D Day anniversary

Discussion in 'Military' started by red states rule, Jun 6, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Today, the US lead the invasion of Europe that would finally defeat Hitler ten moths later

God bless them. What the troops went though on those beaches is truely amazing

Pentagon Chief Honors D-Day Troops

By ROBERT BURNS
    AP Military Writer

COLLEVILLE-SUR-MER, France (AP) -- Above a cliff of silent reminders, Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Wednesday evoked the image of fallen warriors to mark the 63rd anniversary of the Normandy D-Day landings that turned the tide of World War II.

The bloody beach assault on June 6, 1944 "unfolded as if it were a lifetime" for the young men who braved German guns, Gates said, looking out upon a vast field of white grave markers on a rainy, chilly day.

Gates attended the anniversary ceremony and dedication Wednesday of a visitor's center at the Normandy American Cemetery, the burial ground for 9,387 war dead, most of whom lost their lives in the amphibious assault and subsequent operations.

In remarks at the midday ceremony, Gates said U.S. and allied soldiers landed at Normandy to destroy entrenched forces of oppression "so that this nation, this continent and this world could one day know the tidings of peace."

He tied the memory of Normandy to the challenge of today's war on terrorism.

"We once again face enemies seeking to destroy our way of life, and we are once again engaged in an ideological struggle that may not find resolution for many years or even decades," he said.

Speaking before Gates was Walter Ehlers, a Medal of Honor recipient who landed at Omaha Beach as a young Army staff sergeant - an experience he recalled in vivid detail.

http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/G/GATES_D_DAY_REMEMBRANCE?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME

2. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I spoke to my great uncle about D-day and we sat and talked about details of those days for like 4 hours one day and then the next day we talked about the days after D-day and it was quite a history lesson. I really think because I had many years in the service I could clearly understand where he was coming from. My great uncle went to France several years ago to receive the metal of Honor for his efforts from that campaign.

3. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    My dad was part of the first wave on D Day - he did not want to talka about it

Like most of those heros, he kept alot of his memories inside.

Looking at those open beachs, the high cliffs, the wall, and all the machine guns - what those men did on that day is incredible

4. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The only reason Uncle Joe talked about it was it was at the viewing of his oldest sister who was 98 and the year before he lost is other older sister 97. He told me he never had really talked about the details because of the events that happened. He was 29 years old when he landed on Normandy. He was looked up to by many of the higher ranking troops who were so much younger. He said he'd pick up another gun when he'd walk by a dead soldier. Kind of saving his round until he needed them. It was a very sobering story when he detailed it and honestly knowing a survivor was even more incredible.

5. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The men who lived through it lost alot of friends that day. My dad was a Sgt and he did say he lost alot of his men and he carried those memories with him until the day he passed away

6. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I guess the wildest part of the stories was when Joe said if you didn't go up that hill the Sgt in the rear would get ya and if you went up the hill the Germans go ya. Ouch that is a real deal that very few of us will ever experience again in any type of war. I know I won't my days of being a devil dog are over I'm in the rear with the gear.

7. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    How true. The men in charge would keep the troops moving no matter what was happeneing

8. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Joe was a radioman when he wasn’t fighting, so he rode with the 1st Lt. in the jeep. So when he's see a dead RM he'd grab his radio and cannibalize it and use the up radios for trading things from other units. Supplies were hard to come by but he made things happen. He said he like the Army and how it worked but once his time was up he knew he could make more money in the world. He told me the story of seeing General Patton directing traffic at the cross point. He said it was real muddy and trucks were stuck and things go messed up. He said Patton was a hardass but he was able to get things done and the troops respected him for that. Actually I haven't seen Joe in a while I wanted to hear some more stories before he moves on. I am so damn busy with work, school and volunteer work that I forget how fast times flies

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Things like that were common among the troops

Much like what happened in the Pacific with the island hoping the Marines had to go through

10. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    God bless those guys.

I'll be watching "The Longest Day" this evening and smoking a cigar if anyone wants to cruise over. Plenty of beer in the fridge and plenty of cigars in the humidor.