US made goods a joke?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Working Man, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    last weekend I went to a local motorcycle shop to look for a new helmet. I wanted to buy one made in America. ( but I doubt I will ever find one.) In the search at the store, some of the younger riders got wind that I was looking for accessories made in America. A twenty something guy looks at me an said. " I wouldn't buy an American made helmet even if they were for sale here. I would only buy a helmet made in Japan, or over there (referring to Asia I assume), since the kids there go to school at least six days a week. Also, I know American kids and I wouldn't trust anything they made."((pp but close to verbatim))

OK folks, how does one respond to this?

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well, the fact is, the plastics used in making the helmet and the SW used in designing the helmet are probably developed here. For many years now America has been weak in the actual production of products such as these, but many American products are used all during the process of getting the products to market. That includes the CAD SW used in the design, the advanced plastics used in the manufacture and the marketing used in selling the helmets. So in many ways, the products have quite a bit of US content in them. We just can't claim "we made it".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You can't, it's true.

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why?

When I spend my money I want to spend it on something based on what it is and it's quality, not based on where it was made.

Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Bingo. Can't put it any better than this.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    Neither can I. I mean i understand the desire to want to keep people employed and buy things home grown. But I don't see how its beneficial in the long run. If they arent creating something thats worth buying why should they profit off it?

If other companies can do something better than us then whats wrong with that. We should either pick up our level or just do something else. They are people too. They have a right to work as well and if its more beneficial to the consumers then why shouldnt they have a right to earn a living too? If we want to compete it shouldnt be by excluding other products, but it should be because we can create products and services that are better than others can. We can do that by working hard, studying hard, getting an education and encouraging our children to get the best education they can as well.

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I'd ask him where he worked and tell him that I intended to apply his philosophy to whatever product or service he represented.

But I make a conscious effort to buy American made products. I disagree with the assertion that "Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone."

First, I would not purchase anything SOLELY because it was made in the USA. But if I can find a product that has equal or better quality and the price is close to that of an import, then I'll buy the American product every time. I do this not only because it helps keep a fellow American employed, but because in the long run, keeping fellow Americans employed benefits everyone in this country. A fact that we all should keep in mind when we shop.

No, I won't go on another Wal Mart rant. I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear that.

8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Bat barf.

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    My post was directed at the "?" how do you respond in the first post.
    I still say you can't. Cuz it's true.
    For the most part American products have come to what the "made in Japan" products were when we were kids...A JOKE.

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You guys keep a very narrow mind. I guess if it is a consumer good, yes, "Made in America" doesn't mean much. But when it comes to products that are integral to the manufacture and development of consumer goods, still nobody can beat the USA. Consumer goods are not all that make up an economy. There are a lot of products that "Made in America" still means a lot and I am not just talking about military stuff. For examples, telephone switching systems, wireless infrastructure equipment (base stations), medical devices, etc., etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on.