Was Hiroshima Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, yeah, he did.

'Do the ends justify the means?'

'The goal was to...'

Sorry; that isn't a direct answer to the question I asked.

yes. the ends justified the means, as lives were saved..

My question was general, not specific to the case of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Moreover, implying that 'lives were saved' is silly since it's based on the supposition that certain things would have happened in certain ways. Too many assumptions and hypothetical situations are involved in excusing the mass murder of hundreds of thousands of civilians.

Yeah, he did. He said saving some people to save the lives of a far larger number is acceptable.

So 9/11 would have been justified had it successfully prevented any post-2001 US wars in the Muslim world?

except they knew it wouldn't.

Doesn't matter even if we assumed that this was true. If hypothetical situations can be used in defense of Hiroshima and Nagasaki then they can be used here as well.

So 9/11 would have been justified had it successfully prevented any post-2001 US wars in the Muslim world?

except they knew it wouldn't.

Doesn't matter even if we assumed that this was true. If hypothetical situations can be used in defense of Hiroshima and Nagasaki then they can be used here as well.

bin laden hit the towers because he knew we'd respond with war. nothing hypothetical about it.

I'm highly skeptical of claims that the bombs were dropped in order to save Japanese lives. Can anyone support this with some sort of relevant US war document?

murder2.jpg

I'm highly skeptical of claims that the bombs were dropped in order to save Japanese lives. Can anyone support this with some sort of relevant US war document?

murder2.jpg

they were dropped to save american lives first and foremost. they incidentally saved japanese lives.

bin laden hit the towers because he knew we'd respond with war.

Please produce a statement of his that substantiates this claim.

why?
Because I have no interest in baseless assumptions about the motives of actors. If you can give support for it then I'll have to take it into consideration.

do you think bin laden is stupid enough to think we would give in to him and pull out of the middle east?
What I think about him doesn't matter.

murder2.jpg

they were dropped to save american lives first and foremost. they incidentally saved japanese lives.

I see no reason to believe that they saved Japanese lives.

Please produce a statement of his that substantiates this claim.

why?
Because I have no interest in baseless assumptions about the motives of actors. If you can give support for it then I'll have to take it into consideration.

do you think bin laden is stupid enough to think we would give in to him and pull out of the middle east?

then why does it matter what you think about Truman? why guess about Truman's motives?

murder2.jpg

then you don't understand what the alternative was. and i'm not even including the fact that the red army was going to invade japan.

then why does it matter what you think about Truman? why guess about Truman's motives?

I'm not. We know that the targets were chosen to maximize the psychological effects of the terrorism based on the Target Committee's own statements:

It was agreed that psychological factors in the target selection were of great importance. Two aspects of this are (1) obtaining the greatest psychological effect against Japan and (2) making the initial use sufficiently spectacular for the importance of the weapon to be internationally recognized when publicity on it is released.

Atomic Bomb: Decision -- Target Committee, May 10-11, 1945

then you don't understand what the alternative was.
I reject this as another false dichotomy. I see no reason to believe that 'drop atomic bombs on major population centers' or 'launch a full-scale ground invasion' represented the full extent of the US military's options.

then you don't understand what the alternative was.
I reject this as another false dichotomy. I see no reason to believe that 'drop atomic bombs on major population centers' or 'launch a full-scale ground invasion' represented the full extent of the US military's options.

reject all you want. you are incorrect. unless you count leaving tojo and the militaristic government in power as another option.

murder2.jpg

That is immaterial. Almost every unbiased report has presented empirical data that the bombs saved lives. The Japanese anti invasion plans are well documented, the spears are in museums, that is a fact. You may "believe" whatever you wish but the the rest of the world doesn't care what you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back