Wal Mart and Censorship

If memory serves, they were also the first to voluntarily implement that program at the beginning of its establishment.

Good for Walmart. They have the right to decide what they sell. They aren't telling the artists they can't record whatever they want. They're just maintaining their family-friendly status.

I think it's hilarious.

Considering the adverse effect of the establishment of Wal-Marts on local wages, employment, and general economic affairs, "family-friendly" wouldn't be the first term to jump to mind. But then again, we all know how you feel about empirical evidence. ;)

Tell that to someone who hasn't watched Wal Mart employ people who couldn't get a job otherwise...and provide wonderful opportunities to them for advancement, as well as affordable health care and job stability.
No shit, my mother works at wal-mart at 78 years old. (Womans department) tell me what other company would hire a woman in her 70's?

They won't sell CD's unless they can cut out the "bad" words from them.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Green Day lashes out at Wal-Mart policy - MSN Music News

Is this news? Walmart has had policies like this since forever.

Good for Walmart. They have the right to decide what they sell. They aren't telling the artists they can't record whatever they want. They're just maintaining their family-friendly status.

I think it's hilarious.

"Family friendly"??? You're joking, right? You have any family that works for them?

should walmart be forced to sell something they don't want to?

Absolutely not, but I'm not forced, for lack of funds, to buy from them either. Now, if you want an analogy, should a pharmacy be forced to sell the morning-after pill if they don't want to? Just checkin' to see if you have a double-standard....

you just found this out? damn echo...the teenage years are gonna kick your ass...hell in alabama...the world cocaine was cut out of that crowe and kid rock duet...and guess what dildos are illegal in alabama....which is why crimson had to move (sorry cw...too easy, and way cheap...heehehee)

Absolutely not, but I'm not forced, for lack of funds, to buy from them either. Now, if you want an analogy, should a pharmacy be forced to sell the morning-after pill if they don't want to? Just checkin' to see if you have a double-standard....

I know you weren't asking me, but no, they shouldn't be forced to.

I know you weren't asking me, but no, they shouldn't be forced to.

On this one, personally, I have mixed feelings. As medical professionals, I see them as having a certain obligation to the public. On the other hand, I also see it as their private business, purchased with their personal funds, giving them a right to do what they want. Tough call for me.

WalMart is not only an economic menace to any and every place it places its flag. It is also, when it decides to become the arbitor of what is socially acceptable in the arts, a menace to the free exchange of ideas that come of free speech in the arts.

Should WALMART be given that much power?

Of course not.

WALMART is a corporation...a creature whose existence depends on the laws of the land and the tolerance of the citizens of that land to exist at all.

It should not have rights, and it should certainly not be allowed to pretend that it has anything remotely approaching the RIGHT to censor the arts.

I realize that many of you believe that this sort of business is nothing more than a giagantic mom and pop store. You're completely wrong in assuming that.

I realize that many of you think it should have all the rights that the CITIZEN who owns a store might have, too.

WALMART is not a CITIZEN doing business.

It is a corporation, a legal fictional entity.

It is beholden to the people of the USA, and not the other way around.

WALMART is a symptom of the disease which is destroying our society, folks.

I don't entirely blame WALMART for becoming that because, after all, our laws have allowed it to thrive.

But I defintiely do think that we have allowed an economically predatory corporation to sytematically rape our nation.

The net effect of a WALMART coming into an economic community is an increase in poverty with all the adverse economic fallout which results from same.

And now we are going to allow this corporation to dictate artistic tastes, too?

Sad. Very sad.

Sadder still that many of you cannot understand what I am even talking about.

Last edited:
WalMart is not only an economic menace to any and every place it places its flag. It is also, when it decides to become the arbitor of what is socially acceptable in the arts, a menace to the free exchange of ideas that come of free speech in the arts.

Should WALMART be given that much power?

Of course not.

WALMART is a corporation...a creature whose existence depends on the laws of the land and the tolerance of the citizens of that land to exist at all.

It should not have rights, and it should certainly not be allowed to pretend that it has anything remotely approaching the RIGHT to censor the arts.

I realize that many of you believe that this sort of business is nothing more than a giagantic mom and pop store. You're completely wrong in assuming that.

I realize that many of you think it should have all the rights that the CITIZEN who owns a store might have, too.

WALMART is not a CITIZEN doing business.

It is a corporation, a legal fictional entity.

It is beholden to the people of the USA, and not the other way around.

WALMART is a symptom of the disease which is destroying our society, folks.

I don't entirely blame WALMART for becoming that because, after all, our laws have allowed it to thrive.

But I defintiely do think that we have allowed an economically predatory corporation to sytematically rape our nation.

The net effect of a WALMART coming into an economic community is an increase in poverty with all the adverse economic fallout which results from same.

And now we are going to allow this corporation to dictate artistic tastes, too?

Sad. Very sad.

Sadder still that many of you cannot understand what I am even talking about.

I understand that you can't fight fuckin' City Hall. Been tryin' for years, and every time you think you've won the war, another battle begins!

Walmart is for doofusses who love crap chinese made crap, and food made in india and china. Good luck with that.

you just found this out? damn echo...the teenage years are gonna kick your ass...hell in alabama...the world cocaine was cut out of that crowe and kid rock duet...and guess what dildos are illegal in alabama....which is why crimson had to move (sorry cw...too easy, and way cheap...heehehee)

:lol:

No, I knew about their policy. I just thought it was interesting Green Day brought it up again. Like I said, I don't shop there. I choose to give my hard earned money to the local record stores myself.

They are just saying they don't think music should be censored, and refuse to have any words cut out of their music, thus Wally World choosing not to sell their CD.

Kind of like Pearl Jam fighting Ticket Master and their over priced "fees" when you buy a concert ticket. Sometime people do stand up to "The Man."

They won't sell CD's unless they can cut out the "bad" words from them.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Green Day lashes out at Wal-Mart policy - MSN Music News

I wouldn't set foot in a Walmart because of their exploitive employment practices. We already know their pharmacy refuses to sell the morning after pill. Is it really such a surprise they censor what they sell?

If you want a giant six foot tall cross with bulbs that make it look like a burning cross, Walmart is your place to get one.

Forum List

Back