Utah Democrats Deepen Trade Deficit

Nate Peele

May 25, 2008
A lot of economists believe our trade deficit is one of the biggest problems facing our country. Experts worry that every year, Americans import more good from other countries than we export to them. Evidently, one group that doesn’t worry about this deficit is the Democrats.

Utah-based EnergySolutions wants to import 20,000 tons of low-level nuclear waste from Italy, bringing 1,600 tons of waste to its facility 80 miles west of Salt Lake City.

Utah’s Democratic Rep, Jim Matheson is pushing legislation to block the proposal. He is one of 10 co-sponsors on the bill, from Rep. Bart Gordon, D-Tenn. But none of the Republicans — senators Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett and representatives Rob Bishop and Chris Cannon — said they backed the legislation when asked by The Salt Lake Tribune.

I want you to keep in mind that this is low-level nuclear waste and not the dangerous stuff. a spokesman for Rob Bishop a Republican congressman and former lobbyist for Energy Solutions said, “Rob is a strong proponent of states’ rights, and always has been, so I think he’s hesitant on any issue - be it education or land use or waste - to tell the state what it can or can’t do.”

Since we no longer manufacture things, if we want to fight the deficit we need to do stuff like this. Unless the slogan on Lady Liberty are just words. Will we reject this wretched refuse?

Because corporatists take such good care of people... abide by OSHA regs and don't ever price gouge, right?

That's not even based in rational thought.

That's what OSHA is there for. I think the deficit is an important issue and it is great to see an enterprising company help buy burying Italy's nuclear waste in Utah. The government shouldn't get involved in such things.

A lot of economists believe our trade deficit is one of the biggest problems facing our country. Experts worry that every year, Americans import more good from other countries than we export to them. Evidently, one group that doesn’t worry about this deficit is the Democrats.

Utah-based EnergySolutions wants to import 20,000 tons of low-level nuclear waste from Italy, bringing 1,600 tons of waste to its facility 80 miles west of Salt Lake City.

Utah’s Democratic Rep, Jim Matheson is pushing legislation to block the proposal. He is one of 10 co-sponsors on the bill, from Rep. Bart Gordon, D-Tenn. But none of the Republicans — senators Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett and representatives Rob Bishop and Chris Cannon — said they backed the legislation when asked by The Salt Lake Tribune.

I want you to keep in mind that this is low-level nuclear waste and not the dangerous stuff. a spokesman for Rob Bishop a Republican congressman and former lobbyist for Energy Solutions said, “Rob is a strong proponent of states’ rights, and always has been, so I think he’s hesitant on any issue - be it education or land use or waste - to tell the state what it can or can’t do.”

Since we no longer manufacture things, if we want to fight the deficit we need to do stuff like this. Unless the slogan on Lady Liberty are just words. Will we reject this wretched refuse?

If you are so worried about the US importing more than we export, why do you want to import more stuff? Like nuclear waste? :rofl:

Well done, Nate.

That's what OSHA is there for. I think the deficit is an important issue and it is great to see an enterprising company help buy burying Italy's nuclear waste in Utah. The government shouldn't get involved in such things.

I believe you are a troll. duh...

If you are so worried about the US importing more than we export, why do you want to import more stuff? Like nuclear waste? :rofl:

Well done, Nate.

Obviously, they're paying us to process the waste. Don't think of it as importing waste, what we're doing is exporting a service even if we are doing it on American soil.

Forum List

Back