Use your MIND!!

Well Missourian, I have to say, those are some very impressive figures, and I actually like your idea about firearm endorsements on driver's licenses.

The only thing I would really disagree with is the waiting period thing, as waiting periods also stop people in the throws of violent anger from going out and getting a gun instantly.

But honestly, statistics or no, I would feel better with some assurance that somebody can't get out of jail, buy a gun, and then go shoot someone, like maybe the cop that arrested them.

Be that as it may, as I said, I'm a gun guy, so it doesn't take much to convince me, lol.

I'm not a gun guy. I've never bought a gun although I have inherited a rifle that I'm not even sure works. I respect OUR right to bare arms and probably would own a gun if I did not have kids (although mine have grown beyond the age of worry) in the house and I wasn't so cheap.

That being said, I have to say that I don't think the waiting period stops such people, because if I am pissed off and thinking about using a gun to blow my antagonists brains out, the last place I'm going to buy my gun from is a gun shop. I suspect it would be easy enough to find a gun on the streets rather than risk having my name associated with a shooting.

I suspect that the waiting period is pretty much about the same as the saying, "when they take away our guns, only the bad guys will have guns". A waiting period is only going to keep the honest guy honest. The bad guy knows how to get guns without waiting.

Immie

Could you go find some heroine tonight? If not I doubt you could find a gun.

Um, I could find some heroine tonight.....I could get a gun faster.....what's the matter with you? Heck, if I wanted a gun I could have one in my hands and loaded in less than 30 minutes and I'm not talking a gun I own or any in my home. I have friends, don't you? Or do you assume that criminals don't have friends?

I'm not a gun guy. I've never bought a gun although I have inherited a rifle that I'm not even sure works. I respect OUR right to bare arms and probably would own a gun if I did not have kids (although mine have grown beyond the age of worry) in the house and I wasn't so cheap.

That being said, I have to say that I don't think the waiting period stops such people, because if I am pissed off and thinking about using a gun to blow my antagonists brains out, the last place I'm going to buy my gun from is a gun shop. I suspect it would be easy enough to find a gun on the streets rather than risk having my name associated with a shooting.

I suspect that the waiting period is pretty much about the same as the saying, "when they take away our guns, only the bad guys will have guns". A waiting period is only going to keep the honest guy honest. The bad guy knows how to get guns without waiting.

Immie

Um, I could find some heroine tonight.....I could get a gun faster.....what's the matter with you? Heck, if I wanted a gun I could have one in my hands and loaded in less than 30 minutes and I'm not talking a gun I own or any in my home. I have friends, don't you? Or do you assume that criminals don't have friends?

NO NO NO......The question was waiting periods......The REASON for waiting periods is so a person can calm down in the heat of the moment situation. It is to keep you from acting on emotion and killing your wife because she cheated on you, burnt dinner, bought a new dress you couldn't afford. So be honest about argument. There is NO WAY I could get a gun tonight to kill anyone and if I got one from a friend and used it to kill someone I wouldn't be much of a friend because he would become an accessory to murder.

NO NO NO......The question was waiting periods......The REASON for waiting periods is so a person can calm down in the heat of the moment situation. It is to keep you from acting on emotion and killing your wife because she cheated on you, burnt dinner, bought a new dress you couldn't afford. So be honest about argument. There is NO WAY I could get a gun tonight to kill anyone and if I got one from a friend and used it to kill someone I wouldn't be much of a friend because he would become an accessory to murder.

Sorry, but a waiting period isn't going to stop someone determined......

Well Missourian, I have to say, those are some very impressive figures, and I actually like your idea about firearm endorsements on driver's licenses.

The only thing I would really disagree with is the waiting period thing, as waiting periods also stop people in the throws of violent anger from going out and getting a gun instantly.

But honestly, statistics or no, I would feel better with some assurance that somebody can't get out of jail, buy a gun, and then go shoot someone, like maybe the cop that arrested them.

Be that as it may, as I said, I'm a gun guy, so it doesn't take much to convince me, lol.

Immie

I can't, because I've never tried to buy heroine, but if I were of that mind, I'm sure I could get heroine in the time it takes you to read this post.

Immie

And that is the point.

The waiting period would stop someone like me, because I don't have a clue or the contacts (at least I don't think I have the right contacts!) but if I were that kind of a person, one who flew off the handle and thought about it, I suspect that I could find a gun in short order.

Immie

The POINT of the waiting period which I am SURE you understand is to let the person CALM DOWN!!! Very few people can carry a homicidal rage against a family member for more than a few hours (the booze wears off).

The POINT of the waiting period which I am SURE you understand is to let the person CALM DOWN!!! Very few people can carry a homicidal rage against a family member for more than a few hours (the booze wears off).

That's true buddy. The waiting periods main purpose though is to make sure a very thorough background check is completed.

Don't you think a firearm retailer might notice a potential buyer was drunk or in a homicidal rage. :cuckoo:

Don't you think a firearm retailer might notice a potential buyer was drunk or in a homicidal rage. :cuckoo:

I don't recall the law against selling a gun to a drunk guy,

You can't get a tat if your are obviously intoxicated but I know of no such law for purchasing a gun.

It certainly is here in Missouri!

It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to any person who is not lawfully entitled to possess one. It is unlawful to recklessly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to a person who is intoxicated.

Missouri Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Missouri?

You can't get a tat if your are obviously intoxicated but I know of no such law for purchasing a gun.

It certainly is here in Missouri!

It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to any person who is not lawfully entitled to possess one. It is unlawful to recklessly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to a person who is intoxicated.

Missouri Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Missouri?

Sounds like Missouri has their shit together.

Immie

I can't, because I've never tried to buy heroine, but if I were of that mind, I'm sure I could get heroine in the time it takes you to read this post.

Immie

Exactly.......unless you live in some remote isolated place, almost anyone can find a place in the nearest city where they can get what they want on the street, no questions asked.

Immie

Exactly.......unless you live in some remote isolated place, almost anyone can find a place in the nearest city where they can get what they want on the street, no questions asked.

You go to a place like that driving your BMW and ask a guy to buy a gun you are likely to get shot yourself. Are you telling me that you could go buy some heroine TONIGHT!?

Forum List

Back