USS Liberty veterans demand congressional investigation

Discussion in 'Military' started by TheStripey1, Jun 6, 2007.

1. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    very strange... Does anyone have any information on this?

2. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    cmon gents and ladies... this was under a democratic president... surely you can dig up some dirt on this...

Do you think, as I do, that this incident has anything to do with Johnson not seeking a second term as president?

Do you think it is ok that the government has covered this incident up for decades?

Do you think the survivors are due an explanation?

How about the public?

3. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    http://www.ussliberty.org/
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=uss+liberty

Both parties are terrified of the Israel lobby, and few americans under the age of 50 probably even know of it, or if they know if it they don't know the controversy around it. I hadn't even heard of it until this year. So no, I don't think there will be any sort of hearings on it. The fact that such a long list of credible opinions have been ignored is amazing. This isn't just a bunch of tinfoil kooks with blurry photos like other conspiracy theories, but people still have a kneejerk reaction of "lol, conspiracy".

4. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,786

Wouldn't had mattered if it was Dimocrat or Repubs in power. The truth about Israel in this matter can never be revealed, because if it was Americans would be furious. The continuation of billions of U.S. tax dollars being funneled to Israel trumps all other concerns. Are any of the so called patriots here willing to push for a congressional investigation for this? Will any of you be willing to concede that Israel did this purposefully with the intent to draw America into fighting a war for them?

5. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23

Well hawk... Like the baron, I only learned of this incident this year...
    But in order for people to call their reps and demand an explanantion, they would first need to know that it happened...

So when I saw this article about the USS Liberty's crew, I posted it. Seems that it hasn't garnered too much attention here or anywhere el;se i posted it and I just don't know why... maybe it's because it's an old story and/or maybe because there isn't that much information on the web about it... I just don't know...

Back in '67, johnson a democrat, was the president... I wasn't interested in politics then, so I couldn't even begin to tell you how well the rePERVlicans were doing in congress...

Have you called your reps yet and asked for an explanation or an investigation?

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,786
    I've written my Rep, Lamar Smith, what is going on with this. I'm waiting for the response.

7. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Let us know if he replies and what he says and I'll do the same if mine do...

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm with Baron. Ain't gonna happen. The mideast is gonna blow again soon anyway.

9. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Everyone should at least take a look at the following link: http://www.nsa.gov/liberty/

There are certain people who will embrace any conspiracy and claim they're just being "open-minded" (this does not only occur with the USS Liberty, it happens all the time) but dismiss any possibility of the official story being the correct story. This is not being open-minded.

If you're intellectually honest, you will read the information at the NSA website and entertain the possibility that the Israelis may in fact have been telling the truth.

I have no doubt that some will dismiss the NSA link on the grounds that the Israelis control our government and were therefore able to force the NSA to host that material on its website.

As for me - I honestly believe that the attack on the USS Liberty was a case of mistaken identity.

Obviously "Whoops! Tee hee, sorry about that, thought you guys were Egyptians!" doesn't cut it. Not by a long shot.

I don't buy the theory that the crew of the USS Liberty had found out about the imminent Golan Heights invasion, and the Israelis wanted to eliminate them (along with their newly-acquired intel).

If Israelis truly are conniving, crafty backstabbers who have managed to hijack the American government, they'd probably also be able to sink a defenseless spy ship if they truly set their minds to it.

The fact that the USS Liberty wasn't totally destroyed is what leads me to conclude that it was a mistake.

One theory I've heard - Johnson/McNamara gave the Israelis permission to attack the USS Liberty and make it look as though the Egyptians did it, which would in turn give the US a pretext to invade Egypt.

Another theory: Egyptian UAR soldiers surrendered to Israeli paratroopers. The Israelis slaughtered them in spite of the fact that they had laid down their arms. The UAR soldiers managed to send out a radio message before they were murdered. The Israelis who killed the Egyptians were notified that the USS Liberty was in close proximity and may have either seen what had happened or picked up the radio transmission. Fearing what might happen w.r.t. American public support, someone high up in the IDF ordered the attack on the USS Liberty.

For the sake of the argument, let's pretend that there was no conspiracy involving Johnson and McNamara, and that Yitzhak Rabin and Moshe Dayan gave the orders to attack an American ship...

What exactly did Isreal stand to gain by attacking its most powerful ally?

And even if the US hadn't been Israel's ally - how dumb would it have been for them to preemptively attack one of the world's two hyperpowers, when the world's other hyperpower (the USSR) had already aligned itself with Israel's enemies?

For the record - I am NOT trying to apologize for what Israel did. I'm an American and not an Israeli (I am, however, a contrarian by nature and from time to time play the token Zionist around here); knowing that Israel killed 34 of my countrymen, whether accidentally or on purpose, makes me sick to my stomach. But - Israel was at war with 3 countries whose manpower and resources far exceeded its own, and I can understand how a situation like that might be conducive to a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality.

That said, I would support an(other) investigation.

10. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    are you talking about the sinking of a ship in the 60's by the Israeli's?

oh, and every cover up by the u.s. government, that goes both way, should be investigated, but not used to bash u.s., simply to learn from our mistakes.