Victory Indeed!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I gotta run, but just saw this and thought some of you would enjoy:

http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/2005/01/people-have-won.html

The people have won.
We would love to share what we did this morning with the whole world, we can't describe the feelings we've been through but we'll try to share as much as we can with you.
We woke up this morning one hour before the alarm clock was supposed to ring. As a matter of fact, we barely slept at all last night out of excitement and anxiety.

The first thing we saw this morning on our way to the voting center was a convoy of the Iraqi army vehicles patrolling the street, the soldiers were cheering the people marching towards their voting centers then one of the soldiers chanted "vote for Allawi" less than a hundred meters, the convoy stopped and the captain in charge yelled at the soldier who did that and said:
"You're a member of the military institution and you have absolutely no right to support any political entity or interfere with the people's choice. This is Iraq's army, not Allawi's".
This was a good sign indeed and the young officer's statement was met by applause from the people on the street.
The streets were completely empty except for the Iraqi and the coalition forces ' patrols, and of course kids seizing the chance to play soccer!

We had all kinds of feelings in our minds while we were on our way to the ballot box except one feeling that never came to us, that was fear.
We could smell pride in the atmosphere this morning; everyone we saw was holding up his blue tipped finger with broad smiles on the faces while walking out of the center.

I couldn't think of a scene more beautiful than that.
From the early hours of the morning, People filled the street to the voting center in my neighborhood; youths, elders, women and men. Women's turn out was higher by the way. And by 11 am the boxes where I live were almost full!
Anyone watching that scene cannot but have tears of happiness, hope, pride and triumph.

The sounds of explosions and gunfire were clearly heard, some were far away but some were close enough to make the windows of the center shake but no one seemed to care about them as if the people weren't hearing these sounds at all.
I saw an old woman that I thought would get startled by the loud sound of a close explosion but she didn't seem to care, instead she was busy verifying her voting station's location as she found out that her name wasn't listed in this center.

How can I describe it!? Take my eyes and look through them my friends, you have supported the day of Iraq's freedom and today, Iraqis have proven that they're not going to disappoint their country or their friends.

Is there a bigger victory than this? I believe not.

I still recall the first group of comments that came to this blog 14 months ago when many of the readers asked "The Model?"… "Model for what?"
Take a look today to meet the model of courage and human desire to achieve freedom; people walking across the fire to cast their votes.

Could any model match this one!? Could any bravery match the Iraqis'!?
Let the remaining tyrants of the world learn the lesson from this day.

The media is reporting only explosions and suicide attacks that killed and injured many Iraqis s far but this hasn't stopped the Iraqis from marching towards their voting stations with more determination. Iraqis have truly raced the sun.

I walked forward to my station, cast my vote and then headed to the box, where I wanted to stand as long as I could, then I moved to mark my finger with ink, I dipped it deep as if I was poking the eyes of all the world's tyrants.
I put the paper in the box and with it, there were tears that I couldn't hold; I was trembling with joy and I felt like I wanted to hug the box but the supervisor smiled at me and said "brother, would you please move ahead, the people are waiting for their turn".

Yes brothers, proceed and fill the box!
These are stories that will be written on the brightest pages of history.

It was hard for us to leave the center but we were happy because we were sure that we will stand here in front of the box again and again and again.
Today, there's no voice louder than that of freedom.

No more confusion about what the people want, they have said their word and they said it loud and the world has got to respct and support the people's will.

God bless your brave steps sons of Iraq and God bless the defenders of freedom.

Aasha Al-Iraq….Aasha Al-Iraq….Aasha Al-Iraq.

Mohammed and Omar.

Excellent! Thank you. I get tears in my eyes just watching the Iraqis on TV as they cast their votes. They are so happy and so proud! I don't think many Americans take their right to vote as seriously or treasure this right as much as the Iraqis do.

Could any model match this one!? Could any bravery match the Iraqis'!?

Yes, Mohammed and Omar, the American Revolution set the standard.

That is why we support you. :salute:

I couldn't help it, I swear I couldn't. I had to see DU. I thought maybe my earlier analysis had been mistaken, and whatever irrational beef they had with Bush would not let them think bad of Iraqi Democracy, and they would celebrate those people being free also.

Ahahaha...ahhhhhh.

Shortly put: All the candidates are US pupputs, turnout numbers are inflated by Bush, and Iraqis are too dumb to know whats good for them, just like Americans.

well not all of us can be as smart as all those people at the DU think tank. Or was that the DU padded room? :cuckoo: Anyway i dont think that portion of society that speaks loudest and carries the smallest stick will ever get anything accomplished because of the mental superiority to the rest of us serfs.

Man in Suleimaniya (northeastern Iraq, near the Iranian border) being carried to the polls:

r845280205.jpg

I agree with all of the posters above. The more I watch the interviews, the more the Iraqi people have impressed me.

As for Americans not taking their vote seriously, there is something to that. I think perhaps most do not understand the dependency on civic involvement and the rights they enjoy, Americans have mostly been able to ride on other's votes.

There are times though when some become awakened to the facts, when they determine that some of their rights are being threatened, whether true or not. It can be something like being a business owner and OSHA gives you more than a few rules. It could be workers feeling they are being abused for whatever reason, and seeking redress. It can be 18 year olds, thinking there should be a right to vote-if they are required to register for a draft...

theim said:
I couldn't help it, I swear I couldn't. I had to see DU. I thought maybe my earlier analysis had been mistaken, and whatever irrational beef they had with Bush would not let them think bad of Iraqi Democracy, and they would celebrate those people being free also.

Ahahaha...ahhhhhh.

Shortly put: All the candidates are US pupputs, turnout numbers are inflated by Bush, and Iraqis are too dumb to know whats good for them, just like Americans.

Same over at polyrap. Puppets and NeoCons. But, it is fun to beat upon the :cuckoo: poor deluded ones.

BTW: How to make a smiley that says "Get over it"?

Kathianne said:
I agree with all of the posters above. The more I watch the interviews, the more the Iraqi people have impressed me.

Congratulations to the Iraqis for having the courage to vote in the face of a very credible threat.

As for being impressed - I'll save that for a year from now if their government is still in existence and has not been taken over by the mullahs.

This is an amazing day in the history of the world. two years ago Iraq was weighed down in tyranny and because of our troops a new world has begun for the Iraqis.

Merlin1047 said:
Congratulations to the Iraqis for having the courage to vote in the face of a very credible threat.

As for being impressed - I'll save that for a year from now if their government is still in existence and has not been taken over by the mullahs.

Nope, I'll still be impressed with the people. With the man that held up his voting receipt and said it was a bullet to the terrorists.

To the woman who held up her ink stained finger and said to the effect it was for the future of her country.

To the thousands of Iraqi voting monitors who showed up, when the UN was too afraid to send in monitors, in spite of being known targets of the terrorists.

Of the Iraqi military and police, who were the first and second line of defense, who kept all the suicide bombers outside of the polling places.

onedomino said:
Man in Suleimaniya (northeastern Iraq, near the Iranian border) being carried to the polls:

r845280205.jpg

This picture should win some kind of award for photography. It says more than a thousand words could say.

It makes you wonder how many Americans would have the guts to go vote if they were being threatened with beheading, suicide bombers etc. Heck, the US voting turnout is pale in comparison to what the Iraqi people have done.

Whether the Iraqis fan put together a Constitution and a real democratic government remanins to be seen, but I would say they have certainly stuck a finger in the eye of all the terrorists and the pundits to boot! For a bunch of folks who dont want us there and dont want democracy, etc., they sure sent a very loud and clear message.

CSM said:
It makes you wonder how many Americans would have the guts to go vote if they were being threatened with beheading, suicide bombers etc.

I certainly did wonder about that. Seeing those Iraqi going to the polls fearlessly made me wonder if I would have had the courage to do what they did if I had been in their shoes. I hate to admit it and it makes me greatly depressed to face it, but I think I probably would not have. But circumstances have a lot to do with it, too. On the morning of 9/11/01, I would gladly have attacked those terrorists with my fists, if that is all I had available. Maybe that is the feeling the Iraqis had yesterday. In any event, the Iraqis taught us all that FREEDOM IS NOT FREE in more ways than one.

It is an incredible triumph for the Iraqi people. There are many dangers, many tests, many hurdles to come, but often the first one is the hardest, and for them to overcome this first one is a hell of an achievement.

Let us hope and pray that all of our sacrifices to support them in this monumental endeavor do not go for naught in the coming months and years.

Congratulations to the Iraqis (especially the police forces and election monitors, who have been the targets of vicious attacks from Day One by the insurgent terrorists) and to our troops (and those of our allies) and the aid workers and contractors who have helped and continue to aid Iraq to rebuild and have a bright, promising future.

NATO AIR said:
It is an incredible triumph for the Iraqi people. There are many dangers, many tests, many hurdles to come, but often the first one is the hardest, and for them to overcome this first one is a hell of an achievement.

Let us hope and pray that all of our sacrifices to support them in this monumental endeavor do not go for naught in the coming months and years.

Congratulations to the Iraqis (especially the police forces and election monitors, who have been the targets of vicious attacks from Day One by the insurgent terrorists) and to our troops (and those of our allies) and the aid workers and contractors who have helped and continue to aid Iraq to rebuild and have a bright, promising future.
Hiya NATO. The Iraqis have a looong way to go, that is for sure, but at least they have a little momentum on their side now.

Kathianne said:
Nope, I'll still be impressed with the people. With the man that held up his voting receipt and said it was a bullet to the terrorists.

To the woman who held up her ink stained finger and said to the effect it was for the future of her country.

To the thousands of Iraqi voting monitors who showed up, when the UN was too afraid to send in monitors, in spite of being known targets of the terrorists.

Of the Iraqi military and police, who were the first and second line of defense, who kept all the suicide bombers outside of the polling places.

You are so right Kathianne ,
My heart soared for these people , it was such a joy to see them so excited to do what so many take for granted here . The families dressing in their best clothes to walk to the polls and take part .The story of the Kurdish woman that at 14 , having been married for 3 months , she lost her brother , father and husband to ethnic cleansing by that asswipe saddam. She said that she finally believes that saddam is gone .
It is just so incredible to see the smiles , it really puts the complaints about the wait at our polls into perspective . :beer:

Just to see happy people voting for freely for the first time in 50 so years is terrific. It's so obvious that all of us that love our freedom and our country also love to see others have what we we have, it makes us happy.

Did anyone catch the American soldiers danicing along with the Iraqi's?? It was really something to see that in that brief minute that soldier KNEW his sacrifices as well as those of all his commrades were worth it!!!

Forum List

Back