Very cool reception for Obama at West Point.

Osama's the biggest disgrace this country has ever produced. and the military know it.

Well, yeah. That's why they're in Afghanistan trying to dismantle his organization.

Oh... wait. You were talking about Obama. Got it. That's cute, in a stupid way, like when a dog farts in its sleep.

The military and liberals obviously have a differing sets of views...values if you will...is this what your saying Polk? If so...what's different?

and rdean....I will not comment on your lunatic rantings.

I just watched it in YouTube it seemed pretty cold to me.

So easy a caveman can do it. And I'm not even the OP.

I was referring to the "cool" audience part. I'm not questioning that he spoke at West Point.

Watch the full length video of the speech....I'm sure it's out there somewhere. They flash to the audience after an applause talking point and the audience looked like they were watching Italian opera.

Or watching their CINC talk to them about issues that will directly affect their lives, both the cadets/2LTs and cadre and parents.

What did you expect? The audience to start doing fist pumps and going "whoop! whoop!" a la the Arsenio Hall show?

The President addressing the military is a rather formal affair.

Since when is the military officer corps representative of the American public?

Wow...12 posts an the first excuse....anyway the audience filled the stands in the stadium. Hardly a representation of only officers since wives, mothers, brothers, sisters and others were present....in other words a broad cross section of Americans.

What excuse? I wouldn't expect a fawning response for Obama at a military event for the same reason I wouldn't have expected one for Bush on the campus of an elite university: the crowd is mostly composed of people of a different viewpoint.

I disagree with that too. The President addressing the military is a pretty formal affair and always has been.

Someone could make this post about Bush addressing the Service Academies.

The audience is certainly different, but not for the reasons you cited (IMO).

More succinctly, what reason would the rank and file of the military have to be disgruntled with President Obama at this point? He's basically deferred to Gates, Mullens, and Petraus on military matters.

I was referring to the "cool" audience part. I'm not questioning that he spoke at West Point.

Watch the full length video of the speech....I'm sure it's out there somewhere. They flash to the audience after an applause talking point and the audience looked like they were watching Italian opera.

Or watching their CINC talk to them about issues that will directly affect their lives, both the cadets/2LTs and cadre and parents.

What did you expect? The audience to start doing fist pumps and going "whoop! whoop!" a la the Arsenio Hall show?

The President addressing the military is a rather formal affair.

I guess you missed the part where the civilian audience was sitting stoically....we aren't discussing the cadets. If you watch the speech you'll see what I'm talking about.

There has been a lot of problems in the Military during the last few years. During the Bush Administration, the military became infected with right wing religious extremists. There have been lawsuits and accusations of harassment's and threats.

The Right Wing Republican administration infected everything. Deregulating business, deregulating environmental protections, the Justice system, the EPA, OSHA, foreign policy, two failed wars. It's no surprise they also damaged the military. Add all the right winger lies and smears, a cool reception is certainly no surprise.

That really just affects the Chaplain Corps, but a great read about his is "The New American Militarism" by Bacevich (thought this issue is not what the bulk of the book is about).

I remember our frigging Chaplain in Afghanistan refused to leave the wire and liked to rail on the dangers of American secular society. We were all like, "what the fuck"? At that point, I wasn't worried about wardrobe malfunctions. I was worried about getting my ass blown up. It got to be so bad that I started just doing bible study on my own. He wasn't telling me anything I couldn't get on my own.

The military tends to be conservative, but the officer corps is, above all things, professional.

West Point graduation ceremony reveals how far out of touch Obama has become with the American people. Just watch the audience reactions to his attempts at getting applause....other than some canned applause from the cadets.....there was very little.

Uhm. STFU.

President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama III, is Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of the United States of America.

He's not running for home coming queen.

Osama's the biggest disgrace this country has ever produced. and the military know it.

Link or are you talking out of your ass again? Honestly, I though you were shamed off these boards already? I must be mistaken.

you can't shame a mental defective who was drafted against his will and now plays the wounded vet. most guys like him that I know, were fuck ups before they ever were forced to serve.

I guess you missed the part where the civilian audience was sitting stoically....we aren't discussing the cadets. If you watch the speech you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have a feeling that this issue is going to delve on the subjective interpretation of "audience reaction".

Even among the audience, they are at the academy and the President is addressing their sons and daughters who will most likely be in combat (or not since we are drawing down in Iraq).

It's slightly stoic in nature. At any rate, I am not sure what it proves anyways. The "Gettysburg Address" was deemed to be a flop at the time. Now it is one of the most important speeches in our history.

Again, what reason would the military (or the parents) have to be upset with Obama?

West Point graduation ceremony reveals how far out of touch Obama has become with the American people. Just watch the audience reactions to his attempts at getting applause....other than some canned applause from the cadets.....there was very little.

Uhm. STFU.

President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama III, is Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces of the United States of America.

He's not running for home coming queen.

Uhm. No.

Barack Hussein Obama was giving a campaign speech with dramatic pauses for applause and didn't get shit. Sucks to be a Democrat...:lol:...aways pissed off, always pessimistic, always full of self loathing...why don't you go buy another self help book, a tub of Ben and Jerry's and put on another 20lbs or so....you'll feel so much better

Doesn't matter what you think Patek, at the end of the day, Barack Obama is the Commander in Chief.

Doesn't matter what you think Patek, at the end of the day, Barack Obama is the Commander in Chief.

No he's not. It's obvious that he is, in fact, the homecoming queen whose only value can be measured by the applause-o-meter. Duh!

Not for much longer....it all comes to an end....that's whats so good about our system of government....all we have to do is wait.

Yeah, that's how I felt about Bush.

Unfortunately, I had to deal with the fall out from the stupidity of the Bush Administration for my total time in service.

Not for much longer....it all comes to an end....that's whats so good about our system of government....all we have to do is wait.

Yeah, that's how I felt about Bush.

Unfortunately, I had to deal with the fall out from the stupidity of the Bush Administration for my total time in service.

Just as these newly minted 2nd Lt's will have to deal with the fallout of the stupidity of the Obama Administration for the next 10 years.

no cadets - or midshipmen - are REQUIRED to applaud for any speaker at graduation. If cadets at west point applauded the president, they felt he deserved it.

Forum List

Back