USMB Coffee Shop IV

Finally did it, backed up everything I wanted to keep on this computer and replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu. :thup:

Do you still have a PC with Windows for gaming, or maybe dual boot on that one?
I have 5 computers, this one (my primary laptop) I just switched over to Ubuntu. I have a desktop gaming computer (my recently rebuilt one), another desktop running Ubuntu, the wife's laptop with Win 10 and the 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 with Win 10.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

cabinwinter.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

My goodness, I'm the first one up? Well happy Saturday everybody. We woke up to more snow this morning - maybe an inch or so - but the skies are clearing and it is shaping up to be a beautiful if somewhat chilly day.

And to start your day off:

11219019_1029209207119860_1701740634321581618_n.jpg

My goodness, I'm the first one up? Well happy Saturday everybody. We woke up to more snow this morning - maybe an inch or so - but the skies are clearing and it is shaping up to be a beautiful if somewhat chilly day.

Yup, went to bed a little late, just woke up. I be back later when I'm feeling human again (still on the first cup of coffee).

Yup, went to bed a little late, just woke up. I be back later when I'm feeling human again (still on the first cup of coffee).

Me too but just about ready to go get my second cup. Finished my Budwig 'cocktail' that I have for breakfast these days and about ready to set up the new printer we got for Hombre's desk. His computer kept losing contact with our shared Epson printer so I will just hardwire it to the new one if necessary.

Me too but just about ready to go get my second cup. Finished my Budwig 'cocktail' that I have for breakfast these days and about ready to set up the new printer we got for Hombre's desk. His computer kept losing contact with our shared Epson printer so I will just hardwire it to the new one if necessary.
I'm still tweaking Ubuntu on this one. One problem was the scroll bar on the right side was the same color as the scroll panel making it very hard to see, installed a color changer from the software center and changed the scroll bar color, now I can see it quite plainly. :thup:

One thing I have to get used to is the 'close, minimize and maximize' buttons are on the left instead of the right.

Used car list updated, sales meeting, took three tests, went to the bank and just got here.

<pant>

Well that certainly is more impressive than me: got up, made my Budwig cocktail for breakfast, sat at computer, accepted cup of coffee Hombre brought me, still deciding what I want to accomplish today. What kind of tests do you have to take?

One thing I have to get used to is the 'close, minimize and maximize' buttons are on the left instead of the right.

I am impressed that you actually know what you're talking about. I'm just happy when I can do the few simple tasks I want to do with what I have. I wouldn't even attempt to try to use a different operating system when the one I have is a complete mystery.

Used car list updated, sales meeting, took three tests, went to the bank and just got here.

<pant>
<shirt>
shoes and then you can get service.

Just received two pair of shoes I had ordered. Same outlet. Same brand. One pair fits perfectly. The other is too short for my feet. Another one of those mysteries but at least they make returns simple. Charge you shipping for the return though which is a bit annoying.

I am impressed that you actually know what you're talking about. I'm just happy when I can do the few simple tasks I want to do with what I have. I wouldn't even attempt to try to use a different operating system when the one I have is a complete mystery.
Upper right corner of Windows (and Windows compatible) open window.

108.png

In Ubuntu they're on the left as opposed to the right though I believe there are Themes available that have them on the right.

108.png

In Ubuntu they're on the left as opposed to the right though I believe there are Themes available that have them on the right.

I didn't use Ubuntu for very long before I gave up on it, but I don't remember why.

108.png

I didn't use Ubuntu for very long before I gave up on it, but I don't remember why.
It's a toss up between Mint and Ubuntu for former Windows users. With either you can install Cairo Dock, more of an OS X panel.

108.png

It's a toss up between Mint and Ubuntu for former Windows users. With either you can install Cairo Dock, more of an OS X panel.

I've been using Cairo since someone here first mentioned it. I liked it enough to get the Nexus dock for my Vista PC.

So with the little one being 6 1/2 years old, it's seriously becoming time for me to plan for my employment post-nanny. I suppose I could look for another live-in nanny gig, but that's a dangerous proposition; I was already friends with the couple before they asked me to do it, but with strangers I would worry about things going badly (getting kicked out unexpectedly, a breakup leading to me losing the job, etc.). There's also the difficulty in finding people willing to trust me with their children. I could get a good recommendation from my current employer, but I'm still a 41 year old man who happens to have the word HATE carved into his forearm. :lol:

I have considered doing medical billing/coding. It seemed like something my data entry skills could be useful for, it probably wouldn't require much customer interaction, and it's expected to have job growth for the next decade. I was narrowing my school options down (and oh, it's something I can get a degree for online) when I decided to search for openings in this area, just to get a feel. There was nothing. :( I looked in Tampa, where I came from before moving here, and there were tons of listings, so it's just because we're in a somewhat out of the way area.

With that possibility somewhat soured, I'm now looking at some sort of programming or perhaps web design job. My father, who has worked in computers (albeit hardware) for most of my life, keeps telling me I should learn Java. I found a website that gives some free, basic lessons in various computer languages and web design, so I'm starting to go through that. I just got done with about an hour of Java lessons. Ugh, I hate school-like lessons. It always makes me feel as though I should know whatever I've read after a single pass; when I can't recall something in a lesson I just got through I feel like there's no way I'm ever going to learn whatever it was about. I'm easily frustrated. :p

I'm going to try doing an hour or two of these lessons a day while I look into potential 2 year degrees that might be appropriate. Ah, if only I could just win the Powerball instead and not have to work! :lol:

Forum List

Back