W.H. to House GOP: We're not moving

And here everbody was thinking it was government spending that was the reckless part........

Oh, spending is certainly reckless. But we see big-time hypocrisy here, too. The GOP harps and harps about cutting spending...until you say the magic words "defense cuts". Then, oh no! Not defense cuts!

The wars are over. There is absolutely no justification for continuing war level spending when there are no wars!

Despite what Obama says, Al-Queda is still alive and out there. Then we have North Korea and Iran continuing to get bitchy. And then there's China rising. All that is why we need a big Defense budget.

Forget all the ideological soap box speeches, Marc...if you look at this whole thing logically? President Obama's tax increase pulls in enough revenue (using the most optimistic estimates) to run the government for about 8 days. At the same time his refusal to address spending with any meaningful cuts dooms us to more trillion dollar deficits.

The fact is, Barack Obama is putting a win in the polls ahead of what's best for the country. He's once again ignoring the millions of Americans who are currently out of work for a political win. That's not fighting for the American people...that's turning your back on them.
Forget all the ideological rhetoric OldStyle...if you believe that Obama ISN'T willing and ready to cut spending then you've been inhaling Dick Morris' toe fungus for too long.

He's willing to cut Defense spending. What else is he willing to cut? What HAS he cut in the four years he's been in office? Remember that this was a man who promised to cut the deficit in half before the end of his first term. You say he's willing and ready to cut spending? Show me where he's done so.

What part of "going back to what they were PREVIOUSLY" do you NOT understand?

It's not raising taxes, it's RETURNING to the rates they were.

We've spent enough with those reckless tax cuts already.

Enough.
How will raising taxes make your life better
See this is what he far right doesn't get. It's not the selfish "what does it do for me," but the altruistic, "what does it do for my country."

For me it assures me that the debt is on a path to being resolved.

How is anything that Barack Obama is proposing going to "resolve" the debt? You're absolutely delusional when it comes to fiscal policy. If he get's the tax increase he's looking for it's going to bring in an estimated 870 billion over ten years (and that's being optimistic and assuming that raising taxes won't slow an already moribund economy thus reducing revenue!) which works out to 87 billion in revenue per year, enough to run the country for about a week. At the same time he's asking for additional spending that's going to keep us up above that trillion dollar a year deficit level and just to make sure we attain that astronomical level Obama wants Congress to give HIM the power to raise the debt ceiling.

The isn't someone trying to resolve the debt...that's someone who is bound and determined to add to the debt in a huge way.

Last edited:
Despite what Obama says, Al-Queda is still alive and out there. Then we have North Korea and Iran continuing to get bitchy. And then there's China rising. All that is why we need a big Defense budget.

The US is currently spending more in Defense than any other country in the world. The US outspends China, the number 2 country on the list, by nearly 5 to 1. In fact the US spends more on defense than the next top 10 countries defense spending combined.

So tell me again how the US cannot possibly afford to cut defense spending, even a little bit.

Good. Bring on the fiscal cliff. Raise taxes on EVERYONE.

I think he should do it too. Yes, I do, stop talking and dew it.

Lets do this...!

Ya ready Marc? Ready for the higher taxes?
Ya figured out how much less you will bringing home?

My wife and I will be forking out about 7 GRAND more a year.

Buckle up erbody!

I agree...
The Libs are crying about fair share...
Let everyone kick in a little extra...
Let the rest kick in some for a change.
I think EVERY person who works should pay at least a 5% tax to the government.
It is the poor who get the most from government. Let them have a stake in the game.

The US is currently spending more in Defense than any other country in the world. The US outspends China, the number 2 country on the list, by nearly 5 to 1. In fact the US spends more on defense than the next top 10 countries defense spending combined.

So tell me again how the US cannot possibly afford to cut defense spending, even a little bit.

The very reason wjy you have the freedom to sit at your computer and participate in things like USMB is BECAUSE we have a strong military.
Obama has you people believing the US is THE problem. That it is UNFAIR for one nation to be so powerful while others are not.
Well here's the rub sister...But for those with vision on the creation of this Great Nation, you'd be speaking German or Japanese and living in a oppressive State with no freedom and while answering to an all encompassing intrusive central government where DEATH for committing the slightest of infractions is a reality.
Obama has weakened our country. We are now a paper tiger.
Just this week, Obama issued a statement to the Syrian government regarding the use of chemical weapons. The Syrian government has not blinked. They have not missed a beat.
Why? Because they know Obama is going to do SHIT.

Silly rw's. just like always, they live in a fantasy where actions have no consequences. Fact is, the pubs want nothing quite as much as they want to cause the US even more fiscal chaos. As before, they try hold the country hostage to their ransom demands to pay off their owners andvget taxes raised on the working class. If they can get us another credit own grade, alls the better. Frosting on the GObP cake.

Obama puts country before party, the opposite of the R. Because of that, he could still give in to some of their plutocratic demands.

I hope not.

Please tell us you are joking.
I am amused at the fantasy land in which you Obama sycophants appear to exist

Well no.

But thanks for playing..there are door prizes.

I hope there's an Obama phone as one of the prizes...
Maybe some food stamps...Most Americans are on them
thanks to this fucked up Obama economy...

Hope you are enjoying them.

You can also thank Bush Jr. for fucking up the economy and being asleep at the wheel when 3 thousand Americans were incinerated during 9/11. And as an extra added bonus, allowed them to drown in Katrina waters. Over 1400 there.

Good stuff.

You people are remarkably brainwashed by Obama's messianic effect you believe him to possess.

Hardly, but being over the age of 60, I remember what it was like BEFORE Reagonmics started demonizing the poor and transferring all the wealth of the county to the rich.

Even Alan Greenspan says the Republican economic policies are responsible for the explosive growth in the cost of social programs in the US which have spike during the administration of every Republican President since Reagan.

He doesn't say the Democrats haven't done the same thing, but that the bulk of the increases are directly attributable to to Republican economic policies.

Hardly, but being over the age of 60, I remember what it was like BEFORE Reagonmics started demonizing the poor and transferring all the wealth of the county to the rich.

Even Alan Greenspan says the Republican economic policies are responsible for the explosive growth in the cost of social programs in the US which have spike during the administration of every Republican President since Reagan.

He doesn't say the Democrats haven't done the same thing, but that the bulk of the increases are directly attributable to to Republican economic policies.

You must live in Washington State, Dragonlady...and take full advantage of the decriminalization of pot.

The explosive growth of social programs is due to Republican economic policies? That's one of the most far fetched statements I've heard on here in quite some time. Food stamp usage has increased at the fastest rate ever, since Barack Obama took office. Disability claims have also increased at the fastest rate ever since Barry got the Oval Office. Unemployment has been extended for the longest time in the history of our nation while Barack Obama runs things.

That's all the fault of Republicans? Really? So what exactly is Barry, Harry and Nancy responsible for?

Silly rw's. just like always, they live in a fantasy where actions have no consequences. Fact is, the pubs want nothing quite as much as they want to cause the US even more fiscal chaos. As before, they try hold the country hostage to their ransom demands to pay off their owners andvget taxes raised on the working class. If they can get us another credit own grade, alls the better. Frosting on the GObP cake.

Obama puts country before party, the opposite of the R. Because of that, he could still give in to some of their plutocratic demands.

I hope not.

We got our credit downgrade because the credit agency wanted to see us reduce our deficit and we failed to do so. Republicans were the ones who were trying to get spending cuts to make that happen. They are STILL trying to get spending cuts to make that happen and Obama and the Democrats are still refusing to cut spending while pushing a tax increase that although it is just a drop in the bucket as far as cutting the deficit goes it may be enough to stop the weak economic growth we DO have and put us back into a recession.

If Obama REALLY put country before ideology then he wouldn't be pursuing a fiscal policy that doesn't make any sense economically at all...

You must live in Washington State, Dragonlady...and take full advantage of the decriminalization of pot.

The explosive growth of social programs is due to Republican economic policies? That's one of the most far fetched statements I've heard on here in quite some time. Food stamp usage has increased at the fastest rate ever, since Barack Obama took office. Disability claims have also increased at the fastest rate ever since Barry got the Oval Office. Unemployment has been extended for the longest time in the history of our nation while Barack Obama runs things.

That's all the fault of Republicans? Really? So what exactly is Barry, Harry and Nancy responsible for?

Republicans have effectively been out of power since 2006 when the Dems took Congress. Democrats never take responsibility for their actions.

You truly are a numb nut, 60+ years of democratic control of the government in part or whole and you want to blame the Republicans for the crashed economy.

You truly are a numb nut, 60+ years of democratic control of the government in part or whole and you want to blame the Republicans for the crashed economy.

Democrats never take responsibility for their own actions. It's always some one else's fault.

I am in favor of Defense spending cuts, but not the deep deep cuts proposed under sequestration. Maybe cut Defense by $300 Billion would be plenty.

Democrats never take responsibility for their own actions. It's always some one else's fault.

That's why I will always bash the democrats and anyone that defends democrats.
They cannot hide from the facts that the government has been controlled for 60+ years in part or whole by the democrats.

I am in favor of Defense spending cuts, but not the deep deep cuts proposed under sequestration. Maybe cut Defense by $300 Billion would be plenty.

That would be nearly 1/2 the annual defense budget which is $711 billion per year. To cut defense spending in half would mean that manufacturers of military equipment would be forced to lay off workers, bases closed and the size of the army reduced, all of which will throw thousands of Americans out of work, increasing unemployment and throwing the country back into recession.

Any major cut in government expenditures, such as are proposed by the sequestration, will force the country back into recession which is why the spending cuts must be handled with a scappel, not a chainsaw.

W.H. to House GOP: We're not moving

This is truly laudable. When one side develops a reputation for pushover capitulation, the other side will exploit it.

If only jellyfish like Bill Clinton had had the stones to take this attitude...

That would be nearly 1/2 the annual defense budget which is $711 billion per year. To cut defense spending in half would mean that manufacturers of military equipment would be forced to lay off workers, bases closed and the size of the army reduced, all of which will throw thousands of Americans out of work, increasing unemployment and throwing the country back into recession.

Any major cut in government expenditures, such as are proposed by the sequestration, will force the country back into recession which is why the spending cuts must be handled with a scappel, not a chainsaw.

Except it isn't half the defense budget because Washington doesnt count like everyone else. If today's appropriation is $300B and next year's is $400B and they make next year's $350B instead, that's a cut of $50B according to Washington rules.

Since the Democrats stimulus has brought on miniscule growth, high unemployment, and record poverty one would think trying the opposite might be a good idea.

Forum List

Back