Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

Now veterans are being told that even though they risked their asses by going into war zones in the ME, they are not eligible for the bonuses they were given and are being told they have to repay them. Many were given enlistment bonuses of 15,000 or more.

Pentagon Demands Return Of Cash Bonuses Paid To California Soldiers For Going To War A Decade Ago

Now, considering that most of our military live paycheck to paycheck because they don't get paid enough (an E-6 over 20 years of service only makes 36,000/yr), most of them will have a financial hardship in paying back the money.

I say let them keep the money, and let it go at that. They served in a war zone and risked their asses. They deserve the money for reenlisting and going back into a war zone.

Does anyone else find this reprehensible?

This is absolutely reprehensible. Solyndra defaults on $500M+ of loans (subsidies to well-heeled venture capitalists), and the Obama Administration has the gall to to to claw back bonuses accepted in good faith by military personnel who fulfilled their duties.

Un-frelling-believable. But So Typical of the Disdainful Elites.

I heard only the black soldiers have to pay the money back.:afro:
If that were true they wouldnt have made headlines. It was some white people whining about it.
It was a racist joke. You should appreciate it, you are one yourself.
Yes my reply was a racist joke. You must be a racist in order to have noticed it.

You can't beat 'em, join 'em. It seems to work for you.

Now veterans are being told that even though they risked their asses by going into war zones in the ME, they are not eligible for the bonuses they were given and are being told they have to repay them. Many were given enlistment bonuses of 15,000 or more.

Pentagon Demands Return Of Cash Bonuses Paid To California Soldiers For Going To War A Decade Ago

Now, considering that most of our military live paycheck to paycheck because they don't get paid enough (an E-6 over 20 years of service only makes 36,000/yr), most of them will have a financial hardship in paying back the money.

I say let them keep the money, and let it go at that. They served in a war zone and risked their asses. They deserve the money for reenlisting and going back into a war zone.

This is absolutely reprehensible. Solyndra defaults on $500M+ of loans (subsidies to well-heeled venture capitalists), and the Obama Administration has the gall to to to claw back bonuses accepted in good faith by military personnel who fulfilled their duties.

again, obama has nothing to do with this

The Pentagon doesn't report up to the President?

Who knew?

Who knew?
obama didn't hand out undeserved bonuses to those soldiers and he didn't write, pass, or sign the law requiring repayment.

it has nothing to do with obama.

now tell me, why do you support government fraud and abuse?

Who knew?
obama didn't hand out undeserved bonuses to those soldiers and he didn't write, pass, or sign the law requiring repayment.

You poor little hack.

Soldiers accepted bonuses in good faith and then performed their military service.

Obama's Pentagon is going after them years after the fact. Of all the waste and fraud in government, this is a fly speck. Hence, it's a game of squirrel in order to divert attention away from Obama's Corruption and Utter Fail of a Presidency.

Who knew?

You poor little hack.

Soldiers accepted bonuses in good faith and then performed their military service.

Obama's Pentagon is going after them years after the fact. Of all the waste and fraud in government, this is a fly speck. Hence, it's a game of squirrel in order to divert attention away from Obama's Corruption and Utter Fail of a Presidency.
so if I'm getting this right you support fraud when the right kind of people benefit.

if millions of dollars ended up on ebt cards fraudulently would you be okay with that?

You know, I hear a bunch of people on this thread bitching about the soldiers who got the bonuses and accusing them of fraud.

Got news for you................reenlistment bonuses are pretty hard to commit fraud with, at least in the Navy. I was a Personnelman for over 20 years, and reenlistments, as well as getting the servicemember all their bennies they are eligible for was part of my job.

Here's how a reenlistment worked for the time that I was in...................

A member decides that for whatever reason, they want to reenlist. First, they get a special request chit, and put on it "request permission to reenlist for "_" years in the U.S. Navy". That chit is submitted up the chain of command all the way to the CO, and if approved, the chit is sent to the CCC (Command Career Counselor).

The CCC then consults with the admin office to find out what they are eligible for. After checking the current instruction for reenlistment bonuses, if the person is eligible, the amount is calculated and the paperwork is prepared.

Disbursing then gets the paperwork, re-checks the math for the bonus amount, as well as the instruction to make sure they are eligible and a check is cut.

On the day of the reenlistment, the servicemember is sworn in, signs the new enlistment contract, and then, the bonus check is presented for 1/2 of the total reenlistment bonus, with the remainder divided up and paid on the anniversary date of the enlistment that qualified for the bonus.

No, not only does the Personnel office check it, but the Disbursing office checks it as well, and BOTH offices verify it against the current instruction that came down from SECNAV (Secretary of the Navy).

If they were paid bonuses in error, it's not the fault of the member (they were told they were eligible), nor is it the fault of the Personnel office that paid the bonus (they followed the eligibility guidelines in the instruction authorizing it, usually updated every fiscal year or so). It is the fault of the higher ups that authorized it in the first place.

And waiting over 10 years to find out you paid them in error is a bit long to wait. The statute of limitations on most debts is anywhere from 4 to 10 years (depending on state), and since it's been over 10, they should be given a waiver and get to keep the money.

You know, I hear a bunch of people on this thread bitching about the soldiers who got the bonuses and accusing them of fraud.

Got news for you................reenlistment bonuses are pretty hard to commit fraud with, at least in the Navy. I was a Personnelman for over 20 years, and reenlistments, as well as getting the servicemember all their bennies they are eligible for was part of my job.

Here's how a reenlistment worked for the time that I was in...................

A member decides that for whatever reason, they want to reenlist. First, they get a special request chit, and put on it "request permission to reenlist for "_" years in the U.S. Navy". That chit is submitted up the chain of command all the way to the CO, and if approved, the chit is sent to the CCC (Command Career Counselor).

The CCC then consults with the admin office to find out what they are eligible for. After checking the current instruction for reenlistment bonuses, if the person is eligible, the amount is calculated and the paperwork is prepared.

Disbursing then gets the paperwork, re-checks the math for the bonus amount, as well as the instruction to make sure they are eligible and a check is cut.

On the day of the reenlistment, the servicemember is sworn in, signs the new enlistment contract, and then, the bonus check is presented for 1/2 of the total reenlistment bonus, with the remainder divided up and paid on the anniversary date of the enlistment that qualified for the bonus.

No, not only does the Personnel office check it, but the Disbursing office checks it as well, and BOTH offices verify it against the current instruction that came down from SECNAV (Secretary of the Navy).

If they were paid bonuses in error, it's not the fault of the member (they were told they were eligible), nor is it the fault of the Personnel office that paid the bonus (they followed the eligibility guidelines in the instruction authorizing it, usually updated every fiscal year or so). It is the fault of the higher ups that authorized it in the first place.

And waiting over 10 years to find out you paid them in error is a bit long to wait. The statute of limitations on most debts is anywhere from 4 to 10 years (depending on state), and since it's been over 10, they should be given a waiver and get to keep the money.
super.

the soldiers weren't eligible for the bonuses they collected. they owe the money back.

Who knew?
Yes...I'm sure the President was consulted about this.....but, to be sure he knows now.

Who knew?
Yes...I'm sure the President was consulted about this.....but, to be sure he knows now.

Yes, I'm sure he's finding out about it right now by watching the news...just like how he "found out" that hiLIARy was using a private server when he used a fake name to send email to her.

Obama could snap off an executive order. He would if the vets were Muslim or illegal aliens.

Of all the people to fuck . . .

Disgusting!
I'm not sure anyone is getting screwed here.

seems like they didn't deserve the bonuses to begin with but someone at the state level was pushing them through fraudulently - screwing over everyone else
I bet they all knew they were not eligible for the bonuses and took it anyway. This is the national guard from what the link says.

"The Pentagon is seeking to recover decade-old reenlistment bonuses paid to thousands of California Army National Guard soldiers to go fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday."

I'm trying to figure out why dont they go after the state instead of the people? Of course the state is going to go after them then.

Maybe Congress will finally find something that they can agree on.

There is no way this should be allowed to stand.

Obama could snap off an executive order. He would if the vets were Muslim or illegal aliens.
why do you support fraud and abuse?

Of all the people to fuck . . .

Disgusting!
I'm not sure anyone is getting screwed here.

seems like they didn't deserve the bonuses to begin with but someone at the state level was pushing them through fraudulently - screwing over everyone else
I bet they all knew they were not eligible for the bonuses and took it anyway. This is the national guard from what the link says.

"The Pentagon is seeking to recover decade-old reenlistment bonuses paid to thousands of California Army National Guard soldiers to go fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday."

I'm trying to figure out why dont they go after the state instead of the people? Of course the state is going to go after them then.

Maybe Congress will finally find something that they can agree on.

There is no way this should be allowed to stand.
why? they were not entitled to the bonuses

Why do you ask stupid questions?

It's stupid to wonder why you support people keeping unearned payments from the federal government?

It's stupid to wonder why you support people keeping unearned payments from the federal government?

Like our politicians?

It's kinda obvious that you've never been in the military. People who are outside of the personnel office generally don't know what is what when it comes to their paperwork. They depend on the Personnelman to tell them what they are and aren't eligible for.

And..........the Personnelmen don't determine who gets a bonus or not, that is written in an instruction that comes out every fiscal year after Congress passes the military authorization budget. If it's in the instruction, then they are eligible, if not, then they aren't.

It's kinda obvious that you've never been in the military. People who are outside of the personnel office generally don't know what is what when it comes to their paperwork. They depend on the Personnelman to tell them what they are and aren't eligible for.

And..........the Personnelmen don't determine who gets a bonus or not, that is written in an instruction that comes out every fiscal year after Congress passes the military authorization budget. If it's in the instruction, then they are eligible, if not, then they aren't.

I don't care. It has been ten years. If Obama can send 770 million to rebuild mosques in the ME, he can forgive this debt.

Forum List

Back