Vermont DID IT!

_39639881_breaking_news2_203.jpg

How sad that an idiot could be elected to Gov without even knowing the difference between healthcare and healthcare INSURANCE. Pretty sure Vermonters had a right to healthcare before this bill.

All they passed was a framework. they don't how they're going to pay for it, or the details for how it'll work. I haven't seen squat about whether they cover pre-existing conditions, whether there's a cap on benefits, how do those below the poverty line pay the co-pays.

It will cover pre-existing conditions, there is no cap on benefits and those below the poverty line already get subsidized (free) insurance in Vermont.

Wonder how long it'll be until they ask for a bailout. I will also predict an acute doctor shortage in that state. I think I read where some young medical people were going there to support the concept. Good on 'em, but I wonder how they'll pay off their student loans.

Wonder how long it'll be until they ask for a bailout. I will also predict an acute doctor shortage in that state. I think I read where some young medical people were going there to support the concept. Good on 'em, but I wonder how they'll pay off their student loans.

What makes you believe Doctors here will get paid less than doctors anywhere else?

What makes you believe Doctors here will get paid less than doctors anywhere else?

Cuz your doctors are going to less money for their services. Only way they can hold down costs is price controls.

Cuz your doctors are going to less money for their services. Only way they can hold down costs is price controls.
Perhaps the cost of health care has a lot to do with insurance executive salaries:

Health Insurance Company CEOs Total Compensation in 2008 : HEALTH REFORM WATCH
Ins. Co. & CEO With 2007 Total CEO Compensation
Aetna Ronald A. Williams: $23,045,834
Cigna H. Edward Hanway: $25,839,777
Coventry Dale B. Wolf : $14,869,823
Health Net Jay M. Gellert: $3,686,230
Humana Michael McCallister: $10,312,557
U.Health Grp Stephen J. Hemsley: $13,164,529
WellPoint Angela Braly (2007): $9,094,271
L. Glasscock (2006): $23,886,169
Ins. Co. & CEO With 2008 Total CEO Compensation
Aetna, Ronald A. Williams: $24,300,112
Cigna, H. Edward Hanway: $12,236,740
Coventry, Dale Wolf: $9,047,469
Health Net, Jay Gellert: $4,425,355
Humana, Michael McCallister: $4,764,309
U. Health Group, Stephen J. Hemsley: $3,241,042
Wellpoint, Angela Braly: $9,844,212
See Nonprofit Health Related CEO Compensation Here.
Update: “Why WellPoint’s Angela Braly Deserves A Raise”
Update: Health Insurance Company CEOs Total Compensation 2009

Today, Vermont will boast another first: the first state in the nation to offer single-payer health care, which eliminates the costly insurance companies that many believe are the root cause of our spiraling health care costs. In a single-payer system, both private and public health care providers are allowed to operate, as they always have. But instead of the patient or the patient’s private health insurance company paying the bill, the state does.

It’s basically Medicare for all — just lower the age of eligibility to the day you’re born. The state, buying these health care services for the entire population, can negotiate favorable rates, and can eliminate the massive overhead that the for-profit insurers impose.

Vermont hired Harvard economist William Hsiao to come up with three alternatives to the current system. The single-payer system, Hsiao wrote, “will produce savings of 24.3 percent of total health expenditure between 2015 and 2024.”

Single-Payer in Vermont, A State of Healthy Firsts | Common Dreams

Perhaps the cost of health care has a lot to do with insurance executive salaries:

And perhaps it doesn't. Look, I think they're overpaid too, but it ain't even close to a reason why the cost of health care is rising so fast. You do realize if you want top talent to run a corporation of this size, you have to pay big bucks, right?

And perhaps it doesn't. Look, I think they're overpaid too, but it ain't even close to a reason why the cost of health care is rising so fast. You do realize if you want top talent to run a corporation of this size, you have to pay big bucks, right?

I can remember when top CEOs made a few hundred thousand a year. Are they that much better now?

I can remember when top CEOs made a few hundred thousand a year. Are they that much better now?

I'd say the job is a lot harder and more complex than it used to be, but no, not that much IMHO. But it's also relative to the market, what does it take to get a CEO that can do a good job? To me it's iike paying Peyton Manning or Tom Brady to be your QB, if you want to win you better have a top guy at the helm.

heres your problem rigthies.

These systems do work and they have worked better than the system we have now in this country.

The facts are that the US spends more than anyone and gets a much lower level of care than other countries who have single payer.

Its not a matter of IF it will work better , It will and has proven over and over again to work better.

Bullshit. This is what is going to make our level of care decrease. Peddle that shit elsewhere.

Peddle your bullshit elsewhere, Jack.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVgOl3cETb4]YouTube - ‪"We're Number 37" - Paul Hipp‬‏[/ame]

Congratulations Vermont! You're going to be exporting working Americans and importing welfare seekers. Don't expect the rest of America to bail you out when you start to reap the consequences of this kind of fiscal irresponsibility.

I'm sure they thought the same thing, in Canada, until they found-out how well it worked....

LOL! Pretty good. They have a higher life expectency and a lower mortality rate than we do, using less money and resources.​

It is the liberal states that are supporting the conservative states.

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed
Monday, September 27, 2004

The Tax Foundation has released a fascinating report showing which states benefit from federal tax and spending policies, and which states foot the bill.

Now if you 'Conservatives' would just stop swilling the suds long enough to pass a sobriety test for employment, get out of your single wide, and quit sucking off the federal government's tit, maybe we could work on the deficit.

What part of Vt. do you live in??

I lived in Norhtern NH for 20+ years. Did a lot of horse showing at the Lyndonville Fair.

Sure mis NE in the Fall especially the County Fairs.

Did you move there to avoid paying state income taxes?

Nope.

My Dad was born in NH and we spent summers there when he was in the Military. NH is one of the few States in the Union with no State income tax and no State sales tax. The State also owns all the liquor stores.

When he retired we moved to Florida. Also has no State income tax.

I also lived for 10yrs on NC. That state has just about every tax you can think of.

Currently reside back in Florida.

In Vt essentially those that are working will be paying the costs for everyone else. I can see where that can create a problem down the road.

However, I see it as a States right. As long as the citizens of Vt. endorse it then the rest of us will just have to sit back and watch to see how it goes.

In Vt essentially those that are working will be paying the costs for everyone else.

That is the way it is everywhere. It is just with single payer it will be less money.

Also with this burden taken off employers there will be fewer people not working.

Forum List

Back