USMB Coffee Shop IV

So with the little one being 6 1/2 years old, it's seriously becoming time for me to plan for my employment post-nanny. I suppose I could look for another live-in nanny gig, but that's a dangerous proposition; I was already friends with the couple before they asked me to do it, but with strangers I would worry about things going badly (getting kicked out unexpectedly, a breakup leading to me losing the job, etc.). There's also the difficulty in finding people willing to trust me with their children. I could get a good recommendation from my current employer, but I'm still a 41 year old man who happens to have the word HATE carved into his forearm. :lol:

I have considered doing medical billing/coding. It seemed like something my data entry skills could be useful for, it probably wouldn't require much customer interaction, and it's expected to have job growth for the next decade. I was narrowing my school options down (and oh, it's something I can get a degree for online) when I decided to search for openings in this area, just to get a feel. There was nothing. :( I looked in Tampa, where I came from before moving here, and there were tons of listings, so it's just because we're in a somewhat out of the way area.

With that possibility somewhat soured, I'm now looking at some sort of programming or perhaps web design job. My father, who has worked in computers (albeit hardware) for most of my life, keeps telling me I should learn Java. I found a website that gives some free, basic lessons in various computer languages and web design, so I'm starting to go through that. I just got done with about an hour of Java lessons. Ugh, I hate school-like lessons. It always makes me feel as though I should know whatever I've read after a single pass; when I can't recall something in a lesson I just got through I feel like there's no way I'm ever going to learn whatever it was about. I'm easily frustrated. :p

I'm going to try doing an hour or two of these lessons a day while I look into potential 2 year degrees that might be appropriate. Ah, if only I could just win the Powerball instead and not have to work! :lol:

My company is based in Tennessee, but I live in Massachusetts. At a lot of the transcription businesses, it doesn't matter where in the United States you live, if you can work and have a computer, they will hire you to work from home. Some of them will rent you a computer and send you everything you need to get started.

If you can stand to sit there and type reports for hours, then I would suggest you take some courses in medical terminology. If you can type at least 50-55 WPM, you shouldn't have a problem, and that will increase the more you do it. I think you should look into it. It might be a great career choice for you! :)

My typing is fine. I did data entry for about 10 years, and although it's been quite a while, I still type enough that I don't think there would be issues there. I don't know how well I'd do with the transcription, though. Typing what you read and typing what you hear are very different. I could probably do it, and it's certainly on my list of potential backup plans. :)

I think you could definitely do it! Get your ears cleaned out first though! :)

So with the little one being 6 1/2 years old, it's seriously becoming time for me to plan for my employment post-nanny. I suppose I could look for another live-in nanny gig, but that's a dangerous proposition; I was already friends with the couple before they asked me to do it, but with strangers I would worry about things going badly (getting kicked out unexpectedly, a breakup leading to me losing the job, etc.). There's also the difficulty in finding people willing to trust me with their children. I could get a good recommendation from my current employer, but I'm still a 41 year old man who happens to have the word HATE carved into his forearm. :lol:

I have considered doing medical billing/coding. It seemed like something my data entry skills could be useful for, it probably wouldn't require much customer interaction, and it's expected to have job growth for the next decade. I was narrowing my school options down (and oh, it's something I can get a degree for online) when I decided to search for openings in this area, just to get a feel. There was nothing. :( I looked in Tampa, where I came from before moving here, and there were tons of listings, so it's just because we're in a somewhat out of the way area.

With that possibility somewhat soured, I'm now looking at some sort of programming or perhaps web design job. My father, who has worked in computers (albeit hardware) for most of my life, keeps telling me I should learn Java. I found a website that gives some free, basic lessons in various computer languages and web design, so I'm starting to go through that. I just got done with about an hour of Java lessons. Ugh, I hate school-like lessons. It always makes me feel as though I should know whatever I've read after a single pass; when I can't recall something in a lesson I just got through I feel like there's no way I'm ever going to learn whatever it was about. I'm easily frustrated. :p

I'm going to try doing an hour or two of these lessons a day while I look into potential 2 year degrees that might be appropriate. Ah, if only I could just win the Powerball instead and not have to work! :lol:

My company is based in Tennessee, but I live in Massachusetts. At a lot of the transcription businesses, it doesn't matter where in the United States you live, if you can work and have a computer, they will hire you to work from home. Some of them will rent you a computer and send you everything you need to get started.

If you can stand to sit there and type reports for hours, then I would suggest you take some courses in medical terminology. If you can type at least 50-55 WPM, you shouldn't have a problem, and that will increase the more you do it. I think you should look into it. It might be a great career choice for you! :)

My typing is fine. I did data entry for about 10 years, and although it's been quite a while, I still type enough that I don't think there would be issues there. I don't know how well I'd do with the transcription, though. Typing what you read and typing what you hear are very different. I could probably do it, and it's certainly on my list of potential backup plans. :)

You could even just google "medical transcription companies" and then go to the human resources section, see if they are taking applications. A lot of these places are always wanting to hire new people. There is also editing for speech recognition. Most people do both, transcription and editing. I do both. You get a little less for editing than you do for actual transcribing reports because you are basically only fixing mistakes and filling in things the speech recognition may have missed. Accuracy is more important than speed. They want reports to be as complete as possible and, of course, because you are dealing with patients, medication dosages, a patient's vital statistics, and important data like that, you need to be as accurate as possible. As you can imagine, accuracy is a really big deal.

Sorry if I'm babbling, but I have a lot of information to give you! :D

Books and resource materials are also going to be a big deal when you first start. You can google things too, but be very careful that you are getting accurate information. Use reputable sites. You can use actual books if you prefer too. You could probably buy some used resource materials very cheap. In fact, I just happen to have some books. I have a medical encyclopedia and some other books that I would be glad to get rid of for a bargain! ;)

The ear that's been clogged is almost better now....still slightly muted, but close to where it should be. :lol:

The ear that's been clogged is almost better now....still slightly muted, but close to where it should be. :lol:

I'm excited for you! :happy-1: I think you would make an excellent transcriptionist too! You should really pursue this. I know how it feels to make a career change and to be "comfortable" in what you're used to, but you are going to feel great, and you will do great too. Believe it! :D

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/badac8dfce49fee965767ad3745ef768.jpgAs my analogy with our problems in Southeast Asia fifty years ago, my bedroom renovation has been called my own Vietnam. Well, along with that analogy, it's early April 1975 and the choppers are circling the roof of the embassy. The project needs only window dressing, literally, and adequate eye sight to attach the knobs to the dresser. Throughout this project I've suffered a bout of bronchitis, several stubbed fingers, a puncture from a nail requiring a tetenous shot and deteriorating vision. But, I owe you some before and after pictures.

That's how it started. Here's how it looks today:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/40967994660134d1f6fde40d7a0c2803.jpg

The closets, which wer too small, looked like this:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/a60e339193aeab3dbe9131095d28be67.jpg

And after a several months of off and on effort, they look like this:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/aac7797fb66f89aebc2cb2f6b98e1ced.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/badac8dfce49fee965767ad3745ef768.jpg

I will order a new bed spread/quilt or duvet if you will, a new plush tight top mattress and box spring will be delivered Tuesday, I have to refinish a small sofa table I initially put a finish on soon after my 18 month stint in Puerto Rico back in the early 1990s. I was really influenced by the tropical colors there and the current color won't work with the 'bruise' palette of earth tones.

And that's it! I found out that I will have to get a set of dog steps for Daisy the Mutt. The new mattress will be five inches higher than my current set up and she can't make the jump. I'll post pics of the ultimate finishing touches, fabrics, hardware and art, as they can be afforded.

Photobucket was being its usual quirky self and I couldn't get two of the photos to load, Nosmo, but did get a good shot of that fantastic bed and at least part of the closet. We've been on a long journey with you on that remodel project haven't we. Really looks great.

I'm excited for you! :happy-1: I think you would make an excellent transcriptionist too! You should really pursue this. I know how it feels to make a career change and to be "comfortable" in what you're used to, but you are going to feel great, and you will do great too. Believe it! :D

Whatever I do, it isn't going to be for a while yet. I would guess I have at least a year, maybe even a few, before I need to get a new job. It's even possible, if unlikely, that my employer will end up having another child and I'll have more nanny time. :p

I'm hoping to have at least 2 years so that I can get an Associates in something. The important thing is trying to get something I can do in the area so I can stay in the little one's life. If I were to move back to Florida, say, where most of the people I know are, I'd almost never see her again.

Like Chris said, you do get used to the doctors' different accents and idiosyncrasies but you might need a week or two on site until you got the gist of it and your frustration level is down. :) When I was doing that I was working in a radiology division. The chief radiologist was a Bostonian with a really thick Boston accent--that would have been a piece of cake for Chris, but it did take me several days to adjust. And Dr. Raza was from Iran and sounded like it. I left before Dr. Obando arrived from Brazil and I would have had to deal with Portuguese. :) But so many of the doctors are from foreign countries now, you do have to develop an ear for that.

5152_542689302578668_3917621260975101787_n.jpg

Finally did it, backed up everything I wanted to keep on this computer and replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu. :thup:

Do you still have a PC with Windows for gaming, or maybe dual boot on that one?
I have 5 computers, this one (my primary laptop) I just switched over to Ubuntu. I have a desktop gaming computer (my recently rebuilt one), another desktop running Ubuntu, the wife's laptop with Win 10 and the 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 with Win 10.

That's a lot of computers! :ack-1: I have two. My work PC and my laptop for play.
I had 7, sold one, donated one. I also have 2 incomplete older computers (I'll donate) and the wife's old laptop that needs a new screen. That doesn't include the 2 boxes of computer parts and cables that I still have left, one medium size box already got donated.

Put a little bit of hydrogen peroxide in a small glass with equal amount of water. Warm it slightly then pour it in your ear and let it fizzle the stuff loose. Works for me every time.

Good morning everybody. We woke up to a bit of residual snow on the ground and clouds hanging over the mountains, but blue skies and sunshine over the city and more of the same expected today. But alas, Hombre has a cold so we are staying in this morning so no church for us today--just football playoffs. Wishing a good Sunday for all.

I finally had to put chains on the truck. Our driveway is not level and makes a 180 degree turn between top and bottom. Being completely encased in ice, it's pretty tricky to navigate, but moving a couple of tons of hay back into the hay racks was just too challenging. Better safe than sorry.
I've been wearing ice cleats to work around the animals and barn but the goats don't have such luck. They constantly wipe out and do face plants while trying to navigate the trail from their pen to the milking barn. Well, except one clever girl who has discovered a rough patch running parallel to the usual path. She's the same goat who figured out how to cross a stream by walking along a log rather than trying to jump over.
I remember the days of chains. they worked great though. when I was cleaning out my parents house after they died I found my fathers old chains. I kept them. you never know when you might need them

Finally did it, backed up everything I wanted to keep on this computer and replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu. :thup:

I have 5 computers, this one (my primary laptop) I just switched over to Ubuntu. I have a desktop gaming computer (my recently rebuilt one), another desktop running Ubuntu, the wife's laptop with Win 10 and the 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 with Win 10.

That's a lot of computers! :ack-1: I have two. My work PC and my laptop for play.
I had 7, sold one, donated one. I also have 2 incomplete older computers (I'll donate) and the wife's old laptop that needs a new screen. That doesn't include the 2 boxes of computer parts and cables that I still have left, one medium size box already got donated.
what is Ubuntu and is there a benefit?

Put a little bit of hydrogen peroxide in a small glass with equal amount of water. Warm it slightly then pour it in your ear and let it fizzle the stuff loose. Works for me every time.

Too funny, you are the only person ever to do what I do with hydrogen peroxide only I do 1/2 water and sniff it into my sinuses to kill anything back there when I feel like the flu is winning, and it kills it every time. I even told my allergist doctor who never knew about it either.. Nice to meet someone else who has a clue with what it does...I use it to clean at times too.

I put peroxide in my ear already. :) I don't mix it with water, just pour a small amount into my ear and leave it until the fizzles mostly stop. It didn't work this time, though.

what is Ubuntu and is there a benefit?

Ubuntu is a version of Linux, one of the most popular. The benefits would be getting away from Microsoft or Apple, having a free operating system, better security (because Linux isn't targeted like Microsoft), and a less resource-intensive OS which can allow for an older machine to run more smoothly. Disadvantages would be getting used to a new OS, having to deal with some command line use rather than fully graphical interface like the others, less definitive support because it is an open source program, lack of compatibility with Microsoft and Apple programs (particularly with games).

Forum List

Back