Vid of dumb guy being arrested for pointing a laser at planes...

tycho1572

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2016
5e2eed72d5d71.image.jpg

Florida man arrested after shining laser pointer at planes, police say

I'm gonna guess he's a democrat. :)

As stupid as this is, it's not really a major threat to air safety.

If you look at how a plane lands, they maintain a level attitude until the the final leg of the approach, where they descend with a slight down pitch towards the runway. In order to shine a laser into the cockpit of a plane, particularly a heavy commercial plane, you would have to be standing on the runway or right at either end to get a line of sight into the cockpit.

If you look at how a plane lands, they maintain a level attitude until the the final leg of the approach, where they descend with a slight down pitch towards the runway. In order to shine a laser into the cockpit of a plane, particularly a heavy commercial plane, you would have to be standing on the runway or right at either end to get a line of sight into the cockpit.
Laser Pointer Safety - What makes lasers hazardous to aviation
Not everyone agrees with you.

Wait... blinding a pilot isn't dangerous?

I always like landings with a blind pilot.

Laser Pointer Safety - What makes lasers hazardous to aviation
Not everyone agrees with you.

It appears that they do agree with me in not being a major threat to aviation..

"Fortunately, it is unlikely that exposure to the light alone could cause an accident. In almost 75,000 reported laser illuminations worldwide from 2004 through 2018 there have not been any accidents. However, experts are concerned that bright light occurring at the wrong time — such as during an emergency, or when there is another problem for pilots to deal with — could be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Because of the way planes land and take off, it's difficult for an idiot with a .5w laser pointer to get a beam directly into the eyes of a pilot.

I always like landings with a blind pilot.

They use dogs now...

61o770H-kWL._SL1001_.jpg

When I was in the 'sandbox' the hajis (mostly kids) found out they could fuck with our LAIRCM and DIRCM systems with little handheld lazers that could be purchased at bazaar.
Those merchants did not sell them for long.

If you wanted to take down a plane with a laser, or at least incapacitate the flight crew, you should start with a high powered laser, preferably IR (so it can't be spotted), placed outside an airport but in line with the active runway.

It would have to be manually trained to account for the drift and crab of the landing aircraft.

It could be done if someone was deliberate enough to do it.

It appears that they do agree with me in not being a major threat to aviation..

"Fortunately, it is unlikely that exposure to the light alone could cause an accident. In almost 75,000 reported laser illuminations worldwide from 2004 through 2018 there have not been any accidents. However, experts are concerned that bright light occurring at the wrong time — such as during an emergency, or when there is another problem for pilots to deal with — could be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Because of the way planes land and take off, it's difficult for an idiot with a .5w laser pointer to get a beam directly into the eyes of a pilot.
It's "difficult" for someone with a bow and arrow to shoot into passing autos from an overpass, or from a wooded area adjacent to a highway. That doesn't make the danger of one idiot with a hunter's bow and one lucky shot any less real.

I take these dangers seriously.

Because of the way planes land and take off, it's difficult for an idiot with a .5w laser pointer to get a beam directly into the eyes of a pilot
1/2 watt laser pointer?! I think you mean 5 MILIwatts. That's the legal limit anyway. You can buy or make much more powerful, but we can't talk about that stuff.

Because of the way planes land and take off, it's difficult for an idiot with a .5w laser pointer to get a beam directly into the eyes of a pilot
1/2 watt laser pointer?! I think you mean 5 MILIwatts. That's the legal limit anyway. You can buy or make much more powerful, but we can't talk about that stuff.

Building a more powerful laser from an off the shelf laser diode isn't difficult. It's a current driven device so the more current you force into the diode, the more powerful the beam, and the larger the heatsink you will require to dissipate the heat through the diode (keeping it from burning up).

As I said before, a determined individual could create a purpose-built device which would have to be placed in line of site with landing planes to be effective.

Crack-heads pointing .005W laser pointers at landing plane is a very insignificant threat, as the figures above support.

At a factory where I worked years ago, we had an extremely powerful hand held laser used to identify and align large automatic material stacking systems.

When taken outside at night during break time, it was amazing how far away you see that small orange dot when shined on a distant object.

Although a laser this powerful isn't generally for sale to the public, plus it's pretty expensive to buy.

I'm sure the beam from this laser could easily blind a person if shined in their eyes regardless of distance. ... :cool:

Which of course is easy to do, because -- get this -- they never move those runways. Always in the same place, always facing the same direction. Fun little bit of trivia. ;)

Forum List

Back