Want gun control? Fight smart.

I was going to compose a letter to these young whippersnappers today, telling them that they are the voice of hope, but only if they refrain from the usual screeching and name calling and hyperbolic empty rhetoric that passes for political "debate" these days. I didn't have to write it--David Brooks already did.
I wanted to share it with all of you, and hope/wish you will all read it and think about it.

DAVID BROOKS

Respect First, Then Gun Control
merlin_134163675_7afe0555-aabb-4217-a80b-1e76a858205a-articleLarge.jpg

Students and family members gathered at a makeshift memorial for the victims of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Fla.CreditMark Wilson/Getty Images North America
brooks-circular-thumbLarge-v7.jpg

By David Brooks

Feb. 19, 2018
This has been an emotional week. We greet tragedies like the school shooting in Florida with shock, sadness, mourning and grief that turns into indignation and rage. The anger inevitably gets directed at the N.R.A., those who support gun rights, and the politicians who refuse to do anything while children die.

Many of us walked this emotional path. But we may end up doing more harm than good. If there’s one thing we’ve learned, it is that guns have become a cultural flash point in a nation that is unequal and divided. The people who defend gun rights believe that snobbish elites look down on their morals and want to destroy their culture. If we end up telling such people that they and their guns are despicable, they will just despise us back and dig in their heels.

So if you want to stop school shootings it’s not enough just to vent and march. It’s necessary to let people from Red America lead the way, and to show respect to gun owners at all points. There has to be trust and respect first. Then we can strike a compromise on guns as guns, and not some sacred cross in the culture war.

So I’ve been thinking about a group that’s in the trust and respect business. Better Angels is a nonprofit led by David Lapp, David Blankenhorn and a prominent family therapist, Bill Doherty. The team members travel from town to town finding members of the Red and Blue Tribes and bringing them together for long, humbling conversations.

My Times colleague April Lawson has gotten involved with Better Angels and has been reporting back on its techniques.

One of the most successful parts of the structured conversations is built around stereotypes. Doherty, the head moderator, asks the people at each gathering to name five major stereotypes that the other side throws at them. The Republicans invariably list “racist” first, followed by, say, “uncaring,” “uneducated,” “misogynistic” and “science deniers.”

You have 2 free articles remaining.

Subscribe to The Times

In a session Lawson attended, a Trump supporter acknowledged that the G.O.P. has had a spotty record on racial matters, but it’s important to him that Blues know that’s not why he holds his opinions.

Doherty says that the Reds feel shamed by the Blues to a much greater degree than the Blues realize. Reds are very reluctant to enter into a conversation with Blues, for fear of further shaming, but they often come to the table when they are told that this will be a chance to “de-monsterize” themselves.

At that session one Blue said she was really grateful to hear a Red acknowledge the Republican history on race. When Blues are asked about the stereotypes thrown at them, they tend to list “against religion and morality,” “unpatriotic” and “against personal responsibility” among their responses. They, too, relish the chance to clear the air.

After the stereotypes are discussed, the room feels different. As one Red in Ohio told Lawson, “I think we are all pretty clear on one thing: Don’t tell us who we are and what we think.” Another Red was moved almost to tears by the damage categories do. “We’re not just cookie-cutter people; we’re individuals. Just because you don’t like something, you don’t have to ridicule it — you probably don’t understand it,” she said. “When someone’s heart is full up with something, and then you demean it without even listening to them — I hate that.”

The discussions reveal other sensitivities. Some Blues didn’t want to enter a venue that had a “Don’t Tread on Me” flag on the wall. To Reds that was a neutral flag from American history, but to Blues it carried all sorts of nasty associations. Reds were offended by the lawn signs that said, “Hate Has No Home Here.” The implication: Hate has no home in my house, but it does in yours.

In another exercise, Reds and Blues ask each other honest, nonleading questions. Blues may ask Reds, “Name a safety-net program you can support.” Reds may ask Blues, “How do you balance having a heart with keeping health care costs under control?”

By the end of the conversations, the atmosphere has changed. Nearly always somebody will say that the discussion was easy because only moderates were in the room, not the people who post crazy stuff on Facebook. The staff tries not to smile, knowing that some of the people were selected precisely because of the intense stuff they posted on Facebook.

“This is not a civility organization,” Blankenhorn told Lawson. Better Angels is aiming to build a group of people whose personal bonds with their fellow citizens redefine how they engage in the political system.

We don’t really have policy debates anymore. We have one big tribal conflict, and policy fights are just proxy battles as each side tries to establish moral superiority. But just as the tribal mentality has been turned on, it can be turned off. Then and only then can we go back to normal politics and take reasonable measures to keep our children safe.

Michelle Goldberg is off today.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter (@NYTopinion), and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter.

A version of this article appears in print on February 20, 2018, on Page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: Respect First, Then Gun Control. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe
Thanks for posting this.

Sadly, there is no room for anything but the usual screeching and name calling and hyperbolic empty rhetoric that passes for political "debate" these days, regardless of the issue.

We're far more fixated on "beating" the other "side" than on collaborating to fix our problems.
I've let myself go under, too. I'm not all mature and grown up like Coyote. [sigh]
It's a long thread, but there have been a couple of good ideas brought up. The first several pages, people mostly talked. Then everyone had a couple beers, I guess.
It's a big problem. I have hope only if we can focus on our ears and keeping the scowl off our face and trying not to shoot people with our words. It's a lot to do all at once.

You referenced there not being a lot of discussion about limiting gunrights until people started abusing the privilege of ownership, I pointed out that such discussion to limit my rights because of the actions of others was wrong. I didn’t point out that firearms ownership is a right, not a privilege.
You brought up rights, not me.
The whole discussion is about rights
The OP was about how to approach each other about gun violence in order to have an effective discussion and hopefully come to some sort of agreement on solutions. Guns are only one piece of that.

Then approach the subject from a position of respecting my rights, unless I have misused them.
Sorry, that has been the current approach, and all too many people have died in schools, churches, and outdoor music concerts. We have to find a way to prevent crazies from getting their hands on these weapons. I have suggested a manner of doing so without an outright ban on the weapons. You fellows keep on preventing a reasonable way of preventing the murderers from getting these weapons, and there will be an outright ban on the assault weapons.

Gun bans will not work, they will. Be like the war on drugs. But, if you are determined to pursue failure,be my guest

And at crowded night clubs. And in an office building during a Christmas party.
It's the tool of choice, seems like.

I know ... How odd is that ... :dunno:
It's almost like using a hammer when you want to drive a nail.

Who needs to fight smart when you can fight dirty? Just trot out these supposedly traumatized teens to give their scripted interviews.

You're a misogynistic piece of shit bully hypocrite. Go piss in the wind
Lol you dumbass. There is a huge difference in saying 3-40 rounds in ten seconds and dozens of rounds in a couple minutes DERPTY DERP DERP
Keep on showing your ignorance about guns guns. Its REAL fun watching people want to take away rights that they DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND.
BTW, you missed a buncha commas, english teacher :D
Now what are you talking about? Dozens of rounds in a couple of minutes? The AR shoots very rapidly, here is a demonstration.

I said dozens of rounds in a minute, and TN & Co. said all guns can do that and I'm incredibly ignorant and have no right to an opinion on gun control I'm so stupid. This whole argument started with my statement, which I have heard over and over again from people who know, that AR-15's are faster and more powerful than other rifles. I'm a no-nothing dipshit for saying that.
I still believe what I've heard, though. They were cops and hunters and people who know guns.

Neither the pump .308 nor the lever .250 I own will fire dozens of rounds in a couple of minutes. Your have five shots, then you have to reload. In the years I hunted, I never emptied the magazine. In most cases, I took the deer home and had four unfired cartridges in my pocket from the gun.

The AR 15 fires a .22 caliber bullet at over 3000 fps. When it hits a person, the length of the bullet makes it tumble inside the victim, creating a horrible wound. It is a gun solely designed for killing other people, as many as possible, as fast as possible. And we have seen it's efficiency demonstrated in our schools and at an outdoor music concert.

How many firearms arent designed for killing? LOL Seriously?

All firearms are designed for killing. However, the hunting guns are designed for killing animals. And most states limit how many rounds the gun can carry. The assault weapons were designed only for one purpose, the killing of human beings, as many as possible. as fast as possible. So they have very large magazines that can be changed as fast as possible. For the AR 15, that is about 2 seconds. So, as we have found out all too well, they are really efficient at there intended purpose in churches, schools, outdoor music concert, night club, and Christmas parties.

The whole discussion is about rights
The OP was about how to approach each other about gun violence in order to have an effective discussion and hopefully come to some sort of agreement on solutions. Guns are only one piece of that.

Then approach the subject from a position of respecting my rights, unless I have misused them.
You do not want your gun rights changed. I have that. What about your other ideas?
I believe that you waste your time trying to get rid of firearms.I wish you and other rational people would focus on fast and effective treatment of the mentally ill
I'd be happy to spend energy on that. I fought to expand Medicaid in our state so people could afford to see a $100/hr counselor. To keep funds for addiction treatment and to fund psychiatric crisis beds in our hospitals. We lost. But I'd be happy to fight some more. It's gonna be a sticky one and it is a very complicated one, since the vast majority of the mentally ill wouldn't hurt a fly. Can they also not have guns? Who decides and how? That was the crux of this current shooting scenario and it's an important question, for sure.

Judges and Psychiatrists

Who needs to fight smart when you can fight dirty? Just trot out these supposedly traumatized teens to give their scripted interviews.
You do realize that you are a complete asshole. These teens have seen their friends shot down, an occurrance that has become all to common in the last few years.

You do not want your gun rights changed. I have that. What about your other ideas?
I believe that you waste your time trying to get rid of firearms.I wish you and other rational people would focus on fast and effective treatment of the mentally ill
I'd be happy to spend energy on that. I fought to expand Medicaid in our state so people could afford to see a $100/hr counselor. To keep funds for addiction treatment and to fund psychiatric crisis beds in our hospitals. We lost. But I'd be happy to fight some more. It's gonna be a sticky one and it is a very complicated one, since the vast majority of the mentally ill wouldn't hurt a fly. Can they also not have guns? Who decides and how? That was the crux of this current shooting scenario and it's an important question, for sure.

Judges and Psychiatrists
I would feel better with that than a blanket rule that blindly banned everyone with such and so a diagnosis from ever owning a gun. Might need some more judges and psychiatrists, though.

Lol you dumbass. There is a huge difference in saying 3-40 rounds in ten seconds and dozens of rounds in a couple minutes DERPTY DERP DERP
Keep on showing your ignorance about guns guns. Its REAL fun watching people want to take away rights that they DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND.
Now what are you talking about? Dozens of rounds in a couple of minutes? The AR shoots very rapidly, here is a demonstration.

I said dozens of rounds in a minute, and TN & Co. said all guns can do that and I'm incredibly ignorant and have no right to an opinion on gun control I'm so stupid. This whole argument started with my statement, which I have heard over and over again from people who know, that AR-15's are faster and more powerful than other rifles. I'm a no-nothing dipshit for saying that.
I still believe what I've heard, though. They were cops and hunters and people who know guns.

Neither the pump .308 nor the lever .250 I own will fire dozens of rounds in a couple of minutes. Your have five shots, then you have to reload. In the years I hunted, I never emptied the magazine. In most cases, I took the deer home and had four unfired cartridges in my pocket from the gun.

The AR 15 fires a .22 caliber bullet at over 3000 fps. When it hits a person, the length of the bullet makes it tumble inside the victim, creating a horrible wound. It is a gun solely designed for killing other people, as many as possible, as fast as possible. And we have seen it's efficiency demonstrated in our schools and at an outdoor music concert.

How many firearms arent designed for killing? LOL Seriously?

All firearms are designed for killing. However, the hunting guns are designed for killing animals. And most states limit how many rounds the gun can carry. The assault weapons were designed only for one purpose, the killing of human beings, as many as possible. as fast as possible. So they have very large magazines that can be changed as fast as possible. For the AR 15, that is about 2 seconds. So, as we have found out all too well, they are really efficient at there intended purpose in churches, schools, outdoor music concert, night club, and Christmas parties.

Yea, i see a lot of people hunting deer with a glock. Which is weird, because i heard they were made for ducks :dunno:

Judges and Psychiatrists
I would feel better with that than a blanket rule that blindly banned everyone with such and so a diagnosis from ever owning a gun. Might need some more judges and psychiatrists, though.
So you want to role back mental illness laws? o_O

You do realize that you are a complete asshole. These teens have seen their friends shot down, an occurrance that has become all to common in the last few years.

I don't care if you think I'm an asshole. You're a fucking idiot if you think this David Hogg character is being sincere in his interviews.

Sorry, that has been the current approach, and all too many people have died in schools, churches, and outdoor music concerts. We have to find a way to prevent crazies from getting their hands on these weapons. I have suggested a manner of doing so without an outright ban on the weapons. You fellows keep on preventing a reasonable way of preventing the murderers from getting these weapons, and there will be an outright ban on the assault weapons.

Your inability to effectively change the Constitution to suit your personal desires ...
In no way indicates us prevent you from doing anything other violating our rights.

It doesn't matter how you pose the argument ... Shit or get off the pot.

The Constitution allows for states to regulate firearms.
The Constitution allows for the repeal or amendment of itself.

You don't have the votes ...
That's why you and people like you attempt a legislative end-run ... :thup:

most guns cant fire that quick, OL. His wording was better than yours.
But he was wrong about it being "effectively a machine gun" simply reading the definition will tell you that. Definitions matter or they would be the same thing...
Also, i never told you all guns can shoot dozens of rounds in minutes. I said about half could. If not more.
You're a misogynistic piece of shit bully hypocrite. Go piss in the wind

LOL you liar!
I said half of them could. It takes less than 3 seconds for me to change a 15 round magazine in my 9mm. It takes a few seconds to shoot through it. You do the math.

And under the definition that I stated, that would require a class 3 license to have off of your property.

And if you haven't got a hammer, use the heel of your shoe or a rock or the cast iron skillet. None of which work as well. That's the point.

Judges and Psychiatrists
So you want to role back mental illness laws? o_O
I'm not answering any more of your questions you effin' snake.

Wrong. You cannot own a fully auto .45 Thompson without a class 3 firearms license. And in 13 states, the states have laws against private citizens owning them. Those laws have not been declared unconstitutional, nor has the ban on ownership without the class 3 license. The same could be applied to the ownership of the assault weapons. I suggested a way that would allow private citizens of good character to own them without undue financial hardship. You want to go full bore on no limits at all, and you are going to end up with an outright ban of private ownership of guns such as the AR 15. That will be on your head, and no skin off my nose.
What is your definition of Assault weapon......
Any firearm that can be fired a high rate, and has a magazine capability. That includes semi pistols, gatling guns, and semi's that can be loaded with high capacity magazines. That would actually allow the old Garand, as it had only an eight shot magazine, and you would have to alter it to have to a larger magazine. Such alteration would earn you a felony and jail term.
LLMMAAOOO effectively just outlawed everything but revolvers and some shotguns.....yet again libs want to change definitions to further their agenda of disarming you...
You are full shit. That does not effect lever guns, bolt action rifles, pump guns, or guns like the single shot rifles.
Did you or did you not just suggest a ban on the vast majority of guns sold today...be honest....numbers are easy to find
If the majority of guns sold today are assault weapons, then those buying them would be required to have a class 3 license. And those possessing these weapons already woul be required to have a class 3 license to have them off their property. That is not a ban or confiscation. If we get many more of these shootings because people like you prevent any measures from being taken to prevent them, I will support an outright ban and confiscation. As will many others, maybe enough to get that law passed. It is now up to you people that want these guns to take action to prevent them from getting in the hands of crazies, or the rest of us will take action to prevent anyone from possessing these guns, period.

Hey media fed puppet, you piss abut ar15's, what about all these?

Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

main-qimg-273816f3a8f8409af0ee2dece11ad6d2-c

SocomGreen_on_ground615x432.jpg

Springfield_Armory_M1A_Super_Match_308Win..jpg

5565-norinco-m305-m14-img_2848.jpg

springfield_m1_left.jpg

All-Around-SKS-8.jpg

iipsrv.fcgi

And this is just a hand full you moron
Don't you dare "you moron" me. I don't give a shit what it looks like. If it can fire dozens of bullets per minute into a crowd, we don't need it on the streets.
How many guns made do you think CANT do that? Good lord.
I've heard that bullshit argument before. You know AR-15's are faster and more powerful. Why are you lying?
:cuckoo:
Faster and powerful? You obviously know nothing of firearms whatsoever. Now go run along to your safe space, snowflake you have no credibility on the matter...
Yes, they're faster and more powerful and I've heard Chief of Police and DOJ officials admit it. THEY know about guns. Do you want them to all go back to their safe spaces, too?
Most AR15s are .223/5.56 a very common cartridge they are no different wheather they are in a bolt gun, lever action or single. They are not anymore powerful and faster. Dumbass
They are telling you that they know nothing about firearms to because you obviously know absolutely nothing about them...

I would love to know what law would have stopped that kid from shooting up the school.
Well there was one law back during Jimmy Carters regime, and that was to allow insane people back into society. That right there started the closing of asylums that would of kept people who want to hurt themselves and others.

Jimmy Carter: Mental Health Systems Legislation Message to the Congress Transmitting the Proposed Legislation.
I am today submitting to Congress the Mental Health Systems Act. This proposed legislation establishes a new partnership between the federal government and the states in the planning 'and provision of mental health services. It seeks to assure that the chronically mentally ill no longer face the cruel alternative of unnecessary institutionalization or inadequate care in the community.
When these sick people were allowed out of the institution, soon there were razor blades in apples and needles in candy bars at Halloween. And the rest is history....Liberal compassion ends up killing people...
Mental health laws wouldnt have stopped this guy either. He was apparently OKd by the FBI (or did they just forget?) AND the state welfare office. The childrens office deemed him perfectly sane.
What I heard over the weekend was about a kid who had explosive moments. He was always calm enough when the police or social workers arrived to be deemed "not a threat." He lived with the new family for over three months and was quiet, polite and followed all their rules. He was loving to their animals. What was happening in his mind, he kept to himself all too well.
The FBI did "forget," but he may well have bullshitted his way out of that interview, too.
He had ten guns. Why did he choose the AR-15? We all know why.

Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

springfield_m1_left.jpg

All-Around-SKS-8.jpg

iipsrv.fcgi

Don't you dare "you moron" me. I don't give a shit what it looks like. If it can fire dozens of bullets per minute into a crowd, we don't need it on the streets.

50 rounds a minute can be achieved with a bolt-action rifle. That's dozens, and the bullets are usually way bigger than an AR. One bullet could easily go through 3 people.

Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

springfield_m1_left.jpg

All-Around-SKS-8.jpg

iipsrv.fcgi

How many guns made do you think CANT do that? Good lord.
I've heard that bullshit argument before. You know AR-15's are faster and more powerful. Why are you lying?
You clearly no nothing about firearms, my God you are ignorant.
Sure, Mike, I'm sure there are guns faster and more powerful than an AR-15. They should be banned, also.
Lol
You are a stupid as a bag of hammers, educate yourself on the subject before you speak. You looping bitch

Your inability to effectively change the Constitution to suit your personal desires ...
In no way indicates us prevent you from doing anything other violating our rights.

It doesn't matter how you pose the argument ... Shit or get off the pot.

The Constitution allows for states to regulate firearms.
The Constitution allows for the repeal or amendment of itself.

You don't have the votes ...
That's why you and people like you attempt a legislative end-run ... :thup:

What a damned fool you are. You just stated the way that very restrictive gun laws can be put into effect. Through state legislation. Either those of you that wish to own these types of firearms find a way to prevent the murder of our children, or the rest of us will find it for you, and you are not going to like that.

Forum List

Back