Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

We'll see how the left handles it when a pro-Liberal is refused the right to cast a ballot because of a hat or t-shirt.

It's Texas law, you fool.

As I said.. We'll see how the left handles it when one of their people gets refused to vote because of what they are wearing...

I'll have plenty of duct tape on hand for you hypocrites when your heads start exploding.

We'll see how the left handles it when a pro-Liberal is refused the right to cast a ballot because of a hat or t-shirt.

As I said.. We'll see how the left handles it when one of their people gets refused to vote because of what they are wearing...

I'll have plenty of duct tape on hand for you hypocrites when your heads start exploding.

This happens constantly, to both "liberals" and "conservatives".

It's even happened to me.

Your need to be persecuted isn't shared by everyone. No one was "prevented" from voting, all he had to do was turn his shirt inside out.

The article in the OP mentions an identical incident involving an Obama voter at the place 2 years ago - where's the liberal outrage you're looking so hard for?

[MENTION=3254]Little-Acorn[/MENTION]
Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

Most informed citizen voters (unlike you and some dopes) know you cannot politic at a polling place. It is why there are also rules against holding signs or passing out literature within a certain distance of a polling place,

Americans have the right to vote without asshole politiking in their face at a polling site

Jesus, take a basic civics class willya wilma?:cuckoo:

Tons of candidate bumper stickers within 100 ft of every polling place ive ever been to and it has never been considered electioneering. Wonder if they should start parking somewhere else, be forced to remove them, or be denied their vote. Why is the shirt different?

His mistake was having an ID with him. If he had no ID they would have likely begged for him to vote.
If he had had no ID, and had spoken nothing but Spanish, they would have begged him to vote TWICE.

Actually, it may have been deemed as campaigning...
No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

What's next?

Will they throw a woman out of the polls, because her act of voting is a visible demonstration of support for the 19th amendment?

Can these people get any crazier?

there may have not been a 2nd amendment initiative...but I am sure the 2nd amendment is a topic between the candidates.

Personally, I don't agree with the action....but I understand it....it is likely not as outrageous as it sounds.
Jarhead, in looking at the position that was taken in the OP perhaps you should re-write your signature. Your current signature reads:

Definition of a left wing partisan hack:

A selfish individual who isn't paying attention

Seems to me a better signature would be:

Definition of a left/right wing partisan hack:

A selfish individual who isn't paying attention.

@Little-Acorn

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

Most informed citizen voters (unlike you and some dopes) know you cannot politic at a polling place. It is why there are also rules against holding signs or passing out literature within a certain distance of a polling place,

Americans have the right to vote without asshole politiking in their face at a polling site

Jesus, take a basic civics class willya wilma?:cuckoo:

Tons of candidate bumper stickers within 100 ft of every polling place ive ever been to and it has never been considered electioneering. Wonder if they should start parking somewhere else, be forced to remove them, or be denied their vote. Why is the shirt different?
Hummmmm ...... Did anyone drive their vehicle INTO the polling place? That might be the difference. Wadda ya think???
Hey, look, there are no such thing as professional polling personal. The people you see manning the polls get three or four hours of instruction every two years and then they are turned loose. It is not a regular job and it is damn sure not a very good part time job if you only spend a few hours on the job every year or two. They are doing the best they can. The important thing to ask here is this, DID THE PERSON WEARING THE TEE SHIRT GET TO VOTE?
Bottom line here is that the polling official was damn lucky the guy in the tee shirt didn't scream that his life had been put in danger and then spending a clip into the poll official. After all, we are speaking of Texas here.

World War II Vet In Obama Shirt Arrested At Polling Place

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – A World War II veteran wearing a T-shirt supporting President Barack Obama at a polling station in Houston couldn’t avoid the law.
Emmitt Lewis, 86, and his son were arrested earlier this month at Lone Star Community Center after Lewis shook someone’s hand while wearing an Obama shirt – unaware that early voting was taking place inside another room inside the center....

World War II Vet In Obama Shirt Arrested At Polling Place « CBS Houston

Oh look, my head didn't explode.

I tell you, those New York liberals...Wait what? TEXAS? Are you freaking kidding me?

World War II Vet In Obama Shirt Arrested At Polling Place

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – A World War II veteran wearing a T-shirt supporting President Barack Obama at a polling station in Houston couldn’t avoid the law.
Emmitt Lewis, 86, and his son were arrested earlier this month at Lone Star Community Center after Lewis shook someone’s hand while wearing an Obama shirt – unaware that early voting was taking place inside another room inside the center....

World War II Vet In Obama Shirt Arrested At Polling Place « CBS Houston

Oh look, my head didn't explode.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that's because you had enough sense to wrap your head in duct tape BEFORE you read about that arrest. You a smart man.

Right wingers would let their heads explode then try to put them back together with duck dynasty tape. Not so smart. Hair brained you might say.

I worked in Austin for about a year. Was always surprised no gun racks in stores to set your rifle down upon like those horse tie-up bars in old west movies. :) I expect anti-gun stuff is some states, but not in Texas.

Guy should seriously consider a lawsuit for violating his civil rights. Federal crime prventing someone form voting. To say nothing of the 1st Amendment violation.

From the link in the OP:

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

"...a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Imbecile alert!

We did not mean to be alerted to your presence.

He was not electioneering about any 'measure.' The shirt merely stated a historical fact, which you are unable to grasp. I hope he sues the election commission.

Yes he was. Amendments have been debated since day one. Stop being ignorant or disingenuous as either reflects poorly on your supposed intelligence

Take a basic US History class

That from someone telling people to take a History class. He doesn't even know how the Constitution is amended.

The Second Amendment was not on the ballot. If it was it would have been for us all. His shirt was about the Second Amendment.

At every place I've ever voted, even the appearance of violating the laws is discouraged. Only a misanthrope would support going down this road

There is nothing illegal about the Second Amendment. Duh!

He has no grounds to sue, the law is pretty clear cut and the case is open and shut.

Like the measure or not, there was a measure involving gun rights on the ballot.

Like his shirt or not, there was a pro gun rights message on his shirt.

He broke the law.

If one really believes his shirt wasnt intended as a message in regard to the ballot measure, one is either naive or dishonest/disengenuous.

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

"...a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Imbecile alert!

He was not electioneering about any 'measure.' The shirt merely stated a historical fact, which you are unable to grasp. I hope he sues the election commission.

I have to ask, how do you know what he intended to do? How do you know he was not electioneering? He said so?

If he wasn't arrested and charged for the misdeamenor, he wasn't doing it and thus can't be prevented from voting with shirt uncovered. This is the Election Law in question:

(a) During the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.

(b) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 639, Sec. 2

(c) During the early voting period, the early voting clerk shall keep continuously posted:

(1) at the entrance to the room or area, as applicable, in which the early voting polling place is located, a sign on which is printed in large letters "Early Voting Polling Place"; and

(2) at the outer limits of the area within which electioneering is prohibited, a sign on which is printed in large letters "Distance Marker. No electioneering between this point and the entrance to the early voting polling place."

(d) A person commits an offense if the person electioneers in violation of Subsection (a).

(e) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(f) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 639, Sec. 2

The point of this law was NOT to have it applied willy-nilly regardless of what's on the ballot. But to prevent voter intimidating. A shirt merely showing a print of the 2nd Amendment, or whole Bill of Rights wouldn't be excepted to surely, so one reading simply "The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security" shouldn't either.

If they wanna use this, and not be sued in Federal Court they need to actually arrest would-be voters. Preventing people from voting using this though is a clear misuse of the law.

Imbecile alert!

I have to ask, how do you know what he intended to do? How do you know he was not electioneering? He said so?

The shirt did not say, 'vote for this, or vote down that.' It made a simple statement. From the OP.
2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security

Had nothing to do with anything on the ballot.

Yea and a vote wether or not to restrict ice cream in some sort of way - and a guy showing up with a giant CONE on his shirt - the two have NOTHING to do with one another he's not saying ANYthing.

Some ppl are fuggin nuts rlly.

Looking through the Code I couldn't find the usual 'Definitions' section. Often, legal statutes will precisely define key terms as her with 'electioneering.' Assume it'd have said like, "terms said aloud or written on signs which read: vote for, re-elect, cast your ballot...etc. are forbidden by this seciton."

Consequently, his short likely didn't violate the law since it was in no overt way political.

Forum List

Back