WA bans text-driving. Also eat-driving and smoke-driving and read-driving

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The bad news is the penalties are not that great - just a fine of around $200. These crimes should be treated like DUI.

What’s more dangerous than a drunk driver? You, on your phone, says governor

From the steps of the Capitol Monday, Gov. Jay Inslee had a warning for all the drivers trying to sneak in one last text.

“When you are driving while you are on a cellphone, you are more dangerous to yourself and everyone else on the road than a drunk driver with a .08 blood alcohol (level),” Inslee told the crowd.

State officials are working to get the word out about Washington’s Driving Under the Influence of Electronics Act, which goes into effect Sunday and bans the use of handheld devices while driving, even when stopped in traffic.

Fines start at $136 and can go up to $234; violations will be reported to insurance companies, meaning violators could see their rates increase.

Other distractions, such as grooming, smoking, eating or reading, could result in a $99 ticket if you are pulled over for another offense.

• Banned
Drivers who do these things are psychopaths with no sense of right and wrong.

Nothing more aggravating than a ditz with a cellphone sitting at a green light.

The Texas law takes effect September 1.

Then they better ban the 17 inch screens cars come with today.
It is illegal for them to be on while the vehicle is moving unless they are in the back seat. Most in dash tvs and such wont come on if the key is past the accessory.

It is illegal for them to be on while the vehicle is moving unless they are in the back seat. Most in dash tvs and such wont come on if the key is past the accessory.
Except everything is on them including vehicle controls......they have to be on to go anywhere and if you think a phone is a temptation wait until these are ubiquitous

Except everything is on them including vehicle controls......they have to be on to go anywhere and if you think a phone is a temptation wait until these are ubiquitous
ahhh you meant the factory in dashs. My apologies.

• Banned
Even radios should be banned in cars. You're driving a 3000 pound vehicle at 60 mph and playing with an electronic toy should be out of the question.

Even radios should be banned in cars. You're driving a 3000 pound vehicle at 60 mph and playing with an electronic toy should be out of the question.

This never became much of an issue until cellphones came along. So I think we should keep our radios and heaters and A/C, if you don't mind.

What they need to ban are underage drivers.

Sorry kids, but sixteen years old is way too young to drive a car in traffic.

This never became much of an issue until cellphones came along. So I think we should keep our radios and heaters and A/C, if you don't mind.

Heaters and ACs are not toys - radios are!!! THINK, you degenerate psychopath.

Heaters and ACs are not toys - radios are!!! THINK, you degenerate psychopath.

I can control all my radios functions without taking my hands off the steering wheel.

It will be interesting how it plays out. I don't agree it's worse that driving drunk or stoned but people are out of control. Most new cars have display controls so I'm not sure how that will be enforced.

Good grief! Do you drive an ox drawn covered wagon? Smoking, eating and drinking isn't a driving hazard, especially smoking.

Forum List

Back