Virginia: National Guard DADT DOA...

Things are getting better in Virginia, but for us, they are still like visiting a 3rd world country.

You mean a Third World Country that has a surplus in their state budget?

Virginia surplus doubles estimate - Aug. 19, 2010

Which one would that be?

Their budget has nothing to do with our concerns if one of us got hurt or sick while there.

They don't have doctors in Virginia?

Do doctors in Virginia refuse to examine the sexually confused?

Things are getting better in Virginia, but for us, they are still like visiting a 3rd world country.

Which one would that be?

Their budget has nothing to do with our concerns if one of us got hurt or sick while there.

Were you in a small town in Virginia or something? I don't remember Doctors refusing care to gay patients.

Which one would that be?

Were you in a small town in Virginia or something? I don't remember Doctors refusing care to gay patients.

Did you ask your sister to pretend she was your GF?

Which one would that be?

Legally, by their 3rd world laws....if my wife got sick or injured, they could keep me from making medical decisions or could even keep me out of visiting her. They don't recognize my adoption of our daughter....

Sorry, I simply do not go there and my relatives there understand...they visit us.

Legally, by their 3rd world laws....if my wife got sick or injured, they could keep me from making medical decisions or could even keep me out of visiting her. They don't recognize my adoption of our daughter....

Sorry, I simply do not go there and my relatives there understand...they visit us.

Really? I didn't know it was like that.

Balanced Budget; No recognition of Queer Marriage.....hell, Virginia sounds like it has it's shit together.

:clap2::clap2:

The state national guard is not the state malitia or any type of miltia. The national Guard is not made up of private citizens who own those weapons they carry when they gone on when deployed.

Uh, yes, the National Guard IS the state militia. .
Not quite. The National Guard (Army and Air) are PART of the Virginia militia:
Virginia Code
§ 44-1. Composition of militia.

The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia.

It is...they specifically passed a law making it that way. They do not recognize our marriage, any civil union, or even any legal paperwork allowing us to make legal or medical decisions for each other.

It is...they specifically passed a law making it that way. They do not recognize our marriage, any civil union, or even any legal paperwork allowing us to make legal or medical decisions for each other.

Wow, is it like that in every state that does not recognize gay marriage?

The state national guard is not the state malitia or any type of miltia. The national Guard is not made up of private citizens who own those weapons they carry when they gone on when deployed.

Uh, yes, the National Guard IS the state militia. .
Not quite. The National Guard (Army and Air) are PART of the Virginia militia:
Virginia Code
§ 44-1. Composition of militia.

The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia.

I followed the link provided (curious was I on what an "unorganized militia" looked like). Others might enjoy reading what this post omits.

No, but there are some states that have gone out of their way to pass laws forbidding any recognition of gay marriage, civil unions, powers of attorney. Florida and Texas are another two...may be others, but don't know off the top of my head.

Very sad case a few years back of a couple who went to Florida from Washington state for a cruise...had all the appropriate papers, etc. One had a brain aneurism, went into a coma and was taken to the hospital. Her wife and kids were NOT allowed to see her, let alone make any medical decisions. They had MORE paperwork faxed from Wash....powers of attorney, etc. and the hospital told them they were not going to recognize them because of FL state law. After raising a big stink, they were finally let in just about the time she died.

No, but there are some states that have gone out of their way to pass laws forbidding any recognition of gay marriage, civil unions, powers of attorney. Florida and Texas are another two...may be others, but don't know off the top of my head.

Very sad case a few years back of a couple who went to Florida from Washington state for a cruise...had all the appropriate papers, etc. One had a brain aneurism, went into a coma and was taken to the hospital. Her wife and kids were NOT allowed to see her, let alone make any medical decisions. They had MORE paperwork faxed from Wash....powers of attorney, etc. and the hospital told them they were not going to recognize them because of FL state law. After raising a big stink, they were finally let in just about the time she died.

Thats terrible, if I were gay I would stay the fuck out of those states to.

Uh, yes, the National Guard IS the state militia. Ownership of the weapons or equipment is not a necessity for a body to be a militia. Congress has the power to make rules for arming the militia of the several states.

Aside from what VA might stand to lose with this bill, I think it would have been unconstitutional. Aside from the court decision late last year saying that DADT violated soldiers' 1st amendment rights, it would also have violated the constitution's explicit grant to Congress to provide for the "disciplining" and training of the militia.

Also, hypothetically speaking, if such a law passed and the federal government stopped recognizing the VA nasty girls, I don't think there would be a major issue as far as Veteran benefits go. Generally speaking, the reserve and National Guard do not earn any kind of benefits from the federal government.

Uh, yes, the National Guard IS the state militia. Ownership of the weapons or equipment is not a necessity for a body to be a militia. Congress has the power to make rules for arming the militia of the several states.
What does the second amendment say about a militia?

IF the VA guard doesn't want to drop DADT then they should go w/o fed money.

cripes, it's a state militia. the State should pony up the dough.

I agree with this post. If the VA guard doesn't want to drop DADT then let them go without federal money. I doubt that such a experiment would last very long however.

It doesn't say it has to have federal funding. If Virginia were to choose to have it's own Guard/Militia we could. Just might not get federal dollars to pay for bullets and beans.

>>>>

It doesn't say it has to have federal funding. If Virginia were to choose to have it's own Guard/Militia we could. Just might not get federal dollars to pay for bullets and beans.

>>>>

My comment was in responce to the claim that the militia was the national guard. It isn't unless the members of the guard get to keep those weapons they carry.

Aside from what VA might stand to lose with this bill, I think it would have been unconstitutional. Aside from the court decision late last year saying that DADT violated soldiers' 1st amendment rights, it would also have violated the constitution's explicit grant to Congress to provide for the "disciplining" and training of the militia.

Also, hypothetically speaking, if such a law passed and the federal government stopped recognizing the VA nasty girls, I don't think there would be a major issue as far as Veteran benefits go. Generally speaking, the reserve and National Guard do not earn any kind of benefits from the federal government.

What does Article I, section 8, clause 15 & 16 say about militias?

The funny thing about that is that the Texas constitutional amendment prohibits the state from recognizing any marriage, period. :lol:

Forum List

Back