US marines rally around comrade

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Bonnie, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    reuters.myway.com/article/20041116/2004-11-16T142730Z_01_N16187653_RTRI...

Falluja, Iraq (Reuters)- U.S. Marines rallied around a comrade under investigation for killing a wounded Iraqi during the offensive in Falluja, saying he was probably under combat stress in unpredictable, hair-trigger circumstances.

Marines interviewed on Tuesday said they didn't see the shooting as a scandal, rather the act of a comrade who faced intense pressure during the effort to quell the insurgency in the city.

"I can see why he would do it. He was probably running around being shot at for days on end in Falluja. there should be an investigation but they should look inot the circumstances," said Lance Corpral Christopher Hanson.

"I would have shot the insurgent too. Two shots to the heads," said Seargeant Nicholas Graham, 24 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "You can't trust these people. he should not be investigated. He did nothing wrong."

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    "Probably under combat stress in unpredictable, hair-trigger circumstances??????" Do they think they were sending this kid to a high school dance? *sheesh*

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I heard a tape of this event this morning...Taped by an imbedded reporter...It didn't sound good at all
    for this young man. Of course it was only an audio tape, and not a very good one, we'll see.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    How often have they run into "unarmed" insurgents who flinch then blow up and kill several of our Marines or Soldiers? How can they trust that this person was unarmed when they often make themselves into the very weapon needed to be neutralized?

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    True.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't know what to make of this, except to say that in a perfect world we would do everything right under the worst of circumstances....Being in combat for days getting shot at from all sides, not sleeping or eating well, seeing your fellow Marines getting killed can play on anyones mind!!

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Not to mention the fact that this kid had been slightly wounded only hours before. I know jarheads are tough hombres, but you would think they would pull him out for a day or two at least.

8. drac

drac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    This is war, what a hell is all this deal with invistigation. Now all those radical pricks will use it to kill bunch of unarmed civilians.

yes we should follow the "higher" moral ground, but you know usually after long and hard fight the moral ground tends to go away especially in the live/death situation where it is either me or my opponent.

Perhapse the terrorists should not be hiding b/n civilians and use mosque as attack ground.

I just do not know, the whole situtaion makes me feel :confused: :bang3: :eek2:

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Agreed!! Also I would add the soldiers there did one hell of a job, all the terrorists are either dead or running and we are on their trails :2guns: :flameth: :salute:

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I have to agree that the shooting seems legit. The damn terrorists have booby-trapped dead bodies. Plus the issue of human bombs. I can certainly see why someone in the heat of the situation would assume that the wounded terrorist's movements were an effort to detonate some explosive device.

These are soldiers, they're not cops. They are not obliged to yell "freeze" nor to read terrorists their rights. This young man had to make a split second decision and decide if the terrorist presented a threat. He decided that there was a threat. If he was wrong, sorry about that. That's the way it goes sometimes. If this raghead had not been there trying to kill our guys in the first place, he would still be alive.