Walmart on Welfare: We support their employees so they don't have to.

How thick are you, son? Have you never worked in production?

Food costs rely on labor. Labor costs rely on the minimum wage (as a floor). When the floor rises, so too do the food costs in order to recoup the higher production expenses.

Holy shit dude, you can't possibly be this dense.

That's the most simplistic thing I've seen on this site maybe ever. You clearly know nothing about this.

Your opinion stopped being relevant when I discovered you were a presumptive ass that assumed you knew more about what I've lived through than I do.
Translation: I can't possibly defend the bullshit I spew so I'll deflect with a lie.
^ More presumptive bullshit. I was the only white boy within miles, living in the projects. Life was an adventure, to put it mildly.

Just shut the fuck up, you're bullshitting about stuff you can't possibly know about.
Yeah, you grew up eating Velveeta so that qualifies you to discourse on the effect of min wage laws on food prices.
Give me a fucking break.

I fucking wish. Velveeta was a luxury we couldn't afford. Growing up in the projects qualifies me to say that just because one grows up there doesn't mean they have to stay there their entire life.

As I've said all along, it is a choice to live in poverty. There are alternatives. If people choose to stay in the ghetto, they have other priorities that are more important than money. To each their own.

As far as the minimum wage impacting food costs, that's just plain common sense. If you have to pay workers a higher wage, you have to charge more for your products and services to offset the higher costs. QED.

Yeah, the Republican Party does have a real problem. Being known as the 'Fat Greedy Angry White Man Party', just isn't a winner for the future. They're gonna have to change their stance on the Working Man a bit. Always licking Corporate boots and insulting hard-working Americans, is a losing position for sure.

Last edited:
That's the most simplistic thing I've seen on this site maybe ever. You clearly know nothing about this.

Your opinion stopped being relevant when I discovered you were a presumptive ass that assumed you knew more about what I've lived through than I do.
Translation: I can't possibly defend the bullshit I spew so I'll deflect with a lie.
^ More presumptive bullshit. I was the only white boy within miles, living in the projects. Life was an adventure, to put it mildly.

Just shut the fuck up, you're bullshitting about stuff you can't possibly know about.
Yeah, you grew up eating Velveeta so that qualifies you to discourse on the effect of min wage laws on food prices.
Give me a fucking break.

I fucking wish. Velveeta was a luxury we couldn't afford. Growing up in the projects qualifies me to say that just because one grows up there doesn't mean they have to stay there their entire life.

As I've said all along, it is a choice to live in poverty. There are alternatives. If people choose to stay in the ghetto, they have other priorities that are more important than money. To each their own.

As far as the minimum wage impacting food costs, that's just plain common sense. If you have to pay workers a higher wage, you have to charge more for your products and services to offset the higher costs. QED.

That is of course only true if one wishes to make sure their own bottom line isn't decreased.

And guess what? Companies already do not raise prices just because their labor goes up. Can you just see it "Holy shit, Johnny over on Line 3 got a raise, we better jack up our prices"

Come on. this argument is stupid. A typical McD franchise would spend about an $30K a year on wages if the minimum wage went up to $10 an hour. The typical McD franchisee has a profit of about $200K a year , I don't feel sorry for him if the min wage goes up.

Give me a fucking break.

Wow, you're a rock star for sure.
I didnt grow up in a ghetto and I can say growing up there doesnt mean you have to spend your life there. But none of that is fucking relevant to this thread.
DId you earn 150% of min wage on your first job? Probably not. Beause that's what we're talking about here: a first job for someone, or a first job in a long time. Because those are the people who take min wage jobs. Within about 18 months of less they should have developed basic job skills that justified a higher wage. But if they dont get that first job, then what? They're screwed.

PLain common sense is no substitute for hard fact. Restaurants are probably the most labor intensive of the food industries. And their costs run towards 30%. Other companies in different areas will have much lower costs. Lots of things affect food cost. Labor is one of many.

Give me a fucking break.

That is of course only true if one wishes to make sure their own bottom line isn't decreased.

If a CEO wants to keep his job, he won't want his bottom line decreased because stockholders aren't excited about shrinking profit margins.

Holy shit, I can't believe I'm having to spell out such simplistic bullshit.

Give me a fucking break.

If a CEO wants to keep his job, he won't want his bottom line decreased because stockholders aren't excited about shrinking profit margins.

Exactly, which is why no CEO is ever going to on their own say "Hey we need to raise wages $2 an hour across the board"

Which is also why no CEO ever said "Guys, we need to spend $1M to clean up this lake we destroyed" on their own.

WHich is also why no CEO ever said "Hey I know it will cost us millions of dollars a yer, but I think we should destroy a couple hundred cars a year to make sure they are safe " on their own

Etc, etc, etc.

Government of course has a role here.

Give me a fucking break.

I didnt grow up in a ghetto and I can say growing up there doesnt mean you have to spend your life there. But none of that is fucking relevant to this thread.
DId you earn 150% of min wage on your first job? Probably not. Beause that's what we're talking about here: a first job for someone, or a first job in a long time. Because those are the people who take min wage jobs. Within about 18 months of less they should have developed basic job skills that justified a higher wage. But if they dont get that first job, then what? They're screwed.

PLain common sense is no substitute for hard fact. Restaurants are probably the most labor intensive of the food industries. And their costs run towards 30%. Other companies in different areas will have much lower costs. Lots of things affect food cost. Labor is one of many.

You truly are a dumb shit.

Restaurants are not food production, they are food SERVICE.

Shut the fuck up now.

Give me a fucking break.

Shut the fuck up now.

Some are both.

But your point stands...

Give me a fucking break.

Greed is not 'Good.' Jesus taught us that. How much is enough?

Give me a fucking break.

I think a certain level of greed is good, but woah nelly.

Give me a fucking break.

I think a certain level of greed is good, but woah nelly.

Greed kills. It's certainly killing our Country. How much is enough? How much more harm will the Corporations cause to increase their profits? What new low will they stoop to?

Give me a fucking break.

Exactly, which is why no CEO is ever going to on their own say "Hey we need to raise wages $2 an hour across the board"

Which is also why no CEO ever said "Guys, we need to spend $1M to clean up this lake we destroyed" on their own.

WHich is also why no CEO ever said "Hey I know it will cost us millions of dollars a yer, but I think we should destroy a couple hundred cars a year to make sure they are safe " on their own

Etc, etc, etc.

I agree with the first three paragraphs of your post, and conditionally agree on the last statement.

When it comes to safety in production and quality standards, I agree there is room for government oversight.

However, when it comes to what a person is or is not willing to do, that person should be able to make their own decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions. It's called freedom, and it needs to be exercised diligently and responsibly.

If people are willing to work for $1/hour, let 'em. If an employer can't find employees willing to work for $1/hour, then by God he has to offer more until he reaches a number that people are willing to accept.

If people work for $1/hour and can't make ends meet, they are victims of their own piss poor planning and need to take responsibility for that.

Give me a fucking break.

Etc, etc, etc.

I agree with the first three paragraphs of your post, and conditionally agree on the last statement.

When it comes to safety in production and quality standards, I agree there is room for government oversight.

However, when it comes to what a person is or is not willing to do, that person should be able to make their own decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions. It's called freedom, and it needs to be exercised diligently and responsibly.

If people are willing to work for $1/hour, let 'em. If an employer can't find employees willing to work for $1/hour, then by God he has to offer more until he reaches a number that people are willing to accept.

If people work for $1/hour and can't make ends meet, they are victims of their own piss poor planning and need to take responsibility for that.

True enough House, but that won't work in our nation. For one very simple reason.

We will NEVER just allow people to starve to death, I mean as in our government won't. Welfare is never going away. It may change , and adjust , but no one who ever wants to do away with it entirely is ever going to be elected to any position to be able to do so.

Therefor, we artificially have people who are willing to work for a low wage.

Let's take a theoretical family with two parents and two kids, both parents working full time for $8 an hour.

That's 8 * 4160 hours or $34k a year before taxes. That family would qualify for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K in welfare if one includes SNAP, and subsidized school lunches, etc etc.

That $10K a year makes it MUCH MUCH easier for companies to pay lousy wages. Take that away and people are going to be "what the fuck? No I need $10K more in pay."

Now, here's the sad part. That extra $10K that would put those people above the welfare threshold, would cost each of their employees an extra $2.40 an hour.

I agree, turn off welfare and employers would be forced to pay more. But we aren't turning off welfare.

True enough House, but that won't work in our nation. For one very simple reason.

We will NEVER just allow people to starve to death, I mean as in our government won't. Welfare is never going away. It may change , and adjust , but no one who ever wants to do away with it entirely is ever going to be elected to any position to be able to do so.

Let's take a theoretical family with two parents and two kids, both parents working full time for $8 an hour.

That's 8 * 4160 hours or $34k a year before taxes. That family would qualify for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K in welfare if one includes SNAP, and subsidized school lunches, etc etc.

That $10K a year makes it MUCH MUCH easier for companies to pay lousy wages. Take that away and people are going to be "what the fuck? No I need $10K more in pay."

Now, here's the sad part. That extra $10K that would put those people above the welfare threshold, would cost each of their employees an extra $2.40 an hour.

I agree, turn off welfare and employers would be forced to pay more. But we aren't turning off welfare.

Alright then, here's a solution you'll be hard pressed to argue.

Leave welfare alone, and destroy the minimum wage. Make those on welfare work a certain number of hours according to their physical abilities, even if it is a $1/hour job, supplemented by SNAP, AFDC, SSI, etc.

People would quickly come to decide that they might as well make a decent wage if they have to work anyway, and the number of people on the dole would shrink considerably.

Give me a fucking break.

Shut the fuck up now.
Youre the one raging about how you made it out of the fucking ghetto. How irrelevant can you be? You've made statements you cant possibly support with evidene. SOmehow we're supposed to take your word on it because you lived in gov't housing.

Leave welfare alone, and destroy the minimum wage. Make those on welfare work a certain number of hours according to their physical abilities, even if it is a $1/hour job, supplemented by SNAP, AFDC, SSI, etc.

People would quickly come to decide that they might as well make a decent wage if they have to work anyway, and the number of people on the dole would shrink considerably.

I prefer raising the minimum wage and getting rid of welfare in favor of workfare.

Let me ask you, could your town use some cleaning up, some fresh paint on public buildings, maybe some lawn
care on public grounds. Roads repaired, bathrooms cleaned? Things of that nature? Of course, all towns could.

So, the solution is simple. Raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour and tell anyone who doesn't have a job to report to city hall.

Failing to do one of those two things , you go hungry. If kids go hungry because of your failure, you go to jail.

Simple and done.

I should add, this wouldn't apply to the truly disabled.

Last edited:

Wow you come up with that all on your own?
The problem is that with a high min wage, those people arent employable. The cost to create work for them to do would be greater than just sending them money. And the rolls of Disability would swell considerably. Plus anyone proposing it would be called mean and heartless.
IOW, it's a non starter.

The problem is that with a high min wage, those people arent employable. The cost to create work for them to do would be greater than just sending them money. And the rolls of Disability would swell considerably. Plus anyone proposing it would be called mean and heartless.
IOW, it's a non starter.
Has been claimed every time the minimum wage is increased.

Hasn't came true yet.

See, what you and your fellow morons don't seem to understand is that a minimum wage increase is inevitable. It's going to happen, no matter how much you scream "no no no"

The only you are accomplishing is assuring that you have no voice in how MUCH of an increase happens.

IOW, it's a non starter.
Has been claimed every time the minimum wage is increased.

Hasn't came true yet.

See, what you and your fellow morons don't seem to understand is that a minimum wage increase is inevitable. It's going to happen, no matter how much you scream "no no no"

The only you are accomplishing is assuring that you have no voice in how MUCH of an increase happens.

The minimum wage increases have never had significant repercussions, because they've never raised it to a meaningful level. That's why I'd actually like to the dimwits supporting it shoot for the moon. If people really believe minimum wage has no negative repercussions, why not raise it to something truly 'liveable'? We should set the minimum wage at $30/hr and watch what happens. Maybe then they'd get it.

Forum List

Back