than the americans. that's what would have happened had we not intervened in 1989-1990. so the US govt brought the 9/11 attacks on its people but japan's govt didn't bring hiroshima on its?
'

So Japan deserved Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the aforementioned firebombing and America deserved 9/11?

No, Japan didn't "deserve" any of them. They earned them.

Just as America earned 9/11?
That is the price that unfortunately has to be paid when you attack a neutral power that is bigger and more powerful than you are

Just as 9/11 was the price to be paid for imperialism?
. The deaths of the Japanese civilians was a neccessary evil

As were the deaths of 3000 people on /?
. The level of technology in WWII was not sufficient to prevent widespread casualties.

Nor the technology available to bin Laden...

(unless you think there was some big secret American plan to raid the Middle East, and if that's the case, there isn't any use talking to you anyway).

...You'll recall that the US invaded Iraq in 2003 and cited reasons mostly unrelated to 9/11 ('weapons of mass destruction.') A big secret American plan to raid the Middle East? No, but the US has invaded other countries there since 9/11.

Last time I checked, Iraq is a single country, but to get back to your comparison, you'd have to believe 9/11 made an American invasion of Iraq less likely. That doesn't seem like a very logical conclusion.

I think we are asking the wrong question here: Consider this: what would the Imperial Japanese empire with it’s reputation for ruthless have done with a similar weapon given the similar situation?
Let's pretend the Japanese never attacked the US and provoked the war to begin with. Pretend, for a moment, that Japan didn't kill millions of innocent Chinese, Koreans, men women and children. Pretend the Japanese never bombed, raped, stabbed, shot, burned, beheaded or tortured in a blind fascist grab for power. They NEVER would have been nuked. What happened at Hiroshima was karma, hubris, just deserts., call it what you will. That’s the only answer I can give.

Last time I checked, Iraq is a single country, but to get back to your comparison, you'd have to believe 9/11 made an American invasion of Iraq less likely. That doesn't seem like a very logical conclusion.

You're right. That comparison wasn't apt.

exactly. it made it more likely. there is no way iraq would have happened without 9/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back