Warner Bros. considers replacing superman with black actor

I wouldn't waste any time or money on it for the same reason I wouldn't waste any time or money to see a movie about Malcolm X played by Nicolas Cage.

Not really the same thing since Superman is a fictional character, whereas, Malcolm X is not.

Don’t know why people gotta be so mad about a fictional character.

I will say that it seems to make more sense for them to create a new Superman that happens to be black rather than make Cal-El black. Maybe that’s what they will do.

Anything done because of political correctness is cowardly

WTF is wrong with you people?

It's a movie. Not an attack on white people, or political correctness, or even cultural appropriation.

And although he's fictional if he was real Superman isn't even a man. He's a freaking alien! Not even the same species as us. Where the outrage over that? Or is it ok because he superficially looks like you?

Report: Warner Bros. Considers Replacing Superman with Black Actor

Warner Bros. on Tuesday revealed the next Superman could be black.

Responding to news that actor Henry Cavill will be leaving the DC Comics franchise, the studio revealed their next “Man of Steel” could be played by Michael B. Jordan, who starred as the villain in Marvel’s recent Black Panther movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh isn't that special they want to vitrual signal hate whitey and whitey isn't good enough. When first off these stupid fkrs are going to tank because they can't just leave it alone, pricks can't just dream up their own super hero that is black and give them their own idenity of a hero.
Do you really see native americans, or n. koreans doing this bs acting like big babies wanting a super hero charcater gawd dam give it you race pushing fkn morons.

Why stop there? Let's tell the Warner's producer to make him a fat black woman who farts her way up into the air. And let's replace the Kryptonite that kills her with an IRS tax bill or social services worker visit instead. While we're at it, lets do a film on Malcolm X and make him a rich white corporate CEO with a 70 foot yacht in the Bahamas, and another film about the Obama presidency, except now he's a skinny, pimply kid with red hair that looks an awful lot like Alfred E Neuman.

Either way, Hollywood is today more about political agendas and not-so-subtle social re-engineering than entertainment and I won't be going to see ANY of them.

So let's start from the beginning...

Superman is an intelligent alien being. The scenario is that the life forms on Krypton evolved into beings that by coincidence look identical to earth - bred white people. As ridiculous as this is, it is equally likely that the Krypton people evolved to look Like earth - bred Black people.

So science-fictionally speaking, I have no problem with it.

It's a movie. Not an attack on white people, or political correctness, or even cultural appropriation.

And although he's fictional if he was real Superman isn't even a man. He's a freaking alien! Not even the same species as us. Where the outrage over that? Or is it ok because he superficially looks like you?
He’s an illegal alien?

I thought Will Smith already did this in Hancock.
images (90).jpeg
This is a superhero I would have a beer with.:cheers2:

Responding to news that actor Henry Cavill will be leaving the DC Comics franchise, the studio revealed their next “Man of Steel” could be played by Michael B. Jordan, who starred as the villain in Marvel’s recent Black Panther movie.

Oh isn't that special they want to vitrual signal hate whitey and whitey isn't good enough. When first off these stupid fkrs are going to tank because they can't just leave it alone, pricks can't just dream up their own super hero that is black and give them their own idenity of a hero.
Do you really see native americans, or n. koreans doing this bs acting like big babies wanting a super hero charcater gawd dam give it you race pushing fkn morons.

Oh noes!

A black man!

The creator of Superman intended his character to be white, otherwise he would have drawn him a different race. There's nothing stopping blacks from creating their own "super' character.
At the least, Warner Brothers should talk with the Siegel and Shuster family to see what they would prefer, after all, their family members created the character.

He’s an illegal alien?
You ever see a movie where he immigrates legally? He showed up in a spaceship in Kansas. Bypassed the border patrol completely.

So let's start from the beginning...

Superman is an intelligent alien being. The scenario is that the life forms on Krypton evolved into beings that by coincidence look identical to earth - bred white people. As ridiculous as this is, it is equally likely that the Krypton people evolved to look Like earth - bred Black people.

So science-fictionally speaking, I have no problem with it.

Well to be fair, I think Krypton did have a disease-ridden jungle continent inhabited by cannibals and snakes. It's somewhere on this map, I think...

latest

Why don't they just make a movie about Black Lightning instead?

You clearly don't follow the comic. After Superman died, one of the heroes that replaced him as 'superman' was black. He was known as the 'man of steel' as he wore steel armor.

As for your 'hate whitey' nonsense, that's your own baggage.

The creator of Superman intended his character to be white, otherwise he would have drawn him a different race. There's nothing stopping blacks from creating their own "super' character.
At the least, Warner Brothers should talk with the Siegel and Shuster family to see what they would prefer, after all, their family members created the character.

WB owns the rights to Superman, so I'm pretty sure that can do what they want with the character. Assuming there is not a new ruling as part of the seemingly never-ending litigation over those rights, of course. :p

Warner Bros.' 'Superman' Rights Confirmed by Appeals Court

Besides, it's not as though Siegel and Shuster have been writing Superman for the entire 80 years of the character's history.

Another trivia tidbit that relates to this: apparently the original idea for Superman was for him to be a villain. https://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-superman

The idea that "there's nothing stopping blacks from creating their own "super" character" is true, but ridiculous in this context. First of all, one does not need to be black to create a black comic book character. Second, there are already black superhero characters. Third, Superman is a hugely iconic character. Just creating a new superhero cannot compete with the name-recognition and draw that Superman has.

A black (or any non-white) Superman would certainly be jarring after seeing the character depicted as a white man for so long. It's worked out with varying degrees of success with other characters; I have no idea if it could work for something as well known as Superman. However, as DC has done such a piss-poor job of creating a viable movie universe in response to the MCU, maybe something new and jarring is what they need. :dunno:

You clearly don't follow the comic. After Superman died, one of the heroes that replaced him as 'superman' was black. He was known as the 'man of steel' as he wore steel armor.

As for your 'hate whitey' nonsense, that's your own baggage.

I didn't realize Steel was originally called the Man of Steel. I've never been a big DC fan outside of Batman, though.

I was an avid collector of Superman comics. I even bought the first "giant" issue of Superman for 25 cents. It was 2 and a half times the regular price but it was worth it. When they killed him off and brought him back as a freak who then renounced his American citenship, I gaVe up admiring the character. Making him an African-American can't fuck up his character any worse then it is. I suppose if the writers can have him find super_strength clippers embedded in some Red Kryptonite, they can turn him into a transsexual.

Pretty much all of the old superheroes are being recast. Iron man is going to be a black lesbian.

Prudence dictates that not all the characters undergo a PC makeover all at once. The track record so far indicates failure. More and it will be an outright fan rebellion.

Forum List

Back