Vigilantes

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Solace, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Solace

Solace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What are your thoughts on vigilantes? Vigilantes are people who take care of the bad guys that the police fail to catch. For instance, an extreme case of vigilantism would be Dexter Morgan from the TV show Dexter. It is generally frowned (illegal) upon by most law enforcement agencies. I think that it's a good thing, so long as they don't cross the line, for instance, if they make sure that whoever they are about to kill or arrest is beyond a reasonable doubt guilty first, and so long as they only kill people who committed really bad crimes like murder or rape or genocide or something along those lines. That being said, I don't know any vigilantes personally, but so long as they are doing good, I have no problem with it. If it works, it works. You know what they say, the end justifies the means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    You should be afraid

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    My thoughts include how the hell we get rid of the kids from the forum.

4. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,818
    i eat them for dinner.

5. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    That is a pretty ignorant saying. Following that kind of a path almost always leads to causing more harm than the "ends justifies".

Just how would someone know beyond a reasonable doubt what someone else did? Hearsay? If a judge threw out a case that was proven beyond any doubt otherwise and say it was raping a child and the father of the child caused the rapist to "dissapear"... and left no evidense that he was involved.. It would probably not be investigated to terribly hard by the cops. But there is a reason why we live under the protection of the law. I don't think I would want you making those decisions in my community.

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Why base your argument on a Fictional Reference??? As much as I love the Series Dexter, it is beyond way over the line, Solace. In real life that is not Vigilantism, it is Serial Killing.

You want a good fictional reference to Vigilantism? Start here. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071402/

7. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,724
    In contemplating the Dexter example you must consider its purpose. What purpose do Dexter's activities serve?

Arresting and punishing a criminal is a public process and so it serves the critically important purpose of deterrent. But what Dexter does serves no purpose other than satisfying his pathological homicidal compulsion. In my opinion the Dexter series is somewhat entertaining in the way the continuing plot is laid out but for the most part the theme is psychologically unhealthy

Dexter is not a vigilante in the classic sense of the word. He is in fact a sadistic homicidal maniac who rationalizes his sickness as having socially redeeming value, which it really doesn't.

Boardwalk Empire is a good series. It's very entertaining drama with a basis in historical facts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    "Dexter" isn't really a vigilante. He's a serial killer who's father redirected his serial killing instincts from random persons to people who really deserve it.

I suspect if Dexter couldn't find a suitable victim his urges would probably overwhelm him and he'd probably kill anyone. (Yes, I'm a huge Dexter fan!)

9. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    :clap2:

10. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Mexicans gettin' fed up with drug crimes...
    [​IMG]
    Mexican Crime Wave, Vigilantism Prompt Calls for Citizens to Be Armed in Their Cars and Businesses
    November 22, 2016 – A lawmaker’s proposal to loosen gun laws so Mexican citizens can arm themselves in their cars and at their businesses faces stiff opposition here despite record numbers of gun homicides and a surge in public transit robberies that has provoked a vengeful backlash by armed vigilantes.