Virginia: National Guard DADT DOA...

WorldWatcher

Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
VA
>

Delegate Bob Marshall (R-Prince Wiliam County) of the Virginia State Legislature submitted a bill (HB2474) would should have re-instituted the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy as a condition of service in the Virginia National Guard.

The Bill died in committee.

The State Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) indicated that if the Legislature had passed such a law the Federal government could choose not to recognize Virginia's National Guard and said the Guard could loose it's federal funding (which I've read elsewhere is about $200,000,000 a year). But if you follow that logic there are also other repercussions that could be possible if the Fed's didn't recognize the VA National Guard such as: loss of veterans status for those in the state militia, loss of ability to use federal equipment (the Feds own the planes, tanks, and guns), and loss of the ability to "drill" on federal property.

Panel rejects 'don?t ask, don?t tell' for Va. National Guard | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

>>>>

>

Delegate Bob Marshall (R-Prince Wiliam County) of the Virginia State Legislature submitted a bill (HB2474) would should have re-instituted the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy as a condition of service in the Virginia National Guard.

The State Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) indicated that if the Legislature had passed such a law the Federal government could choose not to recognize Virginia's National Guard and said the Guard could loose it's federal funding (which I've read elsewhere is about $200,000,000 a year). But if you follow that logic there are also other repercussions that could be possible if the Fed's didn't recognize the VA National Guard such as: loss of veterans status for those in the state militia, loss of ability to use federal equipment (the Feds own the planes, tanks, and guns), and loss of the ability to "drill" on federal property.

Panel rejects 'don?t ask, don?t tell' for Va. National Guard | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

>>>>

The state national guard is not the state malitia or any type of miltia. The national Guard is not made up of private citizens who own those weapons they carry when they gone on when deployed.

>

>>>>

The state national guard is not the state malitia or any type of miltia. The national Guard is not made up of private citizens who own those weapons they carry when they gone on when deployed.

OK, that's fine.

Other than that, bump for the lunch crowd.

>>>>

Last edited:
Sounds like Delegate Bob Marshall should spend his time focusing on real issues instead of trying to legislate morality.

Then again, maybe the States should having more control over the National Guard, may be a mixed blessing.

Things are getting better in Virginia, but for us, they are still like visiting a 3rd world country.

I haven't spent much time there. I've traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel a couple of times. Strange laws still I'm told. Not 3rd world exactly, more like "Living In The Past" to quote Tull. Soft Shell Crabs work for me though.

Things are getting better in Virginia, but for us, they are still like visiting a 3rd world country.

I haven't spent much time there. I've traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel a couple of times. Strange laws still I'm told. Not 3rd world exactly, more like "Living In The Past" to quote Tull. Soft Shell Crabs work for me though.

Hold on, let me check something...

............................................. OK, I'm back.

Bod is talking about (I assume, correct me if I'm wrong Bod), the amendment to the State constitution (Article 15A, passed in 2004) that denies state recognition of any legal status that attempts to approximate the "design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage". This can have, theoretically, significant impact for legally married same-sex couples and call into question their legal status as parents since "parenting" is one of the qualities and effects of marriage for couples with children.

>>>>

Hold on, let me check something...

............................................. OK, I'm back.

Bod is talking about (I assume, correct me if I'm wrong Bod), the amendment to the State constitution (Article 15A, passed in 2004) that denies state recognition of any legal status that attempts to approximate the "design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage". This can have, theoretically, significant impact for legally married same-sex couples and call into question their legal status as parents since "parenting" is one of the qualities and effects of marriage for couples with children.

>>>>
Exactly. I would hate to think what might happen if we were visiting relatives in VA and one of us got sick or injured. *shudder.

It is a good practice to not bring up Family in a Thread because that can open you up to Attack. Never in a Controversial Thread where there is Fighting. There are safer Threads to do it in, but there is alway's risk. Just a Head's Up.

It is a good practice to not bring up Family in a Thread because that can open you up to Attack. Never in a Controversial Thread where there is Fighting. There are safer Threads to do it in, but there is alway's risk. Just a Head's Up.

Thank you, I moved it to a PM.

>>>>

LMAO have you ever visited a third world country? hit up Haiti, Pakistan or Yemen and tell me if Virginia is like that.

21 years in the Military? Yeah....I've managed to visit a few...try Dakar, Senegal.......

So you think Virginia is similar to that? what parts oif Virginia have you been to?

Uh, yes, the National Guard IS the state militia. Ownership of the weapons or equipment is not a necessity for a body to be a militia. Congress has the power to make rules for arming the militia of the several states.

Aside from what VA might stand to lose with this bill, I think it would have been unconstitutional. Aside from the court decision late last year saying that DADT violated soldiers' 1st amendment rights, it would also have violated the constitution's explicit grant to Congress to provide for the "disciplining" and training of the militia.

Also, hypothetically speaking, if such a law passed and the federal government stopped recognizing the VA nasty girls, I don't think there would be a major issue as far as Veteran benefits go. Generally speaking, the reserve and National Guard do not earn any kind of benefits from the federal government.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, the reserve and National Guard do not earn any kind of benefits from the federal government.

Bonuses - typically funded with federal dollars.

Drill pay - typically funded with federal dollars.

Federal Montgomery GI Bill for college tuition and 300 per month.

Use of Federal Military bases for tax free shopping.

Classification as a Veteran with benefits under the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs such as Veteran Home Mortgage guarantees.

Time served in the Guard earns points toward a federal military retirement.

Not saying the state couldn't establish new funding pipelines to replace drill, tuition, mortgage guarantees, etc... But $200,000,000 in Virginia? Our state budget has been going through drastic reductions over the last couple of years because of the economy. I doubt if $200-million in new spending would make it to the table.

Didn't mean to imply before that those that had been in the guard for honorable service would loose any or all of the benefits due a recognized veteran. However with removal of federal recognition of a State National Guard, then any new personnel in that States Guard might not qualify for corresponding federal benefits.

Benefits | NATIONAL GUARD
http://www.nationalguard.com/benefits/additional-guard-benefits

Last edited:

Forum List

Back