USMB Coffee Shop IV

So with the little one being 6 1/2 years old, it's seriously becoming time for me to plan for my employment post-nanny. I suppose I could look for another live-in nanny gig, but that's a dangerous proposition; I was already friends with the couple before they asked me to do it, but with strangers I would worry about things going badly (getting kicked out unexpectedly, a breakup leading to me losing the job, etc.). There's also the difficulty in finding people willing to trust me with their children. I could get a good recommendation from my current employer, but I'm still a 41 year old man who happens to have the word HATE carved into his forearm. :lol:

I have considered doing medical billing/coding. It seemed like something my data entry skills could be useful for, it probably wouldn't require much customer interaction, and it's expected to have job growth for the next decade. I was narrowing my school options down (and oh, it's something I can get a degree for online) when I decided to search for openings in this area, just to get a feel. There was nothing. :( I looked in Tampa, where I came from before moving here, and there were tons of listings, so it's just because we're in a somewhat out of the way area.

With that possibility somewhat soured, I'm now looking at some sort of programming or perhaps web design job. My father, who has worked in computers (albeit hardware) for most of my life, keeps telling me I should learn Java. I found a website that gives some free, basic lessons in various computer languages and web design, so I'm starting to go through that. I just got done with about an hour of Java lessons. Ugh, I hate school-like lessons. It always makes me feel as though I should know whatever I've read after a single pass; when I can't recall something in a lesson I just got through I feel like there's no way I'm ever going to learn whatever it was about. I'm easily frustrated. :p

I'm going to try doing an hour or two of these lessons a day while I look into potential 2 year degrees that might be appropriate. Ah, if only I could just win the Powerball instead and not have to work! :lol:

Well best of luck to you Montro. I hope you take us along on your journey. Some say Java is on the way out--Google Chrome doesn't support it any more for instance--but a whole bunch of good stuff still runs on it so it seems unlikely it will be abandoned in the near future. Chris might be able to tell you how to get into medical transcription. I did that, at least that was part of my job, for a couple of years and enjoyed it. But it does get old after awhile if you are a people person.

They broke the British lottery by adding ten more numbers. It raised the odds from 14 million to one against to 45 million. With the consequence that it has rolled over 14 times. But tonight they are going to let someone with less than six number win it. I did not even get one number.

They broke the British lottery by adding ten more numbers. It raised the odds from 14 million to one against to 45 million. With the consequence that it has rolled over 14 times. But tonight they are going to let someone with less than six number win it. I did not even get one number.

Sounds like your lottery is just as hard to win as ours. :)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/badac8dfce49fee965767ad3745ef768.jpgAs my analogy with our problems in Southeast Asia fifty years ago, my bedroom renovation has been called my own Vietnam. Well, along with that analogy, it's early April 1975 and the choppers are circling the roof of the embassy. The project needs only window dressing, literally, and adequate eye sight to attach the knobs to the dresser. Throughout this project I've suffered a bout of bronchitis, several stubbed fingers, a puncture from a nail requiring a tetenous shot and deteriorating vision. But, I owe you some before and after pictures.

That's how it started. Here's how it looks today:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/40967994660134d1f6fde40d7a0c2803.jpg

The closets, which wer too small, looked like this:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/a60e339193aeab3dbe9131095d28be67.jpg

And after a several months of off and on effort, they look like this:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/aac7797fb66f89aebc2cb2f6b98e1ced.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/NosmoKing0129/badac8dfce49fee965767ad3745ef768.jpg

I will order a new bed spread/quilt or duvet if you will, a new plush tight top mattress and box spring will be delivered Tuesday, I have to refinish a small sofa table I initially put a finish on soon after my 18 month stint in Puerto Rico back in the early 1990s. I was really influenced by the tropical colors there and the current color won't work with the 'bruise' palette of earth tones.

And that's it! I found out that I will have to get a set of dog steps for Daisy the Mutt. The new mattress will be five inches higher than my current set up and she can't make the jump. I'll post pics of the ultimate finishing touches, fabrics, hardware and art, as they can be afforded.

Last edited:

Sounds like your lottery is just as hard to win as ours. :)

I just read that the Powerball is up to something like 1 in 245 million chance to win. It was made harder recently which is why it's up to a record $900 million right now.

So with the little one being 6 1/2 years old, it's seriously becoming time for me to plan for my employment post-nanny. I suppose I could look for another live-in nanny gig, but that's a dangerous proposition; I was already friends with the couple before they asked me to do it, but with strangers I would worry about things going badly (getting kicked out unexpectedly, a breakup leading to me losing the job, etc.). There's also the difficulty in finding people willing to trust me with their children. I could get a good recommendation from my current employer, but I'm still a 41 year old man who happens to have the word HATE carved into his forearm. :lol:

I have considered doing medical billing/coding. It seemed like something my data entry skills could be useful for, it probably wouldn't require much customer interaction, and it's expected to have job growth for the next decade. I was narrowing my school options down (and oh, it's something I can get a degree for online) when I decided to search for openings in this area, just to get a feel. There was nothing. :( I looked in Tampa, where I came from before moving here, and there were tons of listings, so it's just because we're in a somewhat out of the way area.

With that possibility somewhat soured, I'm now looking at some sort of programming or perhaps web design job. My father, who has worked in computers (albeit hardware) for most of my life, keeps telling me I should learn Java. I found a website that gives some free, basic lessons in various computer languages and web design, so I'm starting to go through that. I just got done with about an hour of Java lessons. Ugh, I hate school-like lessons. It always makes me feel as though I should know whatever I've read after a single pass; when I can't recall something in a lesson I just got through I feel like there's no way I'm ever going to learn whatever it was about. I'm easily frustrated. :p

I'm going to try doing an hour or two of these lessons a day while I look into potential 2 year degrees that might be appropriate. Ah, if only I could just win the Powerball instead and not have to work! :lol:

Well best of luck to you Montro. I hope you take us along on your journey. Some say Java is on the way out--Google Chrome doesn't support it any more for instance--but a whole bunch of good stuff still runs on it so it seems unlikely it will be abandoned in the near future. Chris might be able to tell you how to get into medical transcription. I did that, at least that was part of my job, for a couple of years and enjoyed it. But it does get old after awhile if you are a people person.

I tried transcription once when I did data entry.....I couldn't understand what the hell the guy was saying at the very beginning of the tape. :lol:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

cabinwinter.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Hey! That looks like my place.

You'd be welcome up here. I always have a new crop of kids every Spring and they'd love to have a "nanny" (heh, heh, heh...pun intended!) And at least the shit you have to deal with on the job is...well, shit.

Finally did it, backed up everything I wanted to keep on this computer and replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu. :thup:

Do you still have a PC with Windows for gaming, or maybe dual boot on that one?
I have 5 computers, this one (my primary laptop) I just switched over to Ubuntu. I have a desktop gaming computer (my recently rebuilt one), another desktop running Ubuntu, the wife's laptop with Win 10 and the 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 with Win 10.

That's a lot of computers! :ack-1: I have two. My work PC and my laptop for play.

It's been raining here all afternoon. Not good because the temps are just at freezing and the ground is still ice-covered. I stopped and got a 100 lbs of ice-melt on the way home and will be wearing my cleats to feed the animals. Sheesh! This is more like March than January.
It's raining here as well, but it's not that cold. We're at about 50 degrees.

Just received two pair of shoes I had ordered. Same outlet. Same brand. One pair fits perfectly. The other is too short for my feet. Another one of those mysteries but at least they make returns simple. Charge you shipping for the return though which is a bit annoying.

That's why I like to shop for my clothing and shoes and stuff in person. I did order a pair of winter boots once from Zappos. They seem okay, but I don't wear them very often. I still prefer to shop in person for that kind of stuff so you can try it on and see how it feels, all that fun stuff. :)

Just received two pair of shoes I had ordered. Same outlet. Same brand. One pair fits perfectly. The other is too short for my feet. Another one of those mysteries but at least they make returns simple. Charge you shipping for the return though which is a bit annoying.

That's why I like to shop for my clothing and shoes and stuff in person. I did order a pair of winter boots once from Zappos. They seem okay, but I don't wear them very often. I still prefer to shop in person for that kind of stuff so you can try it on and see how it feels, all that fun stuff. :)

But you can get such good deals online. :D

It's been raining here all afternoon. Not good because the temps are just at freezing and the ground is still ice-covered. I stopped and got a 100 lbs of ice-melt on the way home and will be wearing my cleats to feed the animals. Sheesh! This is more like March than January.
It's raining here as well, but it's not that cold. We're at about 50 degrees.
Understand, 30-35 degrees is unseasonably warm here. We should be having single- or minus-digit temps here in January. The reason everything is icy is because last week, the temps got up to the mid-40s for a few days running. 50 would be a blessing because it would at least melt the rest of the ice.

Look into careers at home. A lot of places offer the option to work at home, so you should definitely check out some websites. A lot of medical transcription businesses are "at home" work only. So, go and check out medical transcription jobs on your preferred job website, and check out the websites for these companies. A lot of them might not specify work from home, but most at least offer that option and for some, that is the only option.

I'm not so sure about billing. I've never done billing before. :) Good luck on your hunt! It will definitely be worth it even if it seems a little intimidating at first. Just jump in and go for it!

I tried transcription once when I did data entry.....I couldn't understand what the hell the guy was saying at the very beginning of the tape. :lol:

Ohhhh! You are so right. Lol. It takes time to get used to your docs. Usually a company will stick you with the same doctors and, believe it or not, you do get used to their accents and quirks. I promise you that.

My first transcription job was at a company (not at home), and I broke down and cried on my first day. :lol: I was like, OMG, I'm never going to be able to do this! But I did. I got used to my dictators and before I knew it, I could transcribe for just about any doc. I even had one with a speech impediment. Of course, some will always have blanks if you or your supervisors just cannot get it. That's just the way it goes sometimes. They will expect a certain percentage accuracy but you don't have to be "perfect." :)

My company is based in Tennessee, but I live in Massachusetts. At a lot of the transcription businesses, it doesn't matter where in the United States you live, if you can work and have a computer, they will hire you to work from home. Some of them will rent you a computer and send you everything you need to get started.

If you can stand to sit there and type reports for hours, then I would suggest you take some courses in medical terminology. If you can type at least 50-55 WPM, you shouldn't have a problem, and that will increase the more you do it. I think you should look into it. It might be a great career choice for you! :)

My company is based in Tennessee, but I live in Massachusetts. At a lot of the transcription businesses, it doesn't matter where in the United States you live, if you can work and have a computer, they will hire you to work from home. Some of them will rent you a computer and send you everything you need to get started.

If you can stand to sit there and type reports for hours, then I would suggest you take some courses in medical terminology. If you can type at least 50-55 WPM, you shouldn't have a problem, and that will increase the more you do it. I think you should look into it. It might be a great career choice for you! :)

My typing is fine. I did data entry for about 10 years, and although it's been quite a while, I still type enough that I don't think there would be issues there. I don't know how well I'd do with the transcription, though. Typing what you read and typing what you hear are very different. I could probably do it, and it's certainly on my list of potential backup plans. :)

Forum List

Back