Wall Street Journal--Newt Gingrich could be the GOP nominee

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
In today’s Wall Street Journal, Dorothy Rabinowitz lays out a surprisingly strong argument on how Newt Gingrich could work his way up to the top of the polls and grab the Republican nomination. At the heart of her argument? “No candidate in the field comes close to his talent for connection,” Rabinowitz writes. “There’s no underestimating the importance of such a power in the presidential election ahead. His rise in the polls suggests that more and more Republicans are absorbing that fact.”

Gingrich is, indeed, rising in the polls. According to the Real Clear Politics averages, Gingrich was at 4.4% on September 12, sitting in fifth place. As of yesterday, he had climbed to 12.2% and was in third. At this time four years ago, Rudy Giuliani (30%) was leading the polls for the Republican nomination, Fred Thompson (16%) was in second, and John McCain (15.6%), the eventual nominee, was in third.

Another way of tracking Gingrich’s surging popularity as a candidate is through his appearances and mentions on television. Using TVEyes, a site that tracks and aggregates appearances on all television stations — from MTV all the way down to local news — one can see the Gingrich boom. His mentions and appearances have quadrupled in a month. In the second week of October, he was averaging 255.14 mentions on television per day. So far this week, he’s averaging 943.15 mentions each day, trailing Herman Cain (8,215, but those numbers are inflated by the string of accusations), Mitt Romney (1,795), and Rick Perry (1,505).

Yes, Gingrich has some baggage, but it’s becoming apparent that everyone in the GOP race has their baggage, as well. Mitt Romney’s a flip-flopper, Rick Perry can’t debate, Herman Cain may or may not have sexually harassed four women — and the list goes all the way down. But with Americans looking for some help with their finances and a way to fix the economy, an affair from 17 years ago might be consciously obscured by Gingrich’s knowledge, historical observations, and “I can fix that” plans for almost everything that ails the country.

Wall Street Journal: Newt Gingrich Can Win GOP Nomination | Mediaite

It looks like Newt Gingrich is coming on real strong here. My opinion--I think he moves into second place--behind Romney fairly quickly--with Herman Cain's problems with the recent sexual harassment accusations.

Last edited:
I like Newt.

His baggage doesn't bother me on iota.

The GOP could do a hell of a lot worse than Newt getting the nomination.

I would dearly love to see Barry and Newt in a debate.

My moneys on Newt.

Newt is for reregulating the banking industry while he fought to deregulate it in the 90s.

His leadership helped cause this problem and now he is flip flopping

Newt is for reregulating the banking industry while he fought to deregulate it in the 90s.

The other thing that helped is the Democrats, especially Barney Frank, stonewalling every attempt by Bush to regulate or at least audit Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. Now the Democrats are flip-flopping. So what? Live and learn.

The other thing that helped is the Democrats, especially Barney Frank, stonewalling every attempt by Bush to regulate or at least audit Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. Now the Democrats are flip-flopping. So what? Live and learn.

The republicans had the majority and could have steamrolled over Franks

Gramm

Legislative history

Final Congressional vote by chamber and party, November 4, 1999
The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of the 1933 Glass–Steagall Act since the 1980s, if not earlier. In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report that explored the cases for and against preserving the Glass–Steagall act.[3]

Respective versions of the legislation were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001.

During debate in the House of Representatives, Rep. John Dingell (D-Michigan) argued that the bill would result in banks becoming "too big to fail." Dingell further argued that this would necessarily result in a bailout by the Federal Government.[4]

The House passed its version of the Financial Services Act of 1999 on 1 July 1999 by a bipartisan vote of 343-86 (Republicans 205–16; Democrats 138–69; Independent 0–1),[5][6][note 1] two months after the Senate had already passed its version of the bill on May 6 by a much-narrower 54–44 vote along basically-partisan lines (53 Republicans and one Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).[8][9][10][note 2]

When the two chambers could not agree on a joint version of the bill, the House voted on July 30 by a vote of 241-132 (R 58-131; D 182-1; Ind. 1–0) to instruct its negotiators to work for a law which ensured that consumers enjoyed medical and financial privacy as well as "robust competition and equal and non-discriminatory access to financial services and economic opportunities in their communities" (i.e., protection against exclusionary redlining).[note 3]

The bill then moved to a joint conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. Democrats agreed to support the bill after Republicans agreed to strengthen provisions of the anti-redlining Community Reinvestment Act and address certain privacy concerns; the conference committee then finished its work by the beginning of November.[9][12] On November 4, the final bill resolving the differences was passed by the Senate 90-8,[13][note 4] and by the House 362-57.[14][note 5] The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.[15]

Last edited:
Wall Street Journal--Newt Gingrich could be the GOP nominee
Gee.....the Murdoch Street Journal is endorsing "Frig" Newton. Whatta huge surprise.

handjob.gif

Not being a FAUX-fan, I can't remember (ever) hearing-about when his show is on.....like all of ol' Rupert's (other) candidates.

I guess it's (always) possible this is the way Rupe warms-up his audience for a new show.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......title?....title?....title?......

FRIG'S FUN HOUSE!!

PORKY GINGRICH'S PORCINE-PARLOR!!

Not caring that Newt backed and worked to pass GLB which caused this economic mess is insanity

This is the GOP nomination fucktard. We don't expect your dumb ass to like him. We don't even give a shit that you don't like him. Get it now? or Knot? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Willow wwe all know facts have no meaning to you.

The facts are Gingritch caused this problem ( even he admitts it now) and now he wants to be president with his record of failure.

Thinking people will care

This is the GOP nomination fucktard. We don't expect your dumb ass to like him. We don't even give a shit that you don't like him. Get it now? or Knot? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The fact that liberals are even weighing in at this point proves how utterly stupid they are.

Willow wwe all know facts have no meaning to you.

The facts are Gingritch caused this problem ( even he admitts it now) and now he wants to be president with his record of failure.

Thinking people will care

I bet your sorry dumb ass ain't gonna vote for him.. am I warm? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh goodie ... is this another thread hijacked by TM?
I'm so thankful for the ignore function. I wish it worked when other members quoted her in their posts.

Forum List

Back