Wall Street Journal--Newt Gingrich could be the GOP nominee

Not caring that Newt backed and worked to pass GLB which caused this economic mess is insanity

It was passed with bi-partisan support and signed into law by Clinton. And you want to blame Newt?

Damn you are one stupid fuck!

You are ignoring all the facts.

look at my signature and see that the Bush SEC refused to instate the protections in the 1999 law which could have prevented this mess.

They did not instate those parts of the GLB act for 7 years........why?

SEC Votes for Final Rules Defining How Banks Can Be Securities Brokers
Eight Years After Passage of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Key Provisions Will Now Be Implemented
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190
Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2007 - Ending eight years of stalled negotiations and impasse, the Commission today voted to adopt, jointly with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), new rules that will finally implement the bank broker provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. The Board will consider these final rules at its Sept. 24, 2007 meeting. The Commission and the Board consulted with and sought the concurrence of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of Thrift Supervision.

Willow wwe all know facts have no meaning to you.

The facts are Gingritch caused this problem ( even he admitts it now) and now he wants to be president with his record of failure.

Thinking people will care

Hey dumbass, Newt did not say he caused it. Hell even the link you copied from wikipedia states that Gramm introduced the bill in the Senate and Leach in the House and Clinton signed it into law.

The bill that ultimately "repealed" the Act was brought up in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and in the House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa) in 1999. The bills were passed by a Republican majority, basically following party lines by a 54–44 vote in the Senate[15] and by a bi-partisan 343–86 vote in the House of Representatives.[16] After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90–8 (one not voting) and in the House: 362–57 (15 not voting). The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.[17]

In reality, "[t]he 'repeal' involved only one provision of the Act, the one preventing the same holding company from controlling both a commercial bank and an investment bank."[18] Proponents argue that repealing this provision had little impact on the financial system and even helped restore stability during the financial crisis.[18][19][20] Ten years after its repeal, detractors condemn Glass-Stegall's repeal for reestablishing conflict of interest within the financial industry and fostering "too big to fail" institutions that led to the housing market collapse and its associated financial crisis. [21]

The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass–Steagall since at least the 1980s. In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report which explored the cases for and against preserving the Glass–Steagall act.[14]

Where is Newt's name even mentioned!?!?!

The facts are Gingritch caused this problem ( even he admitts it now) and now he wants to be president with his record of failure.

Hey dumbass, Newt did not say he caused it. Hell even the link you copied from wikipedia states that Gramm introduced the bill in the Senate and Leach in the House and Clinton signed it into law.

The bill that ultimately "repealed" the Act was brought up in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and in the House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa) in 1999. The bills were passed by a Republican majority, basically following party lines by a 54–44 vote in the Senate[15] and by a bi-partisan 343–86 vote in the House of Representatives.[16] After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90–8 (one not voting) and in the House: 362–57 (15 not voting). The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.[17]

In reality, "[t]he 'repeal' involved only one provision of the Act, the one preventing the same holding company from controlling both a commercial bank and an investment bank."[18] Proponents argue that repealing this provision had little impact on the financial system and even helped restore stability during the financial crisis.[18][19][20] Ten years after its repeal, detractors condemn Glass-Stegall's repeal for reestablishing conflict of interest within the financial industry and fostering "too big to fail" institutions that led to the housing market collapse and its associated financial crisis. [21]

The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass–Steagall since at least the 1980s. In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report which explored the cases for and against preserving the Glass–Steagall act.[14]

she bat shit crazy and a liar to boot.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I like Newt.

His baggage doesn't bother me on iota.

The GOP could do a hell of a lot worse than Newt getting the nomination.

I would dearly love to see Barry and Newt in a debate.

My moneys on Newt.
....Becasue of his lil' advantage, no doubt:

Yeah.....that'd definitely give him an advantage; per the Dead-O-Heads & various Teabaggers.

Quoting Me Is Lying About Me

323.png

317.gif

Not caring that Newt backed and worked to pass GLB which caused this economic mess is insanity

It was passed with bi-partisan support and signed into law by Clinton. And you want to blame Newt?

look at my signature and see that the Bush SEC refused to instate the protections in the 1999 law which could have prevented this mess.

Ever hear of "Dodd, Frank?" Among other things, THAT is what caused our economic melt down. Not Newt Gingrich.

You're dismissed.

she bat shit crazy and a liar to boot.

What was Newt's job at the time?

Why change the subject?

We are talking about Newt not Bush.

Newt played no role in Bush's administration.

At least concede on the argument at hand before starting another.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjmZ3MkLb0w]Bill Clinton: Can't Count Gingrich out of the GOP Race - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty decent evaluation, although done a little bit ago.

Why change the subject?

We are talking about Newt not Bush.

Newt played no role in Bush's administration.

At least concede on the argument at hand before starting another.

Newsvine - Newt Gingrich and the GOP writing a new Contract to Destroy America

Newt worked to deregulate all his carreer.

He helped GLB pass.

The restrictions that were NOT implimented by republicans who controled the entire government are part of the history of this bill.

Newt fought for it and now adimitts DEREGULATION caused this mess.

He is now PRO REGULATION.

That is against what all republicans I know tout as what we should do.

Are you PRO regulation?

Gingrich is a very impressive man. He has done great during the debates. He has an impressive resume. I would be happy with him, although I prefer a businessman first!

Newt is for reregulating the banking industry while he fought to deregulate it in the 90s.

His leadership helped cause this problem and now he is flip flopping

That is a little of my issue with him. Gramm-Leach-Bliliey has been a disaster. However, reviving the Community Reinvestment Act, providing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac the power to create an artificial secondary market is solely on Clinton, Frank and Dodds. CRA and power to FM & FM are the root causes that great the poor lending decision. GLB created a conflict of interest that was destined for disaster in allowing commercial banks, investment banks (brokerage houses) and insurance companies to be one entity.

CRA was the OVER-REGULATION that lead to the meltdown!

Wow a guy isn't allowed to admit something was a mistake. Jesus Christ give the guy credit for admitting he was wrong. I give Obama credit for changing his stance on Gitmo.

Flip-flopping for political gain, such as saying you pro-abortion if that is popular and then switching to pro-life because that is popular is wrong. However, when a guy says that was the wrong move and I am against then and you see that as a character flaw. Your an even biggest partisan hack than I thought!

I like Newt.

His baggage doesn't bother me on iota.

The GOP could do a hell of a lot worse than Newt getting the nomination.

I would dearly love to see Barry and Newt in a debate.

My moneys on Newt.

Newt would crush Obozo in a debate. I could live with Newt as our nom.
You Teabaggers always DID enjoy.....

....and, Porky Gingrich has NEVER disappointed!!!

wow-newt-book.jpg

Forum List

Back