US Marines Seize Taliban Headquarters, IDs, Photos

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
MARJAH, Afghanistan (AP) -- After a fierce gunfight, U.S. Marines seized a strongly defended compound Friday that appears to have been a Taliban headquarters -- complete with photos of fighters posing with their weapons, dozens of Taliban-issued ID cards and graduation diplomas from a training camp in Pakistan.

Insurgents who had been using the field office just south of Marjah's town center abandoned it by the end of the day's fighting, as Marines converged on them from all sides, escalating operations to break resistance in this Taliban stronghold in southern Helmand province.

Marines from Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines fought their way south from the town center Friday after residents told them that several dozen insurgent fighters had regrouped in the area.

''They know that they are outnumbered ... and that in the end they don't have the firepower to compete with us conventionally,'' said Capt. Joshua Winfrey of Tulsa, Okla., commander of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines.

Inside the compound, where a few chickens still wandered, Marines uncovered dozens of Taliban-issued ID cards, official Taliban letterhead stationery and government stamps.

They also found graduation diplomas from an insurgent training camp in Baluchistan, an area of southern Pakistan that borders Helmand province, along with photos of fighters posing with AK-47 assault rifles.

Six coalition troops were killed Thursday, NATO said, making it the deadliest day since the offensive began Feb. 13. The death toll for the operation stands at 12 NATO troops and one Afghan soldier. Britain's Defense Ministry said three British soldiers were among those killed Thursday.

No precise figures on Taliban deaths have been released, but senior Marine officers say intelligence reports suggest more than 120 have died.
The officers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

More great news to say the least.

Thoughts USMB?

MARJAH, Afghanistan (AP) -- After a fierce gunfight, U.S. Marines seized a strongly defended compound Friday that appears to have been a Taliban headquarters -- complete with photos of fighters posing with their weapons, dozens of Taliban-issued ID cards and graduation diplomas from a training camp in Pakistan.

Insurgents who had been using the field office just south of Marjah's town center abandoned it by the end of the day's fighting, as Marines converged on them from all sides, escalating operations to break resistance in this Taliban stronghold in southern Helmand province.

Marines from Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines fought their way south from the town center Friday after residents told them that several dozen insurgent fighters had regrouped in the area.

''They know that they are outnumbered ... and that in the end they don't have the firepower to compete with us conventionally,'' said Capt. Joshua Winfrey of Tulsa, Okla., commander of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines.

Inside the compound, where a few chickens still wandered, Marines uncovered dozens of Taliban-issued ID cards, official Taliban letterhead stationery and government stamps.

They also found graduation diplomas from an insurgent training camp in Baluchistan, an area of southern Pakistan that borders Helmand province, along with photos of fighters posing with AK-47 assault rifles.

Six coalition troops were killed Thursday, NATO said, making it the deadliest day since the offensive began Feb. 13. The death toll for the operation stands at 12 NATO troops and one Afghan soldier. Britain's Defense Ministry said three British soldiers were among those killed Thursday.

No precise figures on Taliban deaths have been released, but senior Marine officers say intelligence reports suggest more than 120 have died.
The officers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

More great news to say the least.

Thoughts USMB?

Go team!!!!

Afghanistan is never going to be "modern" the way we define modern, but at least, we can get rid of the Taliban and al Qaeda. Too bad we didn't do this years ago. What a shame.

Thoughts USMB?

I'm concerned about this one...

Britain's Defense Ministry said three British soldiers were among those killed Thursday.

xotoxi-albums-bootneck-picture750-boots.gif

Makes one want to break out in song. ("America, Fuck Yeah!") :cool:

Glad for the "surge". Sooner we get done with this the better.

Afghanistan is never going to be "modern" the way we define modern, but at least, we can get rid of the Taliban and al Qaeda. Too bad we didn't do this years ago. What a shame.

there are no wmd's in afghanistan......yet you support the invasion of a foreign country?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwG9jOBdRc&feature=related]YouTube - US Marines Cadence Hip Hop Vol I[/ame]

never going to get rid of the taliban

Nice to be seeing results in Afghanistan again. My bro in law said it is an awful place for the citizens and they appear more uneducated than any people he had ever seen.

So, the surge in Iraq didn't work. Yet we do another one in Afghanistan and that one is working. Interesting.

Say a prayer for the 7TH Marine Recon, they were dropped into a hell hole today behind enemy lines. M40 time. Brothers in arms.

Ame®icano;2027036 said:
So, the surge in Iraq didn't work. Yet we do another one in Afghanistan and that one is working. Interesting.

You know what? why don't you put a uniform on and take your cowardly ass over there for just one day. You have it made in this country and it's because of brave men and women risking their lives for whiny little scumbags like you. For once in your miserable life do something for someone else other than your piss ant little self you freaking punk.
I was in that surge you punk ass m f er and a holes like you made my job harder.
Wake up sissy boy it's time to defend your Country.

Ame®icano;2027036 said:

You know what? why don't you put a uniform on and take your cowardly ass over there for just one day. You have it made in this country and it's because of brave men and women risking their lives for whiny little scumbags like you. For once in your miserable life do something for someone else other than your piss ant little self you freaking punk.
I was in that surge you punk ass m f er and a holes like you made my job harder.
Wake up sissy boy it's time to defend your Country.

Not trying to speak for Americano but the what I am getting out of his post is that with a different president certain people seem fine with this surge that were not fine with the other. I could be wrong

Forum List

Back