USMB Coffee Shop IV

The crowds and sprawl is taking over I left my area I grew up in and it is wall to wall traffic and suburban sprawl. Government just gives lip service. I moved to a more rural county but I see the start of the same here.

So how the hell has everyone been?
I was wondering what happened to the great 007. Glad you're back.
I've been troubled with a bronchial cough. Over the past year, I've seen a dr. 3 times, and the same problem returns over and over. I am seriously allergic to cigarette smoke, although I do not smoke.
Sorry to hear that. I was never a die hard smoker. I'd quit and start all the time, never smoked in my house or car, usually only smoked when I was having a cold one, but I quit drinking completely almost a year ago now along with the smoking. Quit taking the oxycodone too. I have a gym in the house that I like to use too, but just baffling is that even though I quit all bad habits and try and exercise and be healthy, the darn anxiety attacks popped back up out of nowhere after not having any for 35 years, and they are a pain in the ass. That's why I was up last night. Stupid stuff seems to always hit me at night. Although... I may have brought it on. I quit drinking coffee because EVERYONE says that if you have any panic or anxiety disorder, do not drink coffee, but I had had a couple cups that day and the day before, just to see... well... lo and behold here it was again. So IDK, not conclusive but very compelling, it's the coffee. Lots of things change when you start getting older and I'm going to be 66 in July. Could be I need to give up the coffee, caffeinated anyway. Had to cancel and reschedule my VA appointment. Wasn't going to drive 120 mile round trip on busy, slick highways having no sleep.

Hombre and I don't use alcohol and, with some difficulty, did manage to quit smoking years ago. When the doc said no more nsaids for me (ibupophen and naproxen) I was concerned about having to take the narcotic pain pills b
ut so far so good. Haven't needed them. My worst vice now is popcorn, but i pop my own and try to keep it healthy. And I still drink 2 or 3 cups of caffeinated coffee in the mornings, but would quit that in a heartbeat if it caused me problems.

I did have some mild anxiety issues awhlle back and found the following helped:
Salmon
Chamomile (herbal teas)
Dark Chrocolate
Yogurt
Some say Turmeric is good to dispel anxiety but I haven't tried that. And honestly eat very little salmon.

But so happy to hear things are good for you. And if omitting coffee eliminates the anxiety attacks, I sure wouldn't have the coffee. :)
Actually both tea and chocolate have small amounts of caffeine. I'm not a big candy hound so no chocolate is easy, but there's a Bolthouse vanilla chai with soy protein and green tea that I absolutely love, but I suspect it has such low amounts of caffeine in it that it's negligent. Far as smoking, that was actually easy for me to quick. Even when I would smoke, I'd go days without a cig and think nothing of it, and when I did buy a pack, it was always ultra lites, and even then usually only when I was drinking.

My anxiety seems to crop up at night, unexpected, like once a week, and usually after I go to bed. It's weird. It's not super intense but it's enough to make it very unpleasant. So no more coffee and I'll see if that truly is the culprit.

In the meantime, auction is April 9th, and really, REALLY want THIS, and I got ten grand cash in the safe that say's it's mine... :hyper:

JD3.jpg

While tea has caffeine, herbal teas are not actually made from tea leaves and generally don't have caffeine. Chamomile tea doesn't have caffeine, if you're trying to avoid it. :)

I have no idea how much caffeine is in the chai tea you like. AFAIK chai tea is made with black tea, which has the highest caffeine content of teas. Green tea has less than black. I switched from black to green tea some time ago to cut down on my caffeine intake, although I am back to drinking a cup or so of black tea a day in the morning.

Tea is less caffeine than coffee, though.
Actually the chai is more soy protein and vanilla than green tea. Stuff sure is good. I grab it all if and when I see it. Too many times it's all gone. But other than this stuff, I never drink tea.

Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea Drink, 52 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
Hope it's right for your issue.

This morning, the coughing was so bad I had a cup of hot coffee. It worked some,but an hour later I had some different issues, so took the spices, some co-Q-10, and my regular cough stoppers--Mucinex cough syrup, zinc, vits A, C, D3, and sat and did crochet instead of the planting, which I hope I can get an hour of warmth in to plant some more of the traditional heirloom seeds. Lately, the reports aren't as spot on as they were last year, and last night it was supposed to rain today and cats and dog rain tomorrow. It sprinkled a little this morning, so who knows what tomorrow will really bring. Guess it's time to take another spoonful of cough syrup and a strawberry melatonin tab. The mucinex syrup seems to make the cough go away longer and sleep long enough to get through most of the night.

It's been fun to read big black dog and sgt. Ollie yesterday. Maybe if 007 is around more, they will be too. I hope Oddball find a new source for cartoons he brings on Saturdays. Needless to say, but Foxfyre is a regular homerun hitter for making the coffee shop at USMB the best on the net, IMHO. ♡♡♡♡♡ :thup:

Good night, everyone. :huddle:

I've been troubled with a bronchial cough. Over the past year, I've seen a dr. 3 times, and the same problem returns over and over. I am seriously allergic to cigarette smoke, although I do not smoke.
Sorry to hear that. I was never a die hard smoker. I'd quit and start all the time, never smoked in my house or car, usually only smoked when I was having a cold one, but I quit drinking completely almost a year ago now along with the smoking. Quit taking the oxycodone too. I have a gym in the house that I like to use too, but just baffling is that even though I quit all bad habits and try and exercise and be healthy, the darn anxiety attacks popped back up out of nowhere after not having any for 35 years, and they are a pain in the ass. That's why I was up last night. Stupid stuff seems to always hit me at night. Although... I may have brought it on. I quit drinking coffee because EVERYONE says that if you have any panic or anxiety disorder, do not drink coffee, but I had had a couple cups that day and the day before, just to see... well... lo and behold here it was again. So IDK, not conclusive but very compelling, it's the coffee. Lots of things change when you start getting older and I'm going to be 66 in July. Could be I need to give up the coffee, caffeinated anyway. Had to cancel and reschedule my VA appointment. Wasn't going to drive 120 mile round trip on busy, slick highways having no sleep.

Hombre and I don't use alcohol and, with some difficulty, did manage to quit smoking years ago. When the doc said no more nsaids for me (ibupophen and naproxen) I was concerned about having to take the narcotic pain pills b
ut so far so good. Haven't needed them. My worst vice now is popcorn, but i pop my own and try to keep it healthy. And I still drink 2 or 3 cups of caffeinated coffee in the mornings, but would quit that in a heartbeat if it caused me problems.

Salmon
Chamomile (herbal teas)
Dark Chrocolate
Yogurt
Some say Turmeric is good to dispel anxiety but I haven't tried that. And honestly eat very little salmon.

But so happy to hear things are good for you. And if omitting coffee eliminates the anxiety attacks, I sure wouldn't have the coffee. :)
Actually both tea and chocolate have small amounts of caffeine. I'm not a big candy hound so no chocolate is easy, but there's a Bolthouse vanilla chai with soy protein and green tea that I absolutely love, but I suspect it has such low amounts of caffeine in it that it's negligent. Far as smoking, that was actually easy for me to quick. Even when I would smoke, I'd go days without a cig and think nothing of it, and when I did buy a pack, it was always ultra lites, and even then usually only when I was drinking.

My anxiety seems to crop up at night, unexpected, like once a week, and usually after I go to bed. It's weird. It's not super intense but it's enough to make it very unpleasant. So no more coffee and I'll see if that truly is the culprit.

In the meantime, auction is April 9th, and really, REALLY want THIS, and I got ten grand cash in the safe that say's it's mine... :hyper:

JD3.jpg

While tea has caffeine, herbal teas are not actually made from tea leaves and generally don't have caffeine. Chamomile tea doesn't have caffeine, if you're trying to avoid it. :)

I have no idea how much caffeine is in the chai tea you like. AFAIK chai tea is made with black tea, which has the highest caffeine content of teas. Green tea has less than black. I switched from black to green tea some time ago to cut down on my caffeine intake, although I am back to drinking a cup or so of black tea a day in the morning.

Actually the chai is more soy protein and vanilla than green tea. Stuff sure is good. I grab it all if and when I see it. Too many times it's all gone. But other than this stuff, I never drink tea.

Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea Drink, 52 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

This morning, the coughing was so bad I had a cup of hot coffee. It worked some,but an hour later I had some different issues, so took the spices, some co-Q-10, and my regular cough stoppers--Mucinex cough syrup, zinc, vits A, C, D3, and sat and did crochet instead of the planting, which I hope I can get an hour of warmth in to plant some more of the traditional heirloom seeds. Lately, the reports aren't as spot on as they were last year, and last night it was supposed to rain today and cats and dog rain tomorrow. It sprinkled a little this morning, so who knows what tomorrow will really bring. Guess it's time to take another spoonful of cough syrup and a strawberry melatonin tab. The mucinex syrup seems to make the cough go away longer and sleep long enough to get through most of the night.

It's been fun to read big black dog and sgt. Ollie yesterday. Maybe if 007 is around more, they will be too. I hope Oddball find a new source for cartoons he brings on Saturdays. Needless to say, but Foxfyre is a regular homerun hitter for making the coffee shop at USMB the best on the net, IMHO. ♡♡♡♡♡ :thup:

Well, everything that I thought was causing the anxiety isn't it, I think, because I had a couple medium/small waves of anxiety hit me last night, and then just a tiny 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 this morning. First I thought it was all the vitamin D3 I had been taking because too much can cause "irritability," but, I've read that a vitamin D3 overload can take "months" to dissipate from your system. So maybe the overload, if there ever was one, isn't gone yet. I also thought it was the caffeine, but caffeine is pretty much gone from your system within 6 hours, so if you have coffee first thing in the morning, it's not going to be the cause of anxiety at night. So frankly, I don't think ANYTHING I'm doing or have been eating or drinking is CAUSING the anxiety. I think it's just happening on it's on. Doctors THINK caffeine can add to it and whatnot, but honestly, they don't know what causes it. They know what happens when it kicks off, but they have no true idea of WHY it happens. They can also treat it, but that's just treating the symptoms, and even though the benzo drugs they give you to treat it work very well, most of them have rotten side effects. It's just a vicious thing to be a victim of.

Last edited:
Clever bear hunt! :lmao:Thannks, Foxy!

Salmon
Chamomile (herbal teas)
Dark Chrocolate
Yogurt

JD3.jpg

Well, everything that I thought was causing the anxiety isn't it, I think, because I had a couple medium/small waves of anxiety hit me last night, and then just a tiny 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 this morning. First I thought it was all the vitamin D3 I had been taking because too much can cause "irritability," but, I've read that a vitamin overload can take "months" to dissipate from your system. So maybe the overload, if there ever was one, isn't gone yet. I also thought it was the caffeine, but caffeine is pretty much gone from your system within 6 hours, so if you have coffee first thing in the morning, it's not going to be the cause of anxiety at night. So frankly, I don't think ANYTHING I'm doing or have been eating or drinking is CAUSING the anxiety. I think it's just happening on it's on. Doctors THINK caffeine can add to it and whatnot, but honestly, they don't know what causes it. They know what happens when it kicks off, but they have no true idea of WHY it happens. They can also treat it, but that's just treating the symptoms, and even though the benzo drugs they give you to treat it work very well, most of them have rotten side effects. It's just a vicious thing to be a victim of.
Have you tried GABA? If I really feel irritable, it's my best friend with no flaws. Walmart has it on their vitamin aisle. One dose does it for me for several weeks. (One dose being one capsule.)

Salmon
Chamomile (herbal teas)
Dark Chrocolate
Yogurt

JD3.jpg

Well, everything that I thought was causing the anxiety isn't it, I think, because I had a couple medium/small waves of anxiety hit me last night, and then just a tiny 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 this morning. First I thought it was all the vitamin D3 I had been taking because too much can cause "irritability," but, I've read that a vitamin overload can take "months" to dissipate from your system. So maybe the overload, if there ever was one, isn't gone yet. I also thought it was the caffeine, but caffeine is pretty much gone from your system within 6 hours, so if you have coffee first thing in the morning, it's not going to be the cause of anxiety at night. So frankly, I don't think ANYTHING I'm doing or have been eating or drinking is CAUSING the anxiety. I think it's just happening on it's on. Doctors THINK caffeine can add to it and whatnot, but honestly, they don't know what causes it. They know what happens when it kicks off, but they have no true idea of WHY it happens. They can also treat it, but that's just treating the symptoms, and even though the benzo drugs they give you to treat it work very well, most of them have rotten side effects. It's just a vicious thing to be a victim of.
Have you tried GABA? If I really feel irritable, it's my best friend with no flaws. Walmart has it on their vitamin aisle. One dose does it for me for several weeks. (One dose being one capsule.)
Just wrote a long reply, hit post reply, and it disappeared...

Salmon
Chamomile (herbal teas)
Dark Chrocolate
Yogurt

JD3.jpg

Do you mean Gabapentin?

They tell me the Tampa area is improving as far as the bay being clean and quality of life. I grew up in Orange county.
My ex brother in law still lives in Tampa. He told me I wouldn't even recognize it now. I didn't think the traffic was horrible bad when I was there, but we're talking 1984 to 1987, but he said it's bumper to bumper where ever you go now. I'd have a major problem with that, and it's going to be twice as bad in the winter with all the snowbirds. My nephew lives a little over 60 miles north of Tampa in Bushnell. Small town but still, he's told me traffic can get bad when you go anywhere.

They tell me the Tampa area is improving as far as the bay being clean and quality of life. I grew up in Orange county.
My ex brother in law still lives in Tampa. He told me I wouldn't even recognize it now. I didn't think the traffic was horrible bad when I was there, but we're talking 1984 to 1987, but he said it's bumper to bumper where ever you go now. I'd have a major problem with that, and it's going to be twice as bad in the winter with all the snowbirds. My nephew lives a little over 60 miles north of Tampa in Bushnell. Small town but still, he's told me traffic can get bad when you go anywhere.
Same in the rural area I moved to. Certain times of day traffic is bad. Gainesville Florida the traffic stays bad all day.

I would like to visit those places before I get too much older.

I want a road trip through all those mid west states (and others). Covid permitting.

Most Americans I think would consider Wyoming west rather than midwest, but on the eastern edge of the west. But yes, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico all on the eastern edge of the west offer some stunning scenery and a lot of history and fun things to see and do. Some of the best climate in the USA as well.
I spent 35 years of my adult life in Wyoming, and we referred to it as the Rocky Mountains, and considering a historic bar on Center Street was frequented occasionally by cowboys on a spirited horse that older people remembered and artists painted it to recall it as a special part of the Rocky Mountain West.

The best thing about Wyoming was the wonderful, sturdy people who celebrated helping each other out in deadly winter conditions, not to mention their love for animals and deep respect for others, whose wise ways saved lives in blinding snowstorms and search parties in wooded mountainsides if kids got lost at a summer picnic attended by many, or just being a good neighbor when the nearest house could be a couple of miles down the Platte River.

Enough nnostalgia. Hope everyone had a taste of Irish potatoes, corned beef and cabbage this week and are going to have a lovely weekend coming up. :thup:

I would like to visit those places before I get too much older.

I want a road trip through all those mid west states (and others). Covid permitting.

Most Americans I think would consider Wyoming west rather than midwest, but on the eastern edge of the west. But yes, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico all on the eastern edge of the west offer some stunning scenery and a lot of history and fun things to see and do. Some of the best climate in the USA as well.
I spent 35 years of my adult life in Wyoming, and we referred to it as the Rocky Mountains, and considering a historic bar on Center Street was frequented occasionally by cowboys on a spirited horse that older people remembered and artists painted it to recall it as a special part of the Rocky Mountain West.

The best thing about Wyoming was the wonderful, sturdy people who celebrated helping each other out in deadly winter conditions, not to mention their love for animals and deep respect for others, whose wise ways saved lives in blinding snowstorms and search parties in wooded mountainsides if kids got lost at a summer picnic attended by many, or just being a good neighbor when the nearest house could be a couple of miles down the Platte River.

Enough nnostalgia. Hope everyone had a taste of Irish potatoes, corned beef and cabbage this week and are going to have a lovely weekend coming up. :thup:
I've lived out west in Arizona, Nevada and Montana, and I've been in every state west of the Mississippi, and most east of it. I cut through the upper NE corner of WY every time I drive to my sister's in Montana. She moved to a little town not far from Dillon way back in 1970, and she's been there ever since. I lived out there briefly a couple times, once in 1974, I worked for my brother in law who owned a lumber yard and construction company with his dad, and then again briefly after I got out of the Air Force back in 1987. I liked it. Wouldn't mind living out there. But it would take a lot more money than I have for me to have the house, shop and size chunk of land I do here in WI out there. The home prices are through the roof. I paid $79,500 for my place here in Podunk, WI six years ago, and it would take $350,000 for me to buy something like it Montana. Needless to say, I'll stay where I'm at.

Same in the rural area I moved to. Certain times of day traffic is bad. Gainesville Florida the traffic stays bad all day.
I bet it's great to have an orange tree growing in one's yard in beautiful Florida. Our minus 8 degree F week here wiped out my 1st year lemon tree. I lost lime trees twice, same years everyone else lost their beautiful lemon trees. I really need to get a 20 foot tall greenhouse with an automatic heater that feels what the date palm, orange, and bing cherry tree love for winters around here in farmlands surrounding the great tall Pines in the area. Some of the pine trees are well over 100 feet tall, and their deciduous partner/neighbors are, too. I guess Florida misses being Heaven when hurricanes roll through leaving a flattened landscape in its impatient way. <sigh>

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Freeze and pest have taken out a lot of citrus. In my old property I had Tangerines ,tangelos, navels and Valencia oranges along with my Guavas. My new property is just a 1/4 acer but I will try and plant some citrus on it.

I haven't posted in he Coffee Shop lately because I've been busy being a bad boy on other forums and didn't want it to rub off here. I can be good enough though to announce my bride and I celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary yesterday, the 18th. It's been a great ride so far. Now it's back to the forum battles. Ciao.

Freeze and pest have taken out a lot of citrus. In my old property I had Tangerines ,tangelos, navels and Valencia oranges along with my Guavas. My new property is just a 1/4 acer but I will try and plant some citrus on it.
Oh my. How I crave Valencia oranges from time to time. I seldom see them at Walmart, but I like navel oranges when no Valencias are to be had. Lol. 1/4 acre in Florida will grow a lot of good stuff year round from what I've heard.

I haven't posted in he Coffee Shop lately because I've been busy being a bad boy on other forums and didn't want it to rub off here. I can be good enough though to announce my bride and I celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary yesterday, the 18th. It's been a great ride so far. Now it's back to the forum battles. Ciao.
Welcome back, Hossfly. So glad you're back! I've decided to watch news only once a day lately, and the local news doesn't make too much of D.C. My anxiety level has benefitted considerably on days I turn the Dish to oldies like Roy Roger's and others visited by those of us who spent growing up years in the 50s and 60s. Life is good when good guys win and bad guys have to pay for their crimes in a correctional facility. :heehee:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back