Vegans! What do you think of them?

veganme, have you considered becoming a Jainist?
Go big or go home!!
Jains are vegetarians. They avoid eating root vegetables in general, as cutting root from a plant kills it unlike other parts of the plant (leaf, fruit, seed, etc.). Furthermore, according to Jain texts, root vegetables contain infinite microorganisms called nigodas. Followers of Jain dharma eat before the night falls. They filter water regularly so as to remove any small insects that may be present and boil water prior to consumption.

I guess they boil the water to make soup of the remaining insects, diatoms, and microorganisms?

veganme, have you considered becoming a Jainist?
Go big or go home!!
Jains are vegetarians. They avoid eating root vegetables in general, as cutting root from a plant kills it unlike other parts of the plant (leaf, fruit, seed, etc.). Furthermore, according to Jain texts, root vegetables contain infinite microorganisms called nigodas. Followers of Jain dharma eat before the night falls. They filter water regularly so as to remove any small insects that may be present and boil water prior to consumption.

I guess they boil the water to make soup of the remaining insects, diatoms, and microorganisms?

They filter the water first to remove all the "innocent" nigodas. :lol:

From what I have heard, the lack of meat in their diet turns Vegans into sex starved nymphomaniacs.

Vegans have an insatiable desire for sex and are only interested in one piece of meat

What do I think of vegans? Absolutely nothing. Who cares about a bunch of pansies that won't eat cheese?

@ California - I am a vegan because I don't want to support (with my dollar) the meat and dairy industries, which are known for treating their animals very cruelly and inhumanely. I also don't want anything to have to die for me to eat it. I can eat other things. :)

You do know that other lifeforms still die in order for you to eat.

Lifeforms such as plants, fungi(Oh--I love mushrooms, by the way) and certain micro-organisms as well.

Also, add in the fact that many nuts and fruits are the immature forms of plants, and you are literally stealing the food from, or eating, the babies of other living things!!

Tell me--is it because the other stuff can't scream is the reason you don't think about their lives? Cows can scream and communicate pain--but the Banana just sit while its skin is peeled back and its innards torn to bits. Is that really considered ok?

By the way--there are only a few living things that can consume with out the need to kill another lifeform. We humans are naturally not one of those lifeforms.

If you have ever watched undercover footage of the industry "standard" (which is animal torture) at factory farms, you might wish to reconsider the "other life forms have to die so you can eat" position. Let me tell you, it is BRUTAL.

Plants have no nervous system, they cannot feel pain. They have no brain, they cannot think or feel anything. So no, I don't feel guilty about eating a plant's fruit because it is not alive in the same way flesh/blood creatures are.

Here's some food for thought: Like veganme, I have some major objections about how big agri deals with their "product". The crap they are fed to fatten them, the fact that massive amounts of antibiotics are pumped into the animals to offset the health issues resulting from extremely poor husbandry, the nutritionally substandard product they ship to market as food fit for human consumption, all of that appalls me and has inspired me to find alternatives to supermarket filler (it isn't really food). Instead of eschewing consumption of all meat products, I have instead begun raising and processing my own food, to the greatest extent possible. It's interesting to see what choices are made to deal with the same problem.

Here's some food for thought: Like veganme, I have some major objections about how big agri deals with their "product". The crap they are fed to fatten them, the fact that massive amounts of antibiotics are pumped into the animals to offset the health issues resulting from extremely poor husbandry, the nutritionally substandard product they ship to market as food fit for human consumption, all of that appalls me and has inspired me to find alternatives to supermarket filler (it isn't really food). Instead of eschewing consumption of all meat products, I have instead begun raising and processing my own food, to the greatest extent possible. It's interesting to see what choices are made to deal with the same problem.
I agree that we need to be more aware of "factory" food. We really do become what we eat to some extent. Personally, I buy farm fresh fruits and veggies twice a week at the local farmer's market. I have pretty much given up on beef - I buy grass fed bison instead. My chicken (and eggs) comes from a local chicken farm where the chickens actually walk around. I spend more money than most people do on food, but I think it's worth it.

^Thanks for appreciating that we save animal lives, Magicbaby :) At the very least, we don't contribute to their long-term suffering or mistreatment (by not buying meat or dairy products, or leather/silk etc).

But vegans don't just eat vegetables. We have as many normal food options as anyone else. They make a ton of vegan options (even pizza and mac and cheese with soy cheese). We can have cereal, bread, rice milk, beans, pasta, desserts, snacks and mostly anything that doesn't have animal products in it.

So, fruits and veggies are optional in the vegan diet. :)

^Children have growing bodies and have very specific dietary needs in order to keep growing and stay healthy. I think the child should always be given the choice and never forced into a certain way of eating against their will (not referring to "eating their veggies of course").

If a child is interested in becoming vegan, I think it is 110% the responsibility of that child's parent(s) to research like crazy about everything vegan-related. If the child's dietary needs can 100% be met with vegan food, and the child wants to eat this way, I don't see why it's a problem.

But again, I stress that it is IMPERATIVE for the parent(s) to know what they are doing beforehand so the child doesn't become malnourished in any way. They might also want to consult with a doctor and work out a step-by-step eating plan in order for the child to obtain maximum health and continued growth on a vegan diet.

The key with any diet (vegan included) is knowledge. Know your facts, then put them into action if you think the diet is one you wish to try.

Last edited:

From what I have heard, the lack of meat in their diet turns Vegans into sex starved nymphomaniacs.

Vegans have an insatiable desire for sex and are only interested in one piece of meat

That might be true if it weren't for lesbian vegans.

Cucumbers?

I can see how that might qualify as a meat substitute, but not as meat.

But I'd be interested in seeing how it works, perhaps.

I agree that we need to be more aware of "factory" food. We really do become what we eat to some extent. Personally, I buy farm fresh fruits and veggies twice a week at the local farmer's market. I have pretty much given up on beef - I buy grass fed bison instead. My chicken (and eggs) comes from a local chicken farm where the chickens actually walk around. I spend more money than most people do on food, but I think it's worth it.

I am really looking forward to getting my big place up and running. (The small place I'm using now is pretty limited, 200 acres will make a big difference.) I plan on marketing grass-fed beef. I know of several small producers up here who pay their annual mortgage selling grass-fed beef to people who are willing to put a down payment on a half or whole animal. Of course, lots of people will do their own butchering up here because so many hunt, too. I'm actually researching raising yaks, but am not certain how big the market for such meat might be. Yaks are easier to raise than bison and they can also be used for milk and fiber production as well as for meat. They also make some pretty handy pack animals. I like the multipurpose aspect of such an animal.
I'll eat almost no store-bought chicken or eggs. Again, I have to wait until I get the big place up and running. If you've had fresh chicken or eggs from a small holder, especially those who eat what they produce, you won't go back to store bought unless forced to.

^Thanks for appreciating that we save animal lives, Magicbaby :) At the very least, we don't contribute to their long-term suffering or mistreatment (by not buying meat or dairy products, or leather/silk etc).

But vegans don't just eat vegetables. We have as many normal food options as anyone else. They make a ton of vegan options (even pizza and mac and cheese with soy cheese). We can have cereal, bread, rice milk, beans, pasta, desserts, snacks and mostly anything that doesn't have animal products in it.

So, fruits and veggies are optional in the vegan diet. :)

Want a recipe for nettle pesto? Ooops! I forgot, I use Parmesan cheese, but you could probably find some substitute.

Vegans take life too seriously. It's not that hard......honest

I am really looking forward to getting my big place up and running. (The small place I'm using now is pretty limited, 200 acres will make a big difference.) I plan on marketing grass-fed beef. I know of several small producers up here who pay their annual mortgage selling grass-fed beef to people who are willing to put a down payment on a half or whole animal. Of course, lots of people will do their own butchering up here because so many hunt, too. I'm actually researching raising yaks, but am not certain how big the market for such meat might be. Yaks are easier to raise than bison and they can also be used for milk and fiber production as well as for meat. They also make some pretty handy pack animals. I like the multipurpose aspect of such an animal.
I'll eat almost no store-bought chicken or eggs. Again, I have to wait until I get the big place up and running. If you've had fresh chicken or eggs from a small holder, especially those who eat what they produce, you won't go back to store bought unless forced to.

Yak? Sounds very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find some Yak meat to sample! I will tell you that I have developed a real taste for Wild boar. My wife makes a bolognese sauce using ground wild boar....yum! Maybe you could buy a few males and females, and let nature do the rest.....:lol:

EDIT- found this guy in Vermont who will ship grass fed Yak. http://www.vermontyak.com/index.php
The Vermont Yak Company sells organic Yak meat. You purchase a $100 share of meat online, by mail or phone. I purchased using Paypal, Then you pick the freshly frozen meat up at their farm in Waitsfield VT or they will ship the frozen meat to you via UPS. I picked up my one 10 lb share of meat today. 4 lbs of ground Yak, 1 T-Bone Steak, and the rest in three flavors of sausage. I can't wait to get this meat on the grill very soon. One of the Owner operators that I delt with was Rob, very pleasant and very accommodating. I will be doing business with them again. The cost works out to $10 per pound, not cheap but what are you willing to pay for high quality grass fed organic high protein meat? You get what you pay for.
Also, there is a restaurant nearby in Venice that has a number of dishes with fresh Yak....I am going to check it out! I's gonna get me some YAK!!!

Last edited:
no-such-thing-as-vegan.jpg

Yak? Sounds very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find some Yak meat to sample! I will tell you that I have developed a real taste for Wild boar. My wife makes a bolognese sauce using ground wild boar....yum! Maybe you could buy a few males and females, and let nature do the rest.....:lol:

EDIT- found this guy in Vermont who will ship grass fed Yak. Vermont Yak
The Vermont Yak Company sells organic Yak meat. You purchase a $100 share of meat online, by mail or phone. I purchased using Paypal, Then you pick the freshly frozen meat up at their farm in Waitsfield VT or they will ship the frozen meat to you via UPS. I picked up my one 10 lb share of meat today. 4 lbs of ground Yak, 1 T-Bone Steak, and the rest in three flavors of sausage. I can't wait to get this meat on the grill very soon. One of the Owner operators that I delt with was Rob, very pleasant and very accommodating. I will be doing business with them again. The cost works out to $10 per pound, not cheap but what are you willing to pay for high quality grass fed organic high protein meat? You get what you pay for.
Also, there is a restaurant nearby in Venice that has a number of dishes with fresh Yak....I am going to check it out! I's gonna get me some YAK!!!

I'd be pleased if you let me know your opinion of yak. The folks up here who sell it swear by it, but then, I would too if I were trying to sell it!:wink_2:

Forum List

Back