US Navy will use Xbox controllers to steer submarine periscopes

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
US Navy Will Use Xbox Controllers To Steer Submarine Periscopes
The Navy is going to use Xbox game console controllers to steer the periscopes in submarines. The new controllers would replace the chunky and expensive joysticks currently in use.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well isn't that special, lets use a video game piece. I guess if it works then it works. Wonder what kind of kick back they're getting for supply the military with these controls.

I'm sure Microsoft is making some money off of it, but it can't be that significant. Are they really struggling to sell Xbox controllers?

Considering that the Xbox controllers are cheaper and easier to use than the current joysticks that they have, as well as the fact that most people who join the military today have a great deal of familiarity with how the controller works.

Saving money is a great idea, I wonder why Blind Whore is so against it?

And..................for those of you who don't trust InfoWars, this is legit news, but to get the full story, I recommend going to a real news site................

Up Periscope: U.S. Navy to use Xbox game controller on submarines

The U.S. Navy will begin using Xbox 360 video game controllers to operate periscopes on some of its newer, most advanced submarines.

The USS Colorado, a nuclear-powered submarine scheduled to be commissioned in November, will be the first to integrate an Xbox 360 controller into periscopic imaging systems.

Traditionally, operators control the imaging system with an expensive, helicopter-style joystick. This move not only saves on expense, but also brings aboard a technology that younger sailors are accustomed to and will require less training.

Such an application of off-the-shelf technology emerged from the Navy's research lab, launched four years ago with Lockheed Martin in Manassas, Va., and dubbed "Area 51."

Researchers asked junior officers and younger sailors “What can we do to make your life better?" Lt. j.g. Kyle Leonard told The Virginian-Pilot, the Norfolk, Va., newspaper first reporting the development. "One of the things that came out is the controls for the scope. It’s kind of clunky in your hand; it’s real heavy.”

Xbox 360 controllers are $25. I don't expect that "kickbacks" really come into play here.

You know, this was a suggestion from the crewmembers who actually operate the periscope, and they said that Xbox would be a better way of doing things.

And, because it's "off the shelf parts", you can get it for a cheaper price than custom designed systems, as well as can have several spares on hand in case you need them.

Like I said, this is a good move for the Navy. And, as a 20 year veteran of that service, I approve.

The Navy is going to use Xbox game console controllers to steer the periscopes in submarines. The new controllers would replace the chunky and expensive joysticks currently in use.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well isn't that special, lets use a video game piece. I guess if it works then it works. Wonder what kind of kick back they're getting for supply the military with these controls.
How many submarines do you think we have? Kick backs from about 50-60 controllers? :laugh:

How many submarines do you think we have? Kick backs from about 50-60 controllers? :laugh:

That's about $1500 bucks, all around.

Big money, right there.

I wonder if Playstation made a counter offer.

Considering that we only have 18 submarines, you could outfit all of them with spare controllers for less than 40.

The best part though is that its off the shelf parts, which means that you don't have to wait for a defense contractor to build it for you. If it breaks, go to your local Best Buy.

• Banned
Xbox 360 controllers are $25. I don't expect that "kickbacks" really come into play here.

Well I had to write something, kick backs are kick backs even if it's for free advertising or 100.00. They military bought hammers for 400.00 remember then skimmed the money.

Just how many submarines does our Navy have?

Something think they are never wrong and know "EVERYTHING" ever notice. Esp. when they hold PHD's better known as stuck up snobs. When really those are usually the dumbest. Meaning they question nothing when it comes from the Gov. Parents and those parents include th education systems.

Forum List

Back