Voting Rights Uprising: Activists in Three States Help GOP's Targets Get Voter ID

Getting ID is not fighting back, it's something people should have anyway. Unless the Dems are still handing IDs to illegal aliens that allow them to pass as citizens, then they should encourage people to have a valid ID. How the hell do these people get through life without one? You can't open a bank account, write a check, get into a bar, get a loan, get a credit card, drive or get a job. My 16 year old daughter had to have a valid ID to get a summer job working at a camp.

It just amazes me that people who are able to show up at the polls to vote claim they need help getting an ID.

Are Democrat voters really that ignorant? Even the elderly have managed to obtain IDs. I honestly don't get it.

This voter ID idea is not to disenfranchise citizens, rather to protect our voting rights by ensuring that the millions of illegals here don't vote. I do realize that there is a class of people who can't function without a government bureaucrat telling them what to do. I have no doubt the nannies will be working overtime.

The electoral process should be made as sterile as possible. Just like most republicans (just kidding). Seriously, there is no reason to accept voter fraud.

And yet we do all the time. There's no money for enforcement. Every election I turn over voters who may have committed fraud by voting twice...I bust my butt pouring over reports and precinct rosters for days, eliminating obvious mistakes and narrowing the list down to those who very likely voted twice...voted their vote by mail ballot and then voted at the polls (which voter ID will not stop from happening I might add). I turn the list over to my supervisors who may or may not turn the list over to the SOS...and that's where my hard work goes to die.

Getting ID is not fighting back, it's something people should have anyway. Unless the Dems are still handing IDs to illegal aliens that allow them to pass as citizens, then they should encourage people to have a valid ID. How the hell do these people get through life without one? You can't open a bank account, write a check, get into a bar, get a loan, get a credit card, drive or get a job. My 16 year old daughter had to have a valid ID to get a summer job working at a camp.

It just amazes me that people who are able to show up at the polls to vote claim they need help getting an ID.

Are Democrat voters really that ignorant? Even the elderly have managed to obtain IDs. I honestly don't get it.

This voter ID idea is not to disenfranchise citizens, rather to protect our voting rights by ensuring that the millions of illegals here don't vote. I do realize that there is a class of people who can't function without a government bureaucrat telling them what to do. I have no doubt the nannies will be working overtime.

The electoral process should be made as sterile as possible. Just like most republicans (just kidding). Seriously, there is no reason to accept voter fraud.

And yet we do all the time. There's no money for enforcement. Every election I turn over voters who may have committed fraud by voting twice...I bust my butt pouring over reports and precinct rosters for days, eliminating obvious mistakes and narrowing the list down to those who very likely voted twice...voted their vote by mail ballot and then voted at the polls (which voter ID will not stop from happening I might add). I turn the list over to my supervisors who may or may not turn the list over to the SOS...and that's where my hard work goes to die.

That's bullshit! if voter ID will not stop people from voting twice, then HOW WILL IT STOP PEOPLE FROM VOTING ONCE?????????

You just defeated your own BS argument! YOU FAIL!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By George Bauer

Grassroots groups in Wisconsin, Tennessee and Colorado help GOP targets obtain credentials to vote in 2012.

The GOP-led effort to disenfranchise likely Democratic voting blocks by enacting tougher state voter ID laws has run into a new obstacle: targeted populations are fighting back as voting rights advocates are helping people obtain the necessary ID.

Grassroots efforts in Tennessee, Wisconsin and Colorado are profiled in a new report, "Got ID? Helping Americans Get Voter Identification," from Common Cause, Demos, Fair Elections Legal Network, and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The report is an important counterpoint to persistent progressive messaging about the GOP’s attack on voting rights that typically has not informed people how to overcome the barriers.

“This report gives Americans the tools they need to fight back and make their voices heard,” said Jenny Rose Flanagan, director of voting and elections at Common Cause.

The battle over tougher ballot access is a years-long fight where proponent’s arguments are not supported by facts on the ground and mask their partisan goals—shaping the electorate to achieve or maintain political power. There is nothing new about enacting laws (or running campaign ads) to discourage voting.

More: Voting Rights Uprising: Activists in Three States Help GOP's Targets Get Voter ID | | AlterNet

You are confused Lakhota. We oppose Fraud, by any means, not legitimate Voter Registration and Legitimate Ballots. I know it's a hard concept for you to Master, but you need to try harder.

By George Bauer

Grassroots groups in Wisconsin, Tennessee and Colorado help GOP targets obtain credentials to vote in 2012.

The GOP-led effort to disenfranchise likely Democratic voting blocks by enacting tougher state voter ID laws has run into a new obstacle: targeted populations are fighting back as voting rights advocates are helping people obtain the necessary ID.

Grassroots efforts in Tennessee, Wisconsin and Colorado are profiled in a new report, "Got ID? Helping Americans Get Voter Identification," from Common Cause, Demos, Fair Elections Legal Network, and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The report is an important counterpoint to persistent progressive messaging about the GOP’s attack on voting rights that typically has not informed people how to overcome the barriers.

“This report gives Americans the tools they need to fight back and make their voices heard,” said Jenny Rose Flanagan, director of voting and elections at Common Cause.

The battle over tougher ballot access is a years-long fight where proponent’s arguments are not supported by facts on the ground and mask their partisan goals—shaping the electorate to achieve or maintain political power. There is nothing new about enacting laws (or running campaign ads) to discourage voting.

More: Voting Rights Uprising: Activists in Three States Help GOP's Targets Get Voter ID | | AlterNet

You are confused Lakhota. We oppose Fraud, by any means, not legitimate Voter Registration and Legitimate Ballots. I know it's a hard concept for you to Master, but you need to try harder.

But that's just it. Liberals are FOR fraud, because it's the only way they can win in red states and they know it.

It's so predictable, that when somebody wants to prevent voting fraud, lefties call it "disenfranchising". :lol: Lefties need new words to lie with.

Can you list any cases of recent voter fraud that would be deterred by these restrictive ID laws?

The fact is that these laws WILL disenfranchise voters. They already have. What is the acceptable ratio of disenfranchisement to fraud? If you disenfranchise 10 voters for every one incident of fraud, is that worth it?

OH BULL!

Show me all these "disenfranchised" voters?

Every one of them will be an activist just trying to give the Democrat party cover so they can continue non-stop voter fraud as they did with ACORN in my state until they were finally shut down and told to get the hell out of Ohio!

You libs are so full of it on this and it's SO OBVIOUS!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How about this guy...

Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls

Or this woman?

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting I

They were both disenfranchised because the voter ID laws in their state were too restrictive. You can still have "Voter ID" laws without making them so restrictive that they actually disenfranchise voters.

That's bullshit! if voter ID will not stop people from voting twice, then HOW WILL IT STOP PEOPLE FROM VOTING ONCE?????????

No, actually I didn't. I'm talking about where the fraud is ACTUALLY happening and voter ID laws do nothing to stop it.

Can you list any cases of recent voter fraud that would be deterred by these restrictive ID laws?

The fact is that these laws WILL disenfranchise voters. They already have. What is the acceptable ratio of disenfranchisement to fraud? If you disenfranchise 10 voters for every one incident of fraud, is that worth it?

OH BULL!

Every one of them will be an activist just trying to give the Democrat party cover so they can continue non-stop voter fraud as they did with ACORN in my state until they were finally shut down and told to get the hell out of Ohio!

How about this guy...

Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls

Or this woman?

They were both disenfranchised because the voter ID laws in their state were too restrictive. You can still have "Voter ID" laws without making them so restrictive that they actually disenfranchise voters.

No, they were dug up to be the big sympathy cover for Democrat voter fraud.

Number one, I'VE BEEN TURNED AWAY FOR HAVING AN EXPIRED LICENSE!

I thanked the lady because I wasn't aware my license had expired, went right out and got the thing re-upped and came back to vote! What's the problem?

You telling me that guy couldn't have done that? THAT'S BULL!

The second one, she waits until the day of voting and doesn't find out ahead of time what she needs to get her ID before voting?

That's smells to high heaven! That's a set up!

AND I BET THEY WERE BOTH DEMOCRAT VOTERS!

Political stunt. Nothing more.

No, actually I didn't. I'm talking about where the fraud is ACTUALLY happening and voter ID laws do nothing to stop it.

No, you are talking about voting TWICE with Voter ID and YET you want to tell us it stops people from voting once.

Double talk and you got caught in it.

No, you are talking about voting TWICE with Voter ID and YET you want to tell us it stops people from voting once.

You seem to be confused and I'm not sure I can help you. What I've stated:

• Voter ID laws in many states are too restrictive. This was proven to you with actual people denied the right to vote in their states.
  • There is no money for enforcement of voter fraud.
  • Restrictive Voter ID laws do not stop people from committing fraud...as I detailed. Voter IDs would not stop the fraud that I encounter every election.

Obviously you aren't willing to have an actual discussion on this issue.

Everyone should have voter ID.

All this bullshit about keeping folks from voting is just that, bullshit.

You have to have ID to do anything in this counry. Should have ID to prove you are who you say you are when your exercising the most important right you have.

Its Just common sense.

OH BULL!

How about this guy...

Or this woman?

Where there are problems, there is remedy, if not, seek it out. Maybe, provisional ballots were in order here. Still, your first example was Someone trying to use an ID not accepted, easily fixed by a State ID from DMV. The problem is repairable. Your second example, again, is missing documents. Maybe, it's a good argument for not waiting for the last minute to get your shit in order.
It happened to me, when I went to renew my Drivers License. I wanted an Enhanced License, and could not find my Social Security Card. No matter what else I showed the Agent, did not matter. I was denied. Such is life. Get over it. You want to do something positive, work with people in need of assistance in getting their ID's in order.

You seem to be confused and I'm not sure I can help you. What I've stated:

• Voter ID laws in many states are too restrictive. This was proven to you with actual people denied the right to vote in their states.
  • There is no money for enforcement of voter fraud.
  • Restrictive Voter ID laws do not stop people from committing fraud...as I detailed. Voter IDs would not stop the fraud that I encounter every election.
Obviously you aren't willing to have an actual discussion on this issue.

You can keep repeating it, but it won't get beyond how I already debunked it!

You gave me two people who had feeble excuses for not voting, ONE OF WHICH I'VE ALREADY GONE THROUGH AND WAS EASILY RECTIFIED.

NO, come to think of it, BOTH I'VE GONE THROUGH.

Because one time I got my purse stolen and had to get new ID.

NO PROBLEM. I called AHEAD for what I would need to aquire that ID and brought it in.

When I couldn't find my birth certificate I SENT TO GET A COPY!

Neither of these people have a good excuse, it's just a feeble play for sympathy.

Last edited:
OH BULL!

How about this guy...

Or this woman?

Where there are problems, there is remedy, if not, seek it out. Maybe, provisional ballots were in order here. Still, your first example was Someone trying to use an ID not accepted, easily fixed by a State ID from DMV. The problem is repairable. Your second example, again, is missing documents. Maybe, it's a good argument for not waiting for the last minute to get your shit in order.
It happened to me, when I went to renew my Drivers License. I wanted an Enhanced License, and could not find my Social Security Card. No matter what else I showed the Agent, did not matter. I was denied. Such is life. Get over it. You want to do something positive, work with people in need of assistance in getting their ID's in order.

Plus I've been through both situations, and both were easily rectified. It's a good thing, they won't let the woman get an ID without the proper papers. Means less ID fraud.

You have to have ID to do anything in this counry. Should have ID to prove you are who you say you are when your exercising the most important right you have.

Its Just common sense.

And yet thousand and thousand of people don't have the ID required because the laws in their state is too restrictive. The veteran being just one example. The state wouldn't take his ID because it didn't have his address on it. My military ID doesn't have an address on it either. What if that were my only ID? The woman was denied the right to vote because she couldn't produce her marriage license.

Even if they make these photo IDs with addresses on them free to people unable or unwilling to pay for them, the paperwork required to get the ID isn't free. Birth certificates and marriage licenses aren't free. How much should someone have to PAY for the right to vote?

It is a GOP talking point that creating an atmosphere making it hard for citizens to vote is in their favor. They do not want a high voter turnout.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw]Paul Weyrich - "I don't want everybody to vote" (Goo Goo) - YouTube[/ame]

Its Just common sense.

And yet thousand and thousand of people don't have the ID required because the laws in their state is too restrictive. The veteran being just one example. The state wouldn't take his ID because it didn't have his address on it. My military ID doesn't have an address on it either. What if that were my only ID? The woman was denied the right to vote because she couldn't produce her marriage license.

Even if they make these photo IDs with addresses on them free to people unable or unwilling to pay for them, the paperwork required to get the ID isn't free. Birth certificates and marriage licenses aren't free. How much should someone have to PAY for the right to vote?

:rolleyes:

please

:rofl:

oh, the humanity!

And those are the questions nobody can answer. How much should someone have to PAY for their right to vote and what is the acceptable ratio of disenfranchisement to fraud...

For the last thirty years, the GOP has been about more freedom for the very wealthy. Freedom to impose a feudal society on our nation, an aristocracy of wealth. And far less freedom for the rest of us. They attack unions, the only protection that workers have, they attack workplace regulations that promote safety and health in the workplace, they attack science when it shows that certain profitable actions are having a very serious long term affects on the nation and world.

By their own actions, the GOP has demonstrated that the only thing they admire is wealth, and their god is Mammon. The philosopher Ryan and Paul quote stated that her ideal man was William Edward Hickman.

Romancing the Stone-Cold Killer

In December of 1927, Hickman, nineteen years old, showed up at a Los Angeles public school and managed to get custody of a twelve-year-old girl, Marian (sometimes Marion) Parker. He was able to convince Marian's teacher that the girl's father, a well-known banker, had been seriously injured in a car accident and that the girl had to go to the hospital immediately. The story was a lie. Hickman disappeared with Marian, and over the next few days Mr. and Mrs. Parker received a series of ransom notes. The notes were cruel and taunting and were sometimes signed "Death" or "Fate." The sum of $1,500 was demanded for the child's safe release. (Hickman needed this sum, he later claimed, because he wanted to go to Bible college!) The father raised the payment in gold certificates and delivered it to Hickman. As told by the article "Fate, Death and the Fox" in crimelibrary.com,

"At the rendezvous, Mr. Parker handed over the money to a young man who was waiting for him in a parked car. When Mr. Parker paid the ransom, he could see his daughter, Marion, sitting in the passenger seat next to the suspect. As soon as the money was exchanged, the suspect drove off with the victim still in the car. At the end of the street, Marion's corpse was dumped onto the pavement. She was dead. Her legs had been chopped off and her eyes had been wired open to appear as if she was still alive. Her internal organs had been cut out and pieces of her body were later found strewn all over the Los Angeles area."

Do we desire adherants of this kind of philosphy in power in this nation?

My favorite thing about this article is that it portrays that legal American citizens actually going through the process of getting their IDs to vote legally is somehow throwing something in the face of people who support voter ID laws.

As a supporter of said laws, allow me to correct you. . . I have -no- desire to see a single American disenfranchised, if it can be helped. None whatsoever. Someone who honestly supports the actual, logical reasons for the implementation of such laws has no desire to see citizens prevented from voting (once per election of course. I would also like to see those ink finger dips they did for the Iraqi election put to use here to prevent people from going precinct to precinct, but I'm a dreamer).

What I'm getting at is that getting your ID to vote is only "fighting back" against the racists who support this law for their own twisted reasons, and calling it "fighting back" against all proponents of the bill implies that we're all racist. Sorry, but this is simply not the case. I'd go so far as to say that anyone who says it's pure racism is simply dismissing the argument to avoid having to fight it on its own merit.

Studies show that as many as 11 percent of eligible voters do not have government-issued photo ID. That percentage is even higher for seniors, people of color, people with disabilities, low-income voters, and students. Many citizens find it hard to get government photo IDs ..... We reported that 11 percent of voting-age American citizens—and an even greater percentage of African American, low-income, and older citizens—do not have current and valid government-issued photo IDs. These findings have been confirmed by multiple independent studies.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/section/category/voter_id
"That percentage is even higher for
seniors,
people of color,
people with disabilities,
low-income voters,
and students."

Many of these groups just happen to coincide with those who were strong Obama supporters in 2008!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back