Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

His mistake was having an ID with him. If he had no ID they would have likely begged for him to vote.

Actually, it may have been deemed as campaigning...and in a way it is. And there are laws about campaigning within a certain distance of polling places.

His mistake was having an ID with him. If he had no ID they would have likely begged for him to vote.
If he had had no ID, and had spoken nothing but Spanish, they would have begged him to vote TWICE.

Actually, it may have been deemed as campaigning...
No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

What's next?

Will they throw a woman out of the polls, because her act of voting is a visible demonstration of support for the 19th amendment?

Can these people get any crazier?

No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

You obviously did not read your own link:

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Last edited:
If he had had no ID, and had spoken nothing but Spanish, they would have begged him to vote TWICE.

What's next?

Will they throw a woman out of the polls, because her act of voting is a visible demonstration of support for the 19th amendment?

there may have not been a 2nd amendment initiative...but I am sure the 2nd amendment is a topic between the candidates.

Personally, I don't agree with the action....but I understand it....it is likely not as outrageous as it sounds.

You obviously did not read your own link:

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

I had a feeling.
Thanks.

What's next?

Do your research next time. Stop flooding the board with ignorance.

What's next?

Do your research next time. Stop flooding the board with ignorance.

People make mistakes.
No one is forced to read the post.

But yes, you have the right to express your feelings.

What's next?

Actually, you are wrong. There is a Second Amendment proposition on the statewide texas ballot:

Proposition 2: Second Amendment
Texas should support Second Amendment liberties by expanding locations where concealed handgun license-holders may legally carry.

Sorry - you guys were already all over this.

But when a stooge makes such a definitive statement of "fact" that is incorrect - they deserve to get double-tapped

Last edited:
I guess this is much a-do over nothing. Partisan venting usually is.

I think an honest person would show up to say "oops, my bad."
Everyone makes mistakes.
The true measure is how someone handles their mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes.

hah, like the OP...

or the guy at the polling place, who instead of acknowledging the pretty practical polling place law when on a bloggorant like a wine ass

Everyone makes mistakes.

hah, like the OP...

or the guy at the polling place, who instead of acknowledging the pretty practical polling place law when on a bloggorant like a wine ass

Happens all the time when you only get one side of the story.

I guess this is much a-do over nothing. Partisan venting usually is.

The attendant offered the voter the option to turn the shirt inside out.
The fact that this made news is ridiculous. The voter made a mistake, he was offered a simple solution for his mistake.....yet all hell breaks loose.

Like this morning on Fox and Friends. Apparently, a vet who worked at a car dealership was upset that the flag was tattered and insisted on taking it down. His boss said no....but he took it down anyway...and his boss told him to go home to avoid a confrontation.

Brian Kilmeade did his best to make it more of a "flag lover, flag hater" situation....but no one would bite. The employer had apologized for not changing the flag sooner and the vet admitted he was out of line.

Everyone makes mistakes.

hah, like the OP...

my immediate response to the OP was "it likely was deemed as campaigning within a polling zone"...

Why does shit like this even make the papers?

hah, like the OP...

my immediate response to the OP was "it likely was deemed as campaigning within a polling zone"...

:lol:

right after your partisan quip about id's.......

cmon shhhuun

:eusa_angel:

:lol:

right after your partisan quip about id's.......

cmon shhhuun

:eusa_angel:

Have your fun.....

And it is not a partisan quip.

I truly am disheartened by the fact that ID is not a requirement for the privilege to vote in the US.

And it has nothing to do with voter fraud. I have yet to see any statistic that says it exists.

It has to do with pride. Voting is a privilege and I believe we should all be proud to prove our citizenship when it comes to voting.

Forum List

Back