Vladimir Putin gives an interview to the newspaper Il Corriere della Sera (Italy)

Stratford57

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2014
Kievan Rus'
Ahead of his visit to Italy, Vladimir Putin gave an interview to the newspaper Il Corriere della Sera.

Ai4MX84MGPgoMR5wsdIdYmXdjxT2SLYV.jpg

Putin answers the questions about Ukraine too. He also tells his opinion about relationship with Europe and how ridiculous is to think that Russia wants to start a war with some European countries, who are predicting it. To me what he says makes a lot of sense, below I am posting only a couple of of his answers:

Putin: “What are the roots of the Ukrainian crisis? Its cause seems to be completely disproportionate to what has become an utter tragedy today claiming many lives in southeast Ukraine. What sparked the crisis? Former President Viktor Yanukovych said that he needed to think about signing Ukraine’s Association Agreement with the EU, possibly make some changes and hold consultations with Russia, its major trade and economic partner. In this connection or under this pretext riots broke out in Kiev. They were actively supported both by our European and American partners. Then a coup d'état followed – a totally anti-constitutional act. The new authorities announced that they were going to sign the Association Agreement but would delay its implementation until January 1, 2016. The question is: what was the coup d'état for? Why did they need to escalate the situation to a civil war? The result is exactly the same.

I think that today the document we agreed upon in Minsk, called Minsk‑II, is the best agreement and perhaps the only unequivocal solution to this problem. We would never have agreed upon it if we had not considered it to be right, just and feasible.

On our part, we take every effort, and will continue to do so, in order to influence the authorities of the unrecognised self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk republics. But not everything depends on us. Our European and US partners should exert influence on the current Kiev administration. We do not have the power, as Europe and the United States do, to convince Kiev to carry out everything that was agreed on in Minsk.

I can tell you what needs to be done; maybe I will anticipate your next question. The key aspect of the political settlement was to create conditions for this joint work, but it was essential to stop the hostilities, to pull back heavy weaponry. On the whole, this has been done. Unfortunately, there is still shooting occasionally and there are casualties, but there are no large‑scale hostilities, the sides have been separated. It is time to begin implementing the Minsk Agreements.

Specifically, there needs to be a constitutional reform to ensure the autonomous rights of the unrecognised republics. The Kiev authorities do not want to call it autonomy, they prefer different terms, such as decentralisation. Our European partners, those very partners who wrote the corresponding clause in the Minsk Agreements, explained what should be understood as decentralisation. It gives them the right to speak their language, to have their own cultural identity and engage in cross‑border trade – nothing special, nothing beyond the civilised understanding of ethnic minorities’ rights in any European country.

A law should be adopted on municipal elections in these territories and a law on amnesty. All this should be done, as the Minsk Agreements read, in coordination with Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic, with these territories.

The problem is that the current Kiev authorities don’t even want to sit down to talks with them. And there is nothing we can do about it. Only our European and American partners can influence this situation. There is no need to threaten us with sanctions. We have nothing to do with this, this is not our position. We seek to ensure the implementation of the Minsk Agreements.

It is essential to launch economic and social rehabilitation of these territories. What has happened there, exactly? The current Kiev authorities have simply cut them off from the rest of the country. They discontinued all social payments – pensions, benefits; they cut off the banking system, made regular energy supply impossible, and so on. So you see, there is a humanitarian disaster in those regions. And everybody is pretending that nothing is wrong.

Our European colleagues have taken on certain obligations, in particular they promised to help restore the banking system in these territories. Finally, since we are talking about what can or must be done, and by whom, I believe that the European Union could surely provide greater financial assistance to Ukraine. These are the main points.

I would like to stress that Russia is interested in and will strive to ensure the full and unconditional implementation of the Minsk Agreements, and I don’t believe there is any other way to settle this conflict today.

Incidentally, the leaders of the self-proclaimed republics have publicly stated that under certain conditions – meaning the implementation of the Minsk Agreements – they are ready to consider themselves part of the Ukrainian state. This is a fundamental issue. I think this position should be viewed as a sound precondition for the start of substantial negotiations.”

Paolo Valentino: Speaking of peace, the countries that used to be parties to the Warsaw Treaty and today are NATO countries, such as the Baltic states and Poland, feel threatened by Russia. NATO has decided to create special forces to address these concerns. My question is whether the West is right in its determination to restrain “the Russian bear”, and why does Russia continue to speak in such a contentious tone?

Vladimir Putin: Russia does not speak with anyone in a contentious tone, and in such matters, to quote a political figure from the past, Otto von Bismarck, it is not discussions but the potential that counts.

What does the actual potential show? US military spending is higher than that of all countries in the world taken together. The aggregate military spending of NATO countries is 10 times, note – 10 times higher than that of the Russian Federation. Russia has virtually no bases abroad. We have the remnants of our armed forces (since Soviet times) in Tajikistan, on the border with Afghanistan, which is an area where the terrorist threat is particularly high. The same role is played by our airbase in Kyrgyzstan; it is also aimed at addressing the terrorist threat and was set up at the request of the Kyrgyz authorities after a terrorist attack perpetrated by terrorists from Afghanistan on Kyrgyzstan.

We have kept since Soviet times a military unit at a base in Armenia. It plays a certain stabilising role in the region, but it is not targeted against anyone. We have dismantled our bases in various regions of the world, including Cuba, Vietnam, and so on. This means that our policy in this respect is not global, offensive or aggressive.

I invite you to publish the world map in your newspaper and to mark all the US military bases on it. You will see the difference.

Sometimes I am asked about our airplanes flying somewhere far, over the Atlantic Ocean. Patrolling by strategic airplanes in remote regions was carried out only by the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War. In the early 1990s, we, the new, modern Russia, stopped these flights, but our American friends continued to fly along our borders. Why? Some years ago, we resumed these flights. And you want to say that we have been aggressive?

American submarines are on permanent alert off the Norwegian coast; they are equipped with missiles that can reach Moscow in 17 minutes. But we dismantled all of our bases in Cuba a long time ago, even the non-strategic ones. And you would call us aggressive?

You yourself have mentioned NATO’s expansion to the east. As for us, we are not expanding anywhere; it is NATO infrastructure, including military infrastructure, that is moving towards our borders. Is this a manifestation of our aggression?

Finally, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, which was to a large extent the cornerstone of the entire international security system. Anti-missile systems, bases and radars are located in the European territory or in the sea, e.g. in the Mediterranean Sea, and in Alaska. We have said many times that this undermines international security. Do you think this is a display of our aggression as well?

Everything we do is just a response to the threats emerging against us. Besides, what we do is limited in scope and scale, which are, however, sufficient to ensure Russia's security. Or did someone expect Russia to disarm unilaterally?

I have proposed to our American partners not to withdraw from the treaty unilaterally, but to create an ABM system together, the three of us: Russia, the United States and Europe. But this proposal was declined. We said at the time: ”Well, this is an expensive system, its efficiency is not proven, but to ensure the strategic balance we will develop our strategic offensive potential, we will develop systems of overpowering anti-ballistic defence. And I have to say that we have made significant strides in this area.

As for some countries’ concerns about Russia's possible aggressive actions, I think that only an insane person and only in a dream can imagine that Russia would suddenly attack NATO. I think some countries are simply taking advantage of people’s fears with regard to Russia. They just want to play the role of front-line countries that should receive some supplementary military, economic, financial or some other aid. Therefore, it is pointless to support this idea; it is absolutely groundless. But some may be interested in fostering such fears. I can only make a conjecture.

For example, the Americans do not want Russia's rapprochement with Europe. I am not asserting this, it is just a hypothesis. Let’s suppose that the United States would like to maintain its leadership in the Atlantic community. It needs an external threat, an external enemy to ensure this leadership. Iran is clearly not enough – this threat is not very scary or big enough. Who can be frightening? And then suddenly this crisis unfolds in Ukraine. Russia is forced to respond. Perhaps, it was engineered on purpose, I don’t know. But it was not our doing.

Let me tell you something – there is no need to fear Russia. The world has changed so drastically that people with some common sense cannot even imagine such a large-scale military conflict today. We have other things to think about, I assure you.

Paolo Valentino: But you cooperate with the United States on Iran, and John Kerry's visit sent yet another message in this regard. Or am I wrong?

Vladimir Putin: You are right – it did. We are cooperating not only on the Iranian nuclear programme, but on other serious issues as well. Despite America's withdrawal from the ABM Treaty, our arms control dialogue continues.

We are not just partners; I would say we are allies in addressing the issues related to non‑proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. We are undoubtedly allies in the fight against terrorism. There are some other areas of collaboration as well. The central theme of Expo Milano, which you mentioned earlier, is yet another example of our joint work. Indeed, there are plenty of issues that we continue to tackle jointly.

Interview to the Italian newspaper Il Corriere della Sera President of Russia

With the Nazi-putsch in Ukraine and the support for terrorists, the West has definitely left the path of humanity and should be closed until reasonable people take over the governments.
You don´t believe what I have to hear about Putin on German TV. The media puppets just turn the truth around and incite against Putin as if he was behind the riots in the Ukraine.

The countries of the Baltic's down Poland to Romania are tired of many centuries for Russian empire building, and after Pootin announced his plans to revitalize the Russian Empire is proof enough for the line to be drawn and the resistance to Pootin.....

It's no secret that the Ukraine has always been Russia's bread basket, does anyone really believe Putin and Russia wont say or do anything to keep it that way?

Since Stalin went to all that trouble killing the independent Ukraine, why not?
Most of killed by Stalin and other communists were russians, not ukranians. So the Russians have more rights to blame other nations of the USSR than vice versa.

Most of killed by Stalin and other communists were russians, not ukranians. So the Russians have more rights to blame other nations of the USSR than vice versa.

Blame for what?

QUOTE="Bleipriester, post: 11550528, member: 41102"]With the Nazi-putsch in Ukraine and the support for terrorists, the West has definitely left the path of humanity and should be closed until reasonable people take over the governments.
You don´t believe what I have to hear about Putin on German TV. The media puppets just turn the truth around and incite against Putin as if he was behind the riots in the Ukraine.[ QUOTE]

As far as I know German ARD channel shows a lot more truth than the others.

Since the very beginning of the conflict in Ukraine Merkel has shown herself as a very non-independent politician, doing what official Washington makes her do. And more and more people in Germany and in the rest of the world start realizing it. It was funny to watch G7 meeting, where Obama was chewing his gum as always and behaving like a king. Russians even started joking: G7 should be called G1 from now on.

I believe the picture was taken in Germany:

upload_2015-6-16_10-16-11.png

There are more reasons to say in that way than conversely.

So, you think that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a good thing, don’t you? Because after it your compatriots were able to get rid of the oppression.

There are more reasons to say in that way than conversely.

So, you think that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a good thing, don’t you? Because after it your compatriots were able to get rid of the oppression.
Collapse of the communism is a good thing. Why the former territory of Russian Empire should be destroyed - that know only adepts of this ideology.

Putin is a a warmonger and continues to lie about his troops being in Ukraine.

youtube.com/watch?v=2zssIFN2mso
More BS from you. Do you accept everything the American media and government tells you?

If Putin is a warmonger, what does that make BO and W?
I believe this video is accurate about Russian soldiers in an armored unit coming from western Russia to fight as a unit in Ukraine. They are soldiers with Asian features who posted selfies on social media. The investigators went to the exact places where one of the soldiers went and took those selfies. Photos were taken of the exact spots so that it is clear the soldier is taking photo's in Ukraine. Eye witnesses in a village confirm the Russian soldiers being in their village. Photos and eye witnesses. What more proof is needed. This is of course in addition to the captured Russian paratroopers. That is a different story.

Putin is a a warmonger and continues to lie about his troops being in Ukraine.

youtube.com/watch?v=2zssIFN2mso
More BS from you. Do you accept everything the American media and government tells you?

If Putin is a warmonger, what does that make BO and W?
I believe this video is accurate about Russian soldiers in an armored unit coming from western Russia to fight as a unit in Ukraine. They are soldiers with Asian features who posted selfies on social media. The investigators went to the exact places where one of the soldiers went and took those selfies. Photos were taken of the exact spots so that it is clear the soldier is taking photo's in Ukraine. Eye witnesses in a village confirm the Russian soldiers being in their village. Photos and eye witnesses. What more proof is needed. This is of course in addition to the captured Russian paratroopers. That is a different story.
Who cares? It is none of our government's business what goes on there.

Why are you a tool of the .01%?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back