Wal Mart workers threaten walkout on Black Friday

The ultimate beneficiary of that business model is the consumer because they get better merchandise at lower prices. Those mom and pops sell the same cheap stuff from China, they just charge more for it. Since the volume is low, most of what they sell is old, outdated and in the area of food, mostly spoiled.

It isn't hard for a small store to compete with Wal Mart. They just have to be clever. They have to innovate. Small mom and pop stores think they can just open their doors and customers will walk in, pay more and get less customer service. Return something to Wal Mart. A bored clerk processes the return and gives you your money. Return something to a mom and pop, get an argument and you will never see your money.

:eusa_hand: ummm..... the "consumer has to have a job :eusa_eh:

There you have another issue! A mom and pop might hire one or two employees. Wal Mart hires 100 or more.

why don't you just come out & say you like monopolies? :eusa_eh: You've been phellating them since your 1st-post on this thread :lol:

Moron.Obviously have never worked for Wal Mart or care anything about paying people decent wages.

so how much do you think is a decent wage for a deli clerk?
And please explain it regarding its skill level. Also explain how it will affect overall cost of product.

Moron.Obviously have never worked for Wal Mart or care anything about paying people decent wages.

He wants Big Gubmint to make sure to force employers to pay the wages and benefits he believes he deserves.

Oh wait

No, he is an anarchist who wants government to be destroyed and so that it stops telling people what to do..

ROTFL

A deli clerk is worth at least $45k annually... Im mean shit, working that slicer is heady stuff.

There is no reason why a small store can't compete with a major retailer. They just have to be different. They have to offer something that Wal Mart doesn't. Or, they have to offer it differently. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I saw a failing mom and pop grocery turn around and be very successful once their son graduated from business school and changed the model. That direct competition was a Ralphs mega store two blocks away.

If a small store thinks it can open its doors and sell overpriced stuff, mostly out of date and spoiled, it can't complain that the customers are going to Wal Mart.

A deli clerk is worth at least $45k annually... Im mean shit, working that slicer is heady stuff.

Its more than that. Course you wouldn't know that since you have never worked in a deli. Computer programmers don't do labor hard work but they get paid a hefty wage...

Overall wal mart pays low wages,keeps you under 40 hours so as not to give you benefits and any hint of dissent is immediately suppressed...maybe union is not the answer but something needs to be done.

Amen! I say we start by rounding up all the goons holding guns to peoples' heads to make them work at WM.

I know I will never do it again...just ain't worth it.

Then they are the minority. My wife with over 2 years experience in the deli at most has made 8.90$ an hour...how the hell is that a livable wage? Oh and at most 38 hours a week...can't have your workers actually being full time now can ya.

You support wal marts horrible policies?

If they are so horrible then why do people work there?

As I said no one is forcing anyone to work at Walmart.

If they are so horrible then why do people work there?

As I said no one is forcing anyone to work at Walmart.

No slight to anyone in particular least of all Dissent's wife but just what is worth more than $8.90 working in a deli dept. Slicing cold cuts, putiing coleslaw in a container...what is Walmart supposed to pay and still make a profit?

They should pay like all other companies based on experience. When she started there it was 7.65$ then she was given a raise to 8.05$. We moved and she got a job at another wal mart and they started her at 8.90$ but she was never given a raise...we barely made ends meet so she really had no way to go to college like she wants because that mean's cutting back hours to go and that means less money to pay bills etc...life is hard on everyone understandable but wal mart is like a cannibal just waiting to pounce on high school graduates who can't find work and they put them to work just like they do the slave labor in China and overseas plants...people who work for wal mart do so because they come in push the small stores out of business and then people have no choice but to work for them.

There are fully accredited online colleges like Kaplan University and University of Phoenix...class seminars are once a week and you can pick from several time slots as to when you want to attend class. The seminars are one hour per class each week, and you can log in if you miss a seminar and participate in a recording of the seminar with full audio and video. It's a flexible option.

Its more than that. Course you wouldn't know that since you have never worked in a deli. Computer programmers don't do labor hard work but they get paid a hefty wage...

Meat-slicers should all pull down 100K, easy.

Of course, your chipped ham would be $16.99 a pound.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Those are salaries, not benefits. Do you know how much 1-day in the ER costs?

Yeah the benefit package is not that good for part timers IF you can even get them.
This is snipped from USA Today Money

Higher bar for benefits
Fluctuating hours also make it difficult to qualify — and pay — for health care coverage, workers complain.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits six months after being hired, while part-time employees must wait a year and average 30 hours weekly, Walmart says. That's up from an average 24 hours a week for part-time employees hired before Feb. 1, 2012. There's no minimum for part-timers hired before Jan. 15, 2011.
Walmart says it changed its health care plan to more closely conform to the new federal health care law.
Greg Fletcher, an electronics sales associate at the Duarte, Calif., store, works 24 to 32 hours a week and says he's getting the "high end" of available hours. His wife also works at Walmart but lacks enough hours to earn benefits. Together they made $25,000 last year. Fletcher says Walmart's benefits would cost up to a third of his paycheck to cover his family.
"For a lot of people, it's just an unaffordable option," the 29-year-old says.
Instead, the Fletchers are on Medi-Cal, California's Medicaid program, to help cover themselves and their two sons, ages 6 and 9 months.

Cry me a river. Respiratory Therapists employed at major hospitals, with specilaized college training are kept under 40 hours and they pay for their benefits.

Who's crying? We were discussing Wal-Mart benefits. What an RT has to o with that IDK. I but since we are now changing the subject... I can see that because I met an EMT not long ago and was VERY surprised th learn how little they make with their special training.

Yes, because they have a skill that is in demand and requires a fair amount of high-level training.

Anyone can work a slicer or make a sandwich. It isn't rocket science... hence the low wage. It isn't that hard to understand.

This is one of the comments on the article:

Let me tell you i have worked at Wal-Mart for 5 years and Ican tell you that some of the mangment there should be firedfor playing friends and false papper work.Wal-Mart doesn't not have an oped door like they tell you eather.There realy is no open door at wal-mart.And let me tell you that there is alot of mangment having more than friends with there co workers.Wal-Mart doesn't not have the right mangemnt in place there mangment doen't know who to even handle alot of things that come up in there stores they say we have to check into it and never get bcak to you caes the know there are wrogn and wal-mart will not fire bad mangment.At 1 wal-mart 14 workers walked out caes of bad mangment wal-marts mangment was in the wrong by wal mart's own words but would not do what there own ploicey said they had to do wal mart just reayl suck's and wal mart is a very sexeist place to work.I would tell every body to stop going to wal mart till wal mart know's that the people have the power.Stop going to WAL-MART stand up for your right's.

This person is complaining a lot and telling consumers to boycott the store, but based on spelling, punctuation and grammar they ought to be pretty damn happy to have a job, period.

Fifty bucks an hour should be the minimum "living wage"...............

Illiterates have rights...........

Forum List

Back