Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

That is basically a poll to see what republican voters think, it's not even on the dem ballot. Texas doesn't do referendum.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it is - but that doesn't change the fact that according to Texas election law, it's considered a "measure".

I still think I'll wear my Oath Keepers shirt for the hell of it, my little town doesn't get much excitement. I didn't even know that was on the ballot until I pulled up a sample a little bit ago, no one is advertising it.

Wear a coat when you go in. Take it off before you leave the booth. They can't 'unvote' you, and it would put a lump in their bed for sure.

From the link in the OP:

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The offense is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Election signs surround voting locations, but they are always kept at least that 100 foot distance from the door voters enter.

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

God almighty you're illiterate. Homeschooled?

Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

Don't like the law?

Change it.

But don't blame pill workers for enforcing it.

And, for Pete's sake stop this childish lying about "gun haters".

Oh yeah, and read your own link. You might learn something.

Or not.

Truly amazing that liberals think that supporting the US Constitution is electioneering.

Must be some of the same crowd that believe having a pocket constitution is considered possession of seditious literature.

Take a basic civics class and stop embarrassing the USMB community. :eusa_shhh:

Supporting the US Constitution would entail obeying the laws regulating elections

National elections:
Section 4.

The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.

Then there are state/county/local election laws

:cuckoo:

The man's T shirt was about the Second Amendment. Unless the Second was on the ballot, he wasn't electioneering.

Yes he was. Amendments have been debated since day one. Stop being ignorant or disingenuous as either reflects poorly on your supposed intelligence

Take a basic US History class

The man's T shirt was about the Second Amendment. Unless the Second was on the ballot, he wasn't electioneering.

Yes he was. Amendments have been debated since day one. Stop being ignorant or disingenuous as either reflects poorly on your supposed intelligence

That from someone telling people to take a History class. He doesn't even know how the Constitution is amended.

The Second Amendment was not on the ballot. If it was it would have been for us all. His shirt was about the Second Amendment.

Last edited:
From the link in the OP:

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The offense is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Election signs surround voting locations, but they are always kept at least that 100 foot distance from the door voters enter.

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

"...a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Imbecile alert!

Last edited:

That from someone telling people to take a History class. He doesn't even know how the Constitution is amended.

The Second Amendment was not on the ballot. If it was it would have been for us all. His shirt was about the Second Amendment.

At every place I've ever voted, even the appearance of violating the laws is discouraged. Only a misanthrope would support going down this road

This is a lie, and reaffirms the fact that you are indeed a liar.

From your article:

But Driskill was not being stopped by supposed liberal, anti-gun election workers. He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The voter was not turned away because of his advocacy of the Second Amendment, he was turned away for violating elections laws.

Once again we see that you and others on the right are afraid of the truth and facts, and are willing to stoop to contrivances and lies for some perceived partisan gain.

Just so everyone knows, this is the wording that is on the ballot:

Proposition No. 2: Second Amendment
Texas should support Second
Amendment liberties by expanding
locations where concealed handgun
license-holders may legally carry.
Yes NO

It is only a straw poll and is not binding on anyone.
Then you consider most people have no idea where a CHL holder can carry now and no one is doing any educational ads, it seems like a big waste of time.

Last edited:
This is a lie, and reaffirms the fact that you are indeed a liar.

From your article:

But Driskill was not being stopped by supposed liberal, anti-gun election workers. He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The voter was not turned away because of his advocacy of the Second Amendment, he was turned away for violating elections laws.

Once again we see that you and others on the right are afraid of the truth and facts, and are willing to stoop to contrivances and lies for some perceived partisan gain.

Lying cons again

His mistake was having an ID with him. If he had no ID they would have likely begged for him to vote.
If he had had no ID, and had spoken nothing but Spanish, they would have begged him to vote TWICE.

Actually, it may have been deemed as campaigning...
No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

What's next?

Will they throw a woman out of the polls, because her act of voting is a visible demonstration of support for the 19th amendment?

Can these people get any crazier?

According to the article there was a measure regarding the 2nd Amendment.

I'm not saying I agree he should not have been able to wear the shirt, but there seems to be a reason other than anti-second politics. Also the article described an incident with an Obama supporter in another election so it appears to be evenly enforced.

Edit: sorry reading further into the thread I see others already brought the other Prop up.

Last edited:

Political message and gun rights cause.

stop being a tool.

some of us support a strong 2nd yet know this guy and you are losers who would destroy things in order to score cheap shots in an imaginary game of "I'm a better citizen than you"

buck off

stop being a tool.

some of us support a strong 2nd yet know this guy and you are losers who would destroy things in order to score cheap shots in an imaginary game of "I'm a better citizen than you"

buck off

Don't you think it's possible that a person could vote NO on that measure and also support the 2nd amendment?

stop being a tool.

buck off

Don't you think it's possible that a person could vote NO on that measure and also support the 2nd amendment?
yes. what's your point?

Forum List

Back