Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

It's not the presidents job to forgive overpayment debts

Actually, the president is the top of the military chain of command. This is something that very much is in his wheelhouse. He should have come out within a day of it coming to light suspending the collection of the money.

You're right..............Obama IS the CIC, and yeah, he DOES have control over the military, but it's not his job to get involved in the bureaucracy and the paperwork authorizing bonuses. The authorizing authority for bonuses when I was in the Navy came from SECNAV and SECDEF (Secretary of the Navy and Secretary of Defense). Since they are the the ones whose authority gave the bonuses, they are the ones who should forgive the debt.

And..............SECDEF has already suspended collections for the soldiers while they figure this out.

Not true. Many years ago I was going to College on the GI Bill and for some unknown reason they kept sending me checks all summer even though I was not attending the summer session. I deposited the checks in my savings account and drew interest until they caught their mistake. One day a government lawyer showed up at my house and presented me with the bill. I wrote him a check and he was absolutely amazed. He then sat for awhile and explained that I was the first one to pay him in the three years that he had been collecting for GI bill over payment. Most of the others that he talked to were put on a payment schedule of 5 or 10 dollars a month and that they usually made one or two payments and than quit making payments. It doesn't speak well for some of my fellow veterans, but Government did not insist on getting it all at once.
The difference is, you knew there was a mistake. In the case of these veterans it was simple. The veterans had separated. The government said "if you reenlist, we will pay you a bonus." The offer induced the reenlistment. There was no reason for the person to suspect an error.

Compounding that, the government tacked on interest back to the date the veteran got the money. That's over ten years of compounding interest.

This is wrong no matter how you cut it.
Never thought I'd ever see the day, I'd agree with you Topsy, but I agree. What's interesting in all this, the congress can fix this shit like yesterday and they're gone on vacation....so much for the vets...until election speeches are given, eh?

The Sec of Defense could fix this if the President would take time off from campaigning for Hillary long enough to give him the order to do so. It is the DOD that is collecting the money and they report to the Sec of Defense. Now, call me a racist since I blame the President for not doing his job.

It is the President's job as Commander in Chief of the armed forces to see that they are not fucked over by his Department of Defense.
they weren't

The difference is, you knew there was a mistake. In the case of these veterans it was simple. The veterans had separated. The government said "if you reenlist, we will pay you a bonus." The offer induced the reenlistment. There was no reason for the person to suspect an error.

Compounding that, the government tacked on interest back to the date the veteran got the money. That's over ten years of compounding interest.

This is wrong no matter how you cut it.
Never thought I'd ever see the day, I'd agree with you Topsy, but I agree. What's interesting in all this, the congress can fix this shit like yesterday and they're gone on vacation....so much for the vets...until election speeches are given, eh?

The Sec of Defense could fix this if the President would take time off from campaigning for Hillary long enough to give him the order to do so. It is the DOD that is collecting the money and they report to the Sec of Defense. Now, call me a racist since I blame the President for not doing his job.

It is the President's job as Commander in Chief of the armed forces to see that they are not fucked over by his Department of Defense.
they weren't

Of course they were.

Actually, the president is the top of the military chain of command. This is something that very much is in his wheelhouse. He should have come out within a day of it coming to light suspending the collection of the money.

You're right..............Obama IS the CIC, and yeah, he DOES have control over the military, but it's not his job to get involved in the bureaucracy and the paperwork authorizing bonuses. The authorizing authority for bonuses when I was in the Navy came from SECNAV and SECDEF (Secretary of the Navy and Secretary of Defense). Since they are the the ones whose authority gave the bonuses, they are the ones who should forgive the debt.

And..............SECDEF has already suspended collections for the soldiers while they figure this out.

Obama is the one that should have ordered the Sec of Defense to straighten this out as soon as he read about it in the newspaper. After all, he is the one with the pen and a phone.

Obama is the one that should have ordered the Sec of Defense to straighten this out as soon as he read about it in the newspaper. After all, he is the one with the pen and a phone.

Why should he order SECDEF to suspend the debts and straighten this out when he's already started doing it?

Besides.............another poster gave a link showing that Obama has already commented on this and directed action be taken to straighten it out.

Why should he order SECDEF to suspend the debts and straighten this out when he's already started doing it?

Besides.............another poster gave a link showing that Obama has already commented on this and directed action be taken to straighten it out.

Like I said, he read about it in the newspaper on his way to a campaign event for Hillary.

Like I said, he read about it in the newspaper on his way to a campaign event for Hillary.

Like I said, the SECDEF is already on this, so why should Obama order him to do something that he's already doing?

Coals to Newcastle dude. (Look up the reference if you're unfamiliar with it.)

Like I said, the SECDEF is already on this, so why should Obama order him to do something that he's already doing?

I will bet Valerie Jarrett told Obama about it so he could alert the SECDEF. She is always looking out for the GI's,

Now veterans are being told that even though they risked their asses by going into war zones in the ME, they are not eligible for the bonuses they were given and are being told they have to repay them. Many were given enlistment bonuses of 15,000 or more.

Pentagon Demands Return Of Cash Bonuses Paid To California Soldiers For Going To War A Decade Ago

Now, considering that most of our military live paycheck to paycheck because they don't get paid enough (an E-6 over 20 years of service only makes 36,000/yr), most of them will have a financial hardship in paying back the money.

I say let them keep the money, and let it go at that. They served in a war zone and risked their asses. They deserve the money for reenlisting and going back into a war zone.

Does anyone else find this reprehensible?
Absolutely. What do you bet the ruling came from the POTUS..(spitting at the thought.)

I'll bet. How much?

I will bet Valerie Jarrett told Obama about it so he could alert the SECDEF. She is always looking out for the GI's,

How much?

HEY YOU STUPID MORONS, CONGRESS CAN END THIS SHIT BUT THEY'RE NOT...SO STOP BLAMING EVERYBODY AND BLAME THAT DO NOTHING EFFIN CONGRESS YOU DUMB FUCKS VOTED IN......YOU PEOPLE ARE SUCH FUCKIN OBAMA HATERS AND WHINERS...GET A FUCKIN LIFE!!

If I was the President of the United States and I had to read about something like this in the morning newspapers, someone on my staff would be looking for work.

HEY YOU STUPID MORONS, CONGRESS CAN END THIS SHIT BUT THEY'RE NOT...SO STOP BLAMING EVERYBODY AND BLAME THAT DO NOTHING EFFIN CONGRESS YOU DUMB FUCKS VOTED IN......YOU PEOPLE ARE SUCH FUCKIN OBAMA HATERS AND WHINERS...GET A FUCKIN LIFE!!

Maybe you are not aware of this but the Congress is not currently in session. Should the president call a special session when he could just tell Secretary of Defense, who works for him to suspend collection.

Maybe you are not aware of this but the Congress is not currently in session. Should the president call a special session when he could just tell Secretary of Defense, who works for him to suspend collection.

Maybe you aren't aware of this, but the SECDEF is already on this and has been since Monday.

Again................why should Obama order the SECDEF to do something he's already doing?

Maybe you aren't aware of this, but the SECDEF is already on this and has been since Monday.

Again................why should Obama order the SECDEF to do something he's already doing?

Big woop, since Monday. How long has this been going on?

It just hit the airwaves on Thursday or Friday I think. I saw it on the news on the day I started this thread, which was Monday.

It just hit the airwaves on Thursday or Friday I think. I saw it on the news on the day I started this thread, which was Monday.

I didn't ask how long it has been in the news, I asked how long has it been going on.

Forum List

Back