USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today is the first day of the World Figure Skating Championships in Sweden. Normally, my "Toronto Friends" would all get together at Larry's condo in downtown Toronto, and have a "Not Going to Worlds" Party, where we would spend the day watching skating, drinking smart cocktails, and eating. The entire coffee table is covered in food. There's veggies and dip, a fruit tray, the Eastern European expatriot starter kit (cold meat, cheese and crackers), sushi, guacamole, chips, and then later on, we order in dinner. There's red and white wine, as well as vodka cocktails.

Larry lives in a VERY expensive building a 5 minute walk from the St. Clair Subway Station. There's a big high end grocery store, and a liquor store next door so we never have to worry about running out of anything.

After 20 years of travelling to skating competitions together, and holding "Not going to . . . " parties when the events were too far away, Larry is the only one of our original group of 7 who still lives in Toronto. The rest of us have moved elsewhere, one died. When we all lived in Toronto, Larry's place was in the middle of the City with easy accessibility. This year's World's Party will be held via Zoom.

In addition to Figure Skating, we also go to baseball games, tennis matches (Rogers Cup is a favourite), and Raptors games, together. Megi, who was born in Poland, doesn't go to baseball games. She'll go to brunch with us before the game, but she finds the game boring, and she says baseball only seems to make the rest of us miserable.

This afternoon we watched the Canadian Pair of Walsh & Michaud skate their short program, I was reminded that the last time my friends and I watched these two skate was January of 2020 - live at the Canadian Championships in Mississauga. Before the world went to hell. It was the last time we were together.

I got my first Covid shot last week. Now all of a sudden I can speak Chinese! On a different note I traded my truck in yesterday for a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 x 4. I got a really great deal and got so much for my truck I wrote a check to completely pay for it so there is no monthly payment. I can’t believe I got such a great deal. Life is good. The wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now so do I. We”re a two Jeep family.
Pics..!!!

I got my first Covid shot last week. Now all of a sudden I can speak Chinese! On a different note I traded my truck in yesterday for a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 x 4. I got a really great deal and got so much for my truck I wrote a check to completely pay for it so there is no monthly payment. I can’t believe I got such a great deal. Life is good. The wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now so do I. We”re a two Jeep family.
Pics..!!!
Agreed.

Dragons. Pain in the ass. But i finally finished him. I call him Furry Dragon.

Attachments

• 20210325_225427.jpg
    20210325_225427.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210325_225446.jpg
    20210325_225446.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 18
I'll have to post a pic or two of my Ceramic Dragons.
Please do!!!

This is my nesting dragon. My long time friend, Leah, is the artist. This Dragon is the inspiration behind my username, and her creator is the person who called my knitting “string art” and made me realize how creative I truly could be. Some people are a blessing to your life. Leah is one of those people.

Attachments

• A37C74E7-1496-486C-8D30-4566BEA53490.jpeg
    A37C74E7-1496-486C-8D30-4566BEA53490.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 11
For our Star Wars fans:

163563325_277536537158210_6528087546991669600_n.jpg

You aren't leaving us are you Montro??? But I am a Star Wars fan. Saw all three of the original trilogy at the theater back in the late 70's early 80's. I remember who we went with to the theater, where we had dinner before, and what we talked about. Ironically I went to sleep last night with the original movie in my old VHS player in the bedroom.

Star Wars was the movie that forever changed how movies were made. The old VHS movie I have has an interview with George Lucas telling about how he conceived the story, broke it up into manageable movie sized lengths, and hired kids--teenagers and early 20's techie types--with vivid imagination and skills to create computer games that came up with the alien species, languages, and special effects that translated to the big screen. Harrison Ford was a carpenter on the construction crew when he was drafted 'temporarily' to read Hans Solo's lines for a mock scene because Hans Solo hadn't been cast yet. Harrison read the lines so well, he got the part and the rest is history.

The new high end 2 channel system in the gym room... McIntosh C47 Audio Preamplifier, Rotel RB-1590 Stereo Amplifier, (an 84 lb behemoth), and streaming digital HD and ultra HD music from a Dell XPS desktop, all plugged into a Panamax M5400-PM Voltage Regulator/Conditioner, which is plugged into a 20 amp dedicated circuit, and assorted high end Audioquest cables, powering my Bowers & Wilkins CM-10's and an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. The sound is incredible. This old audiophile is very happy. First time I've ever owned any McIntosh component. They are world class...

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg

Last edited:
Ni hao?

Was it a new 1970s Jeep Cherokee?

:D

The new high end 2 channel system in the gym room... McIntosh C47 Audio Preamplifier, Rotel RB-1590 Stereo Amplifier, (an 84 lb behemoth), and streaming digital HD and ultra HD music from a Dell XPS desktop, all plugged into a Panamax M5400-PM Voltage Regulator/Conditioner, which is plugged into a 20 amp dedicated circuit, and assorted high end Audioquest cables, powering my Bowers & Wilkins CM-10's and an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. The sound is incredible. This old audiophile is very happy. First time I've ever owned any McIntosh component. They are world class...

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg
Now if I only understood the language of binary evaporators........ Oh wait, that was Star Wars......... :)

• Funny
Reactions: 007
For our Star Wars fans:

You aren't leaving us are you Montro??? But I am a Star Wars fan. Saw all three of the original trilogy at the theater back in the late 70's early 80's. I remember who we went with to the theater, where we had dinner before, and what we talked about. Ironically I went to sleep last night with the original movie in my old VHS player in the bedroom.

Star Wars was the movie that forever changed how movies were made. The old VHS movie I have has an interview with George Lucas telling about how he conceived the story, broke it up into manageable movie sized lengths, and hired kids--teenagers and early 20's techie types--with vivid imagination and skills to create computer games that came up with the alien species, languages, and special effects that translated to the big screen. Harrison Ford was a carpenter on the construction crew when he was drafted 'temporarily' to read Hans Solo's lines for a mock scene because Hans Solo hadn't been cast yet. Harrison read the lines so well, he got the part and the rest is history.

LOL, I'm not leaving, I just thought it was really funny. :)

For our Star Wars fans:

LOL, I'm not leaving, I just thought it was really funny. :)

Yes, it was. :)

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg
Now if I only understood the language of binary evaporators........ Oh wait, that was Star Wars......... :)

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg

Be sure to load this tape/CD or whatever into it. Best workout tape ever.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg

Mac-Rotel-Panamax.jpg

Be sure to load this tape/CD or whatever into it. Best workout tape ever.

I appreciate the thought Foxy, but there's no CD or tape player. It's purely a digital streaming setup, at this point. I have Amazon Music Unlimited because they have one of the largest music libraries of anyone, and some of the highest bitrates for outstanding sound. You get a little discount if you already have Prime, which I do. I had Spotify for years but they're just lagging way behind others with their pathetic slow bitrates, and when you get equipment like I have, the difference in SD and ultra HD streaming can be dramatic.

Also, my gym is a Body Solid P2 Powerline universal gym. I love it. I don't work out on it to get all huge. I just want to stay healthy and keep what I've got. At 65 pushing 66 in a couple months, that's about all I can do. But they say that resistance training is excellent for older people, even more so than cardio, because it can slow down the aging process. You won't become feeble as fast.

gym.jpg

Forum List

Back