Utah wants to lower BAC for drunk driving to .05

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Drunk drivers are killers and maimers - let's stop coddling them. And go after speeders and text-drivers and red light runners too. Lock 'em up!!

Utah may lower the legal alcohol limit to .05% -- a first in the nation

jan 1 2017 If a tough new proposal in Utah becomes law, just a few drinks — or even a few swigs — could put you over the limit for drunk driving.

An effort is underway in the state to lower the legal blood-alcohol concentration for driving to .05 — a first in the nation. Currently, all 50 states have a .08 cap, eschewing suggestions from the National Transportation Safety Board to redefine what constitutes drunk driving.

But state Rep. Norman Thurston, a Republican from Provo who plans to introduce a bill on the issue in the upcoming legislative session, wants that to change in 2017.

“Impairment starts with the first drink, and we want to establish this state as one where you just simply do not drink and drive,” said Thurston, noting he worked with officials from the Utah Highway Patrol while drafting the legislation. “This is all about safety.”

If Utah makes the change, it will join several countries in Europe — such as Austria, France and Germany — that have blood-alcohol limits of .05. (In Poland, it’s .02).

“Why not focus on reducing the speed limit, or limiting texting while driving?” said Connor Boyack, president of the libertarian-leaning Libertas Institute, located outside Salt Lake City. “Those are real factors in causing traffic deaths.… This would just criminalize people not causing any problems.”

• Banned
This won't do much good unless the penalties for DUI are increased. It should be an automatic felony with mandatory loss of license for at least 3 years. Do the same with text-drivers.

• Banned
Well, we do want less government, right?

Hey einstein. Stopping people from injuring others is the fundamental function of govt. Getting DUIs off the road is a perfect example of what govt should do. THINK, america-hater.

I say lock up all drunk drivers - guilty or innocent,.

So you want to lock up people who are innocent? You some kinda retard?

Goddammit. I don't care what KIND of drunk driver you are. They're all bad.

If you're innocent you're not driving drunk ya chucklehead.
Don't gimme that crap. We need to punish all drunk drivers - guilty or innocent. THINK

I suppose they could start by removing the parking lots near every nightclub and honky-tonk. Eliminate all "drive-thru" Liquor stores. Install a blower at the gate to leave? In the olden days............you know.

0.05%? That is about 1 beer for a 90 lb woman. I don't know.....? Lysterine reads about 0.05% all by itself?

Don't gimme that crap. We need to punish all drunk drivers - guilty or innocent. THINK

If you're innocent wouldnt that indicate they weren't driving under the influence?
And you're telling me to THINK.......:wtf:

giphy.gif

Drunk drivers are killers and maimers - let's stop coddling them. And go after speeders and text-drivers and red light runners too. Lock 'em up!!

Utah may lower the legal alcohol limit to .05% -- a first in the nation

jan 1 2017 If a tough new proposal in Utah becomes law, just a few drinks — or even a few swigs — could put you over the limit for drunk driving.

An effort is underway in the state to lower the legal blood-alcohol concentration for driving to .05 — a first in the nation. Currently, all 50 states have a .08 cap, eschewing suggestions from the National Transportation Safety Board to redefine what constitutes drunk driving.

But state Rep. Norman Thurston, a Republican from Provo who plans to introduce a bill on the issue in the upcoming legislative session, wants that to change in 2017.

“Impairment starts with the first drink, and we want to establish this state as one where you just simply do not drink and drive,” said Thurston, noting he worked with officials from the Utah Highway Patrol while drafting the legislation. “This is all about safety.”

If Utah makes the change, it will join several countries in Europe — such as Austria, France and Germany — that have blood-alcohol limits of .05. (In Poland, it’s .02).

“Why not focus on reducing the speed limit, or limiting texting while driving?” said Connor Boyack, president of the libertarian-leaning Libertas Institute, located outside Salt Lake City. “Those are real factors in causing traffic deaths.… This would just criminalize people not causing any problems.”
It is a States' right.

A lot of people who want to drive try to limit their drinking so they can stay underneath the .08 limit. A lot of those people with the lower limit will say forget it and drink more because it won't matter since they will be over the limit either way causing a more dangerous situation.

I suppose they could start by removing the parking lots near every nightclub and honky-tonk. Eliminate all "drive-thru" Liquor stores. Install a blower at the gate to leave? In the olden days............you know.

0.05%? That is about 1 beer for a 90 lb woman. I don't know.....? Lysterine reads about 0.05% all by itself?

Why not just make the penalties more severe?. Automatic felony, loss of license for 3 years or more, $5,000 fine, and maybe a week in jail.

Do the same with text drivers and extreme speeders.

Forum List

Back