Wal Mart and Censorship

No shit, my mother works at wal-mart at 78 years old. (Womans department) tell me what other company would hire a woman in her 70's?

Again with the anecdotal "evidence"? That isn't suitable for policy analysis; only statistical evidence can muster that task.

Don't be an asshole. Everybody knows somebody in there 70's works the door at Wal-Mart. Just like most of the time Chick-fil-A will have someone with Down's Syndrome cleaning the tables.

First of all, who lets their 78 year old mother work? Your crack habit getting expensive?
Secondly, greeting people at the door has to be the most humiliating job possible, and is actually quite annoying, don't you think?

should walmart be forced to sell something they don't want to?

Absolutely not, but I'm not forced, for lack of funds, to buy from them either. Now, if you want an analogy, should a pharmacy be forced to sell the morning-after pill if they don't want to? Just checkin' to see if you have a double-standard....

I know you weren't asking me, but no, they shouldn't be forced to.
Ditto. Stores of any kind need to determine what they will or will not stock on their shelves.

Soon obama will own wal mart anyway, then everything will be juuuussst riiiight.

Some people really appreciate those greeters, they always find me a scooter so I can get back to the ammo dept.

First of all, who lets their 78 year old mother work? Your crack habit getting expensive?
Secondly, greeting people at the door has to be the most humiliating job possible, and is actually quite annoying, don't you think?

may you one day have a 78 yr old mother and good luck telling her what to do....

may you one day have a 78 yr old mother and good luck telling her what to do....
My mom and both of her sisters work outside in the winter in 30 degree weather. They done the same work for over fifteen years. I must be an abusive daughter and niece to someone like tofudunce for allowing such behavior from them as to let them make their own choices, strolling.

They won't sell CD's unless they can cut out the "bad" words from them.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Green Day lashes out at Wal-Mart policy - MSN Music News
It's not censorship at all.

Wally World is a private company and they can carry whatever merch they want to, for whatever reason they want to. Besides that, nobody is entitled to cheap Green Day CDs.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Wally World is a private company and they can carry whatever merch they want to, for whatever reason they want to.
Besides that, nobody is entitled to cheap Green Day CDs.

Yes, I have stated that. But they DO sell CD's that are censored, that is what Green Day is making a statement about. That is also Wal Mart's choice too, there is a market for it, or they wouldn't be doing it.

Yes, I have stated that. But they DO sell CD's that are censored, that is what Green Day is making a statement about. That is also Wal Mart's choice too, there is a market for it, or they wouldn't be doing it.
Then Green Day should be taking this up with the people who produce the edited CDs, rather than hassling Wally World.

My guess as to why they're taking the course that they are is because they're a bunch of leftist whackos -like about 99.9% of wandering minsrels- who can't pass up even the most strained opportunity to bash the far left's favorite booger man.

Prostitution is legal in Nevada, should Wal-Mart be forced to sell it?

is there a first amendment right to prostitution?

WalMart is not only an economic menace to any and every place it places its flag. It is also, when it decides to become the arbitor of what is socially acceptable in the arts, a menace to the free exchange of ideas that come of free speech in the arts.

Should WALMART be given that much power?

Of course not.

WALMART is a corporation...a creature whose existence depends on the laws of the land and the tolerance of the citizens of that land to exist at all.

It should not have rights, and it should certainly not be allowed to pretend that it has anything remotely approaching the RIGHT to censor the arts.

I realize that many of you believe that this sort of business is nothing more than a giagantic mom and pop store. You're completely wrong in assuming that.

I realize that many of you think it should have all the rights that the CITIZEN who owns a store might have, too.

WALMART is not a CITIZEN doing business.

It is a corporation, a legal fictional entity.

It is beholden to the people of the USA, and not the other way around.

WALMART is a symptom of the disease which is destroying our society, folks.

I don't entirely blame WALMART for becoming that because, after all, our laws have allowed it to thrive.

But I defintiely do think that we have allowed an economically predatory corporation to sytematically rape our nation.

The net effect of a WALMART coming into an economic community is an increase in poverty with all the adverse economic fallout which results from same.

And now we are going to allow this corporation to dictate artistic tastes, too?

Sad. Very sad.

Sadder still that many of you cannot understand what I am even talking about.

I understand that you can't fight fuckin' City Hall. Been tryin' for years, and every time you think you've won the war, another battle begins!

It is rather like pissing on an anthill, isn't it?

While your piss (and vinegar) is rather limited there seems to be an infinite supply of ants.

Then Green Day should be taking this up with the people who produce the edited CDs, rather than hassling Wally World.

My guess as to why they're taking the course that they are is because they're a bunch of leftist whackos -like about 99.9% of wandering minsrels- who can't pass up even the most strained opportunity to bash the far left's favorite booger man.

Yeah, ain't America great, I'm digging that free speech thing too! :cool:

Hmm, last time I checked, Wal-Mart was a privately owned. They can sell what they want, or don't want. Too bad for you huh?

If you don't like their policies, shop somewhere else. Green Days' CD's are only available at Wally World? Nope. All of the vendors who want to sell through Wally World have to conform to Wally Worlds' demands. Green Day is no different. AC/DC and Guns and Roses didn't seem to have any problems with Wally World.

Admit it. You just don't like Wal-Mart because they sell Religious books and are not Unionized. This Green Day bullshit is just an excuse to fling poo.

And no, I'm not a Green Day hater, I have a few of their CD's.

Hmm, last time I checked, Wal-Mart was a privately owned. They can sell what they want, or don't want. Too bad for you huh?

If you don't like their policies, shop somewhere else. Green Days' CD's are only available at Wally World? Nope. All of the vendors who want to sell through Wally World have to conform to Wally Worlds' demands. Green Day is no different. AC/DC and Guns and Roses didn't seem to have any problems with Wally World.

Admit it. You just don't like Wal-Mart because they sell Religious books and are not Unionized. This Green Day bullshit is just an excuse to fling poo.

And no, I'm not a Green Day hater, I have a few of their CD's.

Who are you talking to? :confused:

Wally World is a private company and they can carry whatever merch they want to, for whatever reason they want to.

until the "musicians" in green Day refuse to accept the profits from sales of edited CDs at Walmart, they can stfu

until the "musicians" in green Day refuse to accept the profits from sales of edited CDs at Walmart, they can stfu

Well, they don't have their new CD at Wal Mart, so I guess they don't have to stfu.

Considering Wal-Mart's corporate power, their refusal to stock the uncensored CD is probably as great an imposition as individual state censorship of it, if not greater. But capitalists are only capable of identifying authoritarianism when manifested through the state, so it's understandable that they're a bit confused here. ;)

Well, they don't have their new CD at Wal Mart, so I guess they don't have to stfu.

so what's all the hooplah?

green day doesn't like that walmart sells edited music and they don't sell their music at walmart. sounds perfectly ok to me.

they can sell their music where they want and walmart can sell what they want. ain't no one's rights being violated here.

Forum List

Back