Very cool reception for Obama at West Point.

It's funny. I was just thinking about who all gave the commencement addresses while I was there, and I can't even remember who my OWN class's speaker was (I was pretty hung over), but I really remember Admiral Tom Moorer, CJCS, giving the commencement address for the class of '69. In it he said, "at a lot of campuses around America these days, you see kids holding up signs saying Make Love, Not War... I want to remind all you members of the class of '69 that you are about to join a fraternity that does both" I'll NEVER forget it!:lol:

That's pretty funny.

God, I saw through some awful speeches in my time in the service. The worst had to be our pre-deployment speech delivered by the Governor of Hawaii, Linda Lingle. I have nothing against Lingle, she was just a terrible speaker (or gave a boring speech) (or maybe it was the fact that after the speech we were off for the day and all had plans to hit the beach, get drunk, and get laid (though not necessarily in that order)).

Either way. The best speech I heard was given by my Battalion Commander after a Battalion run in the rain. He said something like "That was hard, but we like it hard." The entire Battalion just started laughing. He was a good sport about it too. He was a good boss.

My favorite speech I heard was in North Island Ca. Adm. Boorda. (I know what happened to him and believe me, its sad) but he made a speech, was asked a question and said the following......I DONT KNOW, but I will find the answer and get back to you. Some Captain runs up to the podium and Adm Boorda wispered something in his ear.

This captain RUNS off the stage and runs to the front of the theater. A few minutes later, he runs back to the podium and whispers something to the Adm. The admiral stopped talking about whatever he was talking about and asked the guy who asked the question to stand up. He then gave the answer to the question and thanked that sailor because he said he learned something that day.

That impressed the hell out of me. (Besides that, I think mustangs make great officers...::cool: )

A four star who said "I dont know". I have never seen this before or after Adm. Boorda.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEvKKHWI2o]YouTube - Pr. Obama West Point (1) Military Academy Commencement Address[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAMbwcBupEY]YouTube - Pr. Obama West Point (2) Military Academy Commencement Address[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7lSD6GDZn4]YouTube - Pr. Obama West Point (3) Military Academy Commencement Address[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofeFNTjuDs]YouTube - Pr. Obama West Point (4) Military Academy Commencement Address[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7gvgm_xKCg]YouTube - Pr. Obama West Point (5) Military Academy Commencement Address[/ame]

My favorite speech I heard was in North Island Ca. Adm. Boorda. (I know what happened to him and believe me, its sad) but he made a speech, was asked a question and said the following......I DONT KNOW, but I will find the answer and get back to you. Some Captain runs up to the podium and Adm Boorda wispered something in his ear.

This captain RUNS off the stage and runs to the front of the theater. A few minutes later, he runs back to the podium and whispers something to the Adm. The admiral stopped talking about whatever he was talking about and asked the guy who asked the question to stand up. He then gave the answer to the question and thanked that sailor because he said he learned something that day.

That impressed the hell out of me. (Besides that, I think mustangs make great officers...::cool: )

A four star who said "I dont know". I have never seen this before or after Adm. Boorda.

A rare occurrence indeed.

BTW, I thought what Hackworth did to Boorda was disgraceful. Hackworth was always pissed that he didn't make General.

Then, not so ironically, Hackworth got busted for claiming he had a Ranger Tab when he never went through Ranger School. There was some gray area b/c Hackworth had completed an ad hoc "Ranger Course" the Army had set up in Viet Nam, but he wasn't authorized to wear the tab (and never did while in uniform). No one cared b/c Hackworth wasn't on active duty and he blamed his secretary for the matter.

This happened after he made a stink about the Boorda issue.

Here's wishing the cadets long and fruitful lives.

:)

and successful careers whether they are 5 year or 20 or 30 year guys/gals.
I know a guy that graduated last year...no idea what his politics are but I always keep my fingers crossed for him.

My experience, which is limited to the company and battalion level, is that most everyone is too busy being a soldier to give a fuck about politics.

Certainly among officers, it's considered poor form to be overtly political.

West Point graduation ceremony reveals how far out of touch Obama has become with the American people. Just watch the audience reactions to his attempts at getting applause....other than some canned applause from the cadets.....there was very little.

Since when is the military officer corps representative of the American public?

Considering that we have Volunteer Army, the values and characters of the officer corps is likely to be very congruent with those of the rest of the military.

West Point graduation ceremony reveals how far out of touch Obama has become with the American people. Just watch the audience reactions to his attempts at getting applause....other than some canned applause from the cadets.....there was very little.

Considering that we have Volunteer Army, the values and characters of the officer corps is likely to be very congruent with those of the rest of the military.

Whatever one might think of George W. Bush, the vast majority in the military loved him. Even at the very end, when his approval ratings were at their lowest, the response to his remarks was much different than what Obama got this morning. And the applause was obviously shortened by edit to get it all into the clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgLYLuDjlY]YouTube - President Bush speaks at West Point[/ame]

A rare occurrence indeed.

BTW, I thought what Hackworth did to Boorda was disgraceful. Hackworth was always pissed that he didn't make General.

Then, not so ironically, Hackworth got busted for claiming he had a Ranger Tab when he never went through Ranger School. There was some gray area b/c Hackworth had completed an ad hoc "Ranger Course" the Army had set up in Viet Nam, but he wasn't authorized to wear the tab (and never did while in uniform). No one cared b/c Hackworth wasn't on active duty and he blamed his secretary for the matter.

This happened after he made a stink about the Boorda issue.

Hypocrisy in its purest form.

no cadets - or midshipmen - are REQUIRED to applaud for any speaker at graduation. If cadets at west point applauded the president, they felt he deserved it.

Or, it just proves their parents raised them to have good manners and respect for the Office of the Presidency, regardless of who is President.

Whatever one might think of George W. Bush, the vast majority in the military loved him. Even at the very end, when his approval ratings were at their lowest, the response to his remarks was much different than what Obama got this morning. And the applause was obviously shortened by edit to get it all into the clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgLYLuDjlY]YouTube - President Bush speaks at West Point[/ame]

NO one I served with liked him. We followed the orders of the CIC, but that didnt mean we liked him. Well, non of my guys.

Forum List

Back