USMB Coffee Shop IV

007 I think Mindful's post is something to consider. It is true that Vitamin D and Vitamin A can be toxic in very large amounts, but taking 2 to 4k units of Vitamin D is not toxic and does wonders for our health and immune system and, as the chart here mentions, can help with anxiety. Maybe discontinuing Vitamin D is a factor in increased anxiety attacks? I don't know but I would consider that.

I applaud you for recognizing them for what they are and not overreacting to them as too many do, but they are not at all pleasant for anybody. For omegas, the fastest way to increase those is via adding chia seeds or freshly ground flaxseed (a couple of tablespoons of whole seeds ground in a coffee grinder) to your salads or smoothies or oatmeal or whatever. Anyway hope you and your doctor figure it out soon because the attacks really suck bigtime.
Yeah the anxiety rekindled long before I stopped taking the vitamin D3. I stopped mainly because one of the side effects which is stomach problems, like stomach ache, nausea and constipation, which I believe it caused all three. Once I stopped, those symptoms stopped. If you don't need it, I wouldn't recommend an extra 5,000mg a day to anyone. Not unless you've had labs done and you are actually low on it.

Yes I was low on Vitamin D and the 1000iu I was getting with my multi-vitamin apparently wasn't enough. The Doc told me to get some D3 2000iu in addition to the mutli-vitamin and that corrected the deficiency. I did up it to 5000iu during the worst of the COVID epidemic here due to studies that says it does provide some protection and so far no ill effects. But now that I've had the vaccine I'll drop back to 3000iu a day. I am one who strongly believes that if some is good, a lot may not be better and can be harmful.

I haven't posted in he Coffee Shop lately because I've been busy being a bad boy on other forums and didn't want it to rub off here. I can be good enough though to announce my bride and I celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary yesterday, the 18th. It's been a great ride so far. Now it's back to the forum battles. Ciao.

Happy Anniversary to you and your bride Hossfly. Those milestone anniversaries are special and get more special as time passes.
Congrats to you and your lovely bride of 60 years together! That is so wonderful and definitely a valuable milestone to pass. I hope you've had plenty of sunshine to help make your day a great one!

My husband and I will be celebrating a milestone next year ...whoops...edit here in 2 years from now LOL I can't keep up with it...for with our 25th wedding anniversary. Time sure does fly...way too fast, but it makes life that much more precious and sharing your life with a special someone is a true gift:)

Welcome to the Coffee Shop ClaireH and so happy you decided to check us out here. :) And congrats on your milestones too. Hombre & I are of Hossfly's generation--I like to say we're older than fire but twice as hot :) --and seriously, we feel as young as heart as ever however much our bodies often disagree.

Anyhow happy you're here and keep right on joining right in. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

1616374516664.png

Hombre andI got our first shot of the COVID vaccine today. So far so good. Zero side effects noted. No hair growing on our toes or anything. I wavered getting it reading so many alarming things on social media, but honestly many many of our friends and kin have now had the shots with no problems whatsoever. And since we are first in line as caretaker for my 94-year-old aunt and our heart transplant friend, and our weekly 42 partners are among the extremely high risk group, so we decided we would get the shots just in case they actually work. One more defense not to infect any of the high risk people.
The VA is pushing the vaccine, I have no idea which one, to all us veterans, but it's a HARD PASS for me.

Leaked Documents Reveal Major Concerns About Early Batches Of Pfizer mRNA Vaccine - The True Reporter

Yes, I've seen all those reports too--tons and tons of them but always from rather obscure or little known sources. My doctor who I respect enormously has no qualms about the vaccine or other doctor and nurse friends of mine and based on the experience of the many friends and relatives who have already taken the vaccine, I decided it was worth the risk. They tell you it may or may not protect you, but I would feel terrible if I inadvertently infected somebody, especially somebody I care about, and hadn't taken ever reasonable precaution.

Calculated risk for me. And I have absolutely no criticism for those who choose differently.

Well....I got a lady here that is a painter too, to do a koi table like the one I did. Showed her the pics and she said she wanted to give it a shot. So..in the closet, I had one of those bedside wood tables with 3 long legs you put a skirt over, then add the lamp. It's big enough for a good size table and she is working on it as we speak. Looks pretty good too.

I have an old small sewing cabinet..circa 1950s or so...and instead of koi...I think I will try a dragon. Found one on google I really like, so....since I can't do it by memory of what a dragon looks like since I never saw one in person (lol)...I'm gonna semi copy it and paint it on the top of the table, which I already painted black with gold trim. This dragon is golden yellow, so I think it will look good. Will go with my asian brass gong I bought awhile back. And the koi rock I painted recently.

Keeps me occupied. At least until I can get out of here. Have an application for another apt complex, senior, low income, up further north and west of where I am now. Smaller town. Not so damn noisy. Not so many homeless, hopefully since its a smaller town.

Well....I got a lady here that is a painter too, to do a koi table like the one I did. Showed her the pics and she said she wanted to give it a shot. So..in the closet, I had one of those bedside wood tables with 3 long legs you put a skirt over, then add the lamp. It's big enough for a good size table and she is working on it as we speak. Looks pretty good too.

I have an old small sewing cabinet..circa 1950s or so...and instead of koi...I think I will try a dragon. Found one on google I really like, so....since I can't do it by memory of what a dragon looks like since I never saw one in person (lol)...I'm gonna semi copy it and paint it on the top of the table, which I already painted black with gold trim. This dragon is golden yellow, so I think it will look good. Will go with my asian brass gong I bought awhile back. And the koi rock I painted recently.

Keeps me occupied. At least until I can get out of here. Have an application for another apt complex, senior, low income, up further north and west of where I am now. Smaller town. Not so damn noisy. Not so many homeless, hopefully since its a smaller town.

Hope it works out for you Gracie. Your artwork & decorating skills are amazing. I wish I had your talent.

It beats (painting) sitting here stagnating. The beach is never going to call. Its been 5 years now I have waited on that damn list, numerous times being kicked back. Currently next..unless someone else pushes me back. I've pretty much gotten over going back. No dogs to take to the beach anyway. But, at least I will be further north than where I am now..and westerly to boot. Will be same kind of weather there as here...HOT summers, wet winters. It's a farming community, so at least I will have access to great farmers markets. And tacos! Half are white, half hispanic since they do all the farm work I suppose. Looks like a nice little town. Complex is built in an olive orchard so trees! Rest of it is pretty flat....with the sierras to the east, and mountain ranges to the west. Valley weather. Ick. But....only 8k people. Bigger places are about 30 minutes away, so no problem needing more special stuff the town may not have. Plus side is, the manager said it was a 6 month wait period. SIX MONTHS. Sure beats 5 to 10 years in the more "desirable" areas. Patios too. No elevators. FENCED patios. So I can have a small garden. I look forward to that one.

It beats (painting) sitting here stagnating. The beach is never going to call. Its been 5 years now I have waited on that damn list, numerous times being kicked back. Currently next..unless someone else pushes me back. I've pretty much gotten over going back. No dogs to take to the beach anyway. But, at least I will be further north than where I am now..and westerly to boot. Will be same kind of weather there as here...HOT summers, wet winters. It's a farming community, so at least I will have access to great farmers markets. And tacos! Half are white, half hispanic since they do all the farm work I suppose. Looks like a nice little town. Complex is built in an olive orchard so trees! Rest of it is pretty flat....with the sierras to the east, and mountain ranges to the west. Valley weather. Ick. But....only 8k people. Bigger places are about 30 minutes away, so no problem needing more special stuff the town may not have. Plus side is, the manager said it was a 6 month wait period. SIX MONTHS. Sure beats 5 to 10 years in the more "desirable" areas. Patios too. No elevators. FENCED patios. So I can have a small garden. I look forward to that one.

Sounds good.

Been doing these the past week. Koi is the newest.

Those are amazing Gracie! That takes talent to be able to create such beauty out of plain, grey rocks, and the transformation is awesome. I can picture many restaurants buying such gorgeous pieces to display in outdoor garden or seating area for waiting. You could really turn that into something...if you were to venture out more on your endeavor, but creating something so pretty is just valuable in itself in many ways..but you know this;)

I consider myself artistic but mostly related to music and not art. My art skills have suffered since kindergarten I'm afraid....colors and design I'm good at but anything with drawing I'm out lol

I haven't posted in he Coffee Shop lately because I've been busy being a bad boy on other forums and didn't want it to rub off here. I can be good enough though to announce my bride and I celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary yesterday, the 18th. It's been a great ride so far. Now it's back to the forum battles. Ciao.

Happy Anniversary to you and your bride Hossfly. Those milestone anniversaries are special and get more special as time passes.
Congrats to you and your lovely bride of 60 years together! That is so wonderful and definitely a valuable milestone to pass. I hope you've had plenty of sunshine to help make your day a great one!

My husband and I will be celebrating a milestone next year ...whoops...edit here in 2 years from now LOL I can't keep up with it...for with our 25th wedding anniversary. Time sure does fly...way too fast, but it makes life that much more precious and sharing your life with a special someone is a true gift:)

Welcome to the Coffee Shop ClaireH and so happy you decided to check us out here. :) And congrats on your milestones too. Hombre & I are of Hossfly's generation--I like to say we're older than fire but twice as hot :) --and seriously, we feel as young as heart as ever however much our bodies often disagree.

Anyhow happy you're here and keep right on joining right in. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

Why thank you and that looks absolutely refreshing! Anything fruity I like and strawberry is perfect. Gracie was kind enough to mention this nice little coffee shop when I posted a "hello to all" greeting:)

I'm more of a reader on the board as opposed to a poster, but I do my share of posting I guess but in response form. I'll kick that procrastination trait to the curb one of these days and get the nerve to start a topic!

I relate fully about feeling young at heart regardless of age and plan to stay that way as well. It's funny, years ago I wondered how many other people felt like I did, almost like a kid trapped in an adult's body at times. Well, not exactly going that far, but thinking I should be attaining more "grown up" attitudes instead of pretty much staying with the same outlook. Now I've learned that most people feel this way although I do find myself fighting off the urge to become overly cynical as I become older. When I hear my husband say "You know, you are sounding like your mother" I have to go into a quick panic knowing exactly what he means, immediately reject that theory verbally (especially if I think he's right), and tell him that he better switch subjects because those are some real fighting words! lol I will admit to becoming more like her every decade, but I make it a point to keep my persnickety comments at a minimum! lol

So nice to meet you and read about something other than politics! Thanks again for the nice welcome!:thankusmile:

007 I think Mindful's post is something to consider. It is true that Vitamin D and Vitamin A can be toxic in very large amounts, but taking 2 to 4k units of Vitamin D is not toxic and does wonders for our health and immune system and, as the chart here mentions, can help with anxiety. Maybe discontinuing Vitamin D is a factor in increased anxiety attacks? I don't know but I would consider that.

I applaud you for recognizing them for what they are and not overreacting to them as too many do, but they are not at all pleasant for anybody. For omegas, the fastest way to increase those is via adding chia seeds or freshly ground flaxseed (a couple of tablespoons of whole seeds ground in a coffee grinder) to your salads or smoothies or oatmeal or whatever. Anyway hope you and your doctor figure it out soon because the attacks really suck bigtime.
Yeah the anxiety rekindled long before I stopped taking the vitamin D3. I stopped mainly because one of the side effects which is stomach problems, like stomach ache, nausea and constipation, which I believe it caused all three. Once I stopped, those symptoms stopped. If you don't need it, I wouldn't recommend an extra 5,000mg a day to anyone. Not unless you've had labs done and you are actually low on it.
B12 can help fire peoples' rockets with good health. So I've read. I get it from Wally World in the supplemental vitamins aisle. It makes me feel good in spite of allergies and the leftovers of fibromyalgia after my doctor had a surgeon remove 2 bad parathyroid. After the surgery several years ago, the constant heinous pain went away, but the accompanying conditions didn't insomnia, RA, occasional ankle swelling, leg cramps, brain fog, and chronic fatigue. All those are at bay with the right supplements. I try to go light and address one issue at a time to keep the mind and body right. It keeps me going, but the B12 makes it longer between battles. Lol. Nobody gets it until they get fibromyalgia. I had it for 15 years of pure hell for me and my late husband. He lost his health battles due to dementia that starts in childhood with a blow to the head and dementia reappears late in life in some victims of gang wars, boxing careers, and shaken baby syndrome.

Last edited:
I got my first Covid shot last week. Now all of a sudden I can speak Chinese! On a different note I traded my truck in yesterday for a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 x 4. I got a really great deal and got so much for my truck I wrote a check to completely pay for it so there is no monthly payment. I can’t believe I got such a great deal. Life is good. The wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now so do I. We”re a two Jeep family.

Hombre andI got our first shot of the COVID vaccine today. So far so good. Zero side effects noted. No hair growing on our toes or anything. I wavered getting it reading so many alarming things on social media, but honestly many many of our friends and kin have now had the shots with no problems whatsoever. And since we are first in line as caretaker for my 94-year-old aunt and our heart transplant friend, and our weekly 42 partners are among the extremely high risk group, so we decided we would get the shots just in case they actually work. One more defense not to infect any of the high risk people.
The VA is pushing the vaccine, I have no idea which one, to all us veterans, but it's a HARD PASS for me.

Leaked Documents Reveal Major Concerns About Early Batches Of Pfizer mRNA Vaccine - The True Reporter

Reading some of those illustrious offerings from your source, I can offer this bit of advice: Don't believe everything you read.

I got my first Covid shot last week. Now all of a sudden I can speak Chinese! On a different note I traded my truck in yesterday for a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 x 4. I got a really great deal and got so much for my truck I wrote a check to completely pay for it so there is no monthly payment. I can’t believe I got such a great deal. Life is good. The wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now so do I. We”re a two Jeep family.

Congratulations on the new truck!! And so far I'm not speaking Chinese from my 1st COVID shot but it's good to know I can do that any time now. :) Injection site was really sore for a day but that's about it.

Reading some of those illustrious offerings from your source, I can offer this bit of advice: Don't believe everything you read.

I think most of us think pretty critically on these things, and I don't fault anybody for being cautious. I have read all the downsides reported from wherever and also the upsides being reported wherever, and made a calculated decision that the risk was less getting the vaccine than not getting it for me. That may or may not be true for others though.

But anyway, welcome to the Coffee Shop odanny. Be sure to read over the OP to see what we're all about here and then keep right on joining in. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

1616527479977.png

Forum List

Back