US energy production growing, consumption down

Someone here seems proud that oil production under Obama is up. What the person doesn't know is that the process oil lease to exploration to production is often much longer than 4 years.

"Another reason is the time it takes to go from bidding on a lease to producing oil. It can take seven, eight, nine years to do the seismic work, line up the contractors, conduct the exploratory drilling, and then build the infrastructure needed to bring the oil and gas market, he said."
Oil drilling on leases for millions of acres remains idle - Jun. 7, 2011

Is Obama really the reason for increased oil production?

I think I know what's involved in the process; it's just crude oil and not rocket science.

If it's so hard for them, stop giving them resources on public lands or economic zones! Sell it to them at market prices and not a penney on the dollar!

Or we could quit aiding and abetting the myopic, profit-focussed, corporate destruction of our society. There are a multitude of sources of electrical power, and transportation energy. It will take a politics unlike what currently exists to accomplish such greatness; the current politics are beholden to the corporate leeches such that there is little left to salvage.

That said, there is no reason for public resources to be used to profit the few, essentially stealing from most everyone and then selling the resources stolen back to the people from which they were stolen. I am not against individuals earning a profit for their expertise, proficiency or even dumb luck, but societal costs and the responsibility for those costs should be paid by those who seek profits from the recovery/processing and resale of public resources. Market value of the recovery leases as would be expected if the rights were privately owned and an appropriate carbon taxation applied to all sequestered carbon resources being dumped into the active environmental carbon cycle. Under that set of conditions I'd have no problem with the environmentally-responsible recovery of resources from the public lands.

"Efficiency" is the three-headed 800lb gorilla in the room.

Efficiency in production, distribution, and application/utilization.

Someone here seems proud that oil production under Obama is up. What the person doesn't know is that the process oil lease to exploration to production is often much longer than 4 years.

"Another reason is the time it takes to go from bidding on a lease to producing oil. It can take seven, eight, nine years to do the seismic work, line up the contractors, conduct the exploratory drilling, and then build the infrastructure needed to bring the oil and gas market, he said."
Oil drilling on leases for millions of acres remains idle - Jun. 7, 2011

Is Obama really the reason for increased oil production?

I think I know what's involved in the process; it's just crude oil and not rocket science.

If it's so hard for them, stop giving them resources on public lands or economic zones! Sell it to them at market prices and not a penney on the dollar!

Or we could quit aiding and abetting the myopic, profit-focussed, corporate destruction of our society. There are a multitude of sources of electrical power, and transportation energy. It will take a politics unlike what currently exists to accomplish such greatness; the current politics are beholden to the corporate leeches such that there is little left to salvage.

That said, there is no reason for public resources to be used to profit the few, essentially stealing from most everyone and then selling the resources stolen back to the people from which they were stolen. I am not against individuals earning a profit for their expertise, proficiency or even dumb luck, but societal costs and the responsibility for those costs should be paid by those who seek profits from the recovery/processing and resale of public resources. Market value of the recovery leases as would be expected if the rights were privately owned and an appropriate carbon taxation applied to all sequestered carbon resources being dumped into the active environmental carbon cycle. Under that set of conditions I'd have no problem with the environmentally-responsible recovery of resources from the public lands.

"Efficiency" is the three-headed 800lb gorilla in the room.

Efficiency in production, distribution, and application/utilization.

I don't agree with the carbon taxation thing, unless every cent is directly returned to the people.

I understand the concept though of making energy more expensive so it won't be wasted.

I'd rather have cheap energy, food and pussy for everybody in my imaginary world.

That's a rather crude way of putting it, but it speaks to my point.

We've lived on this planet for thousands of years and still can't figure out how to comfort our neighbor or who our neighbor really is. I'm old and I'm tired, but your neighbor is the person next to you, regardless of how he is. You don't have to agree with your neighbor on everything, because who ever does. Peace is what should happen.

I don't agree with the carbon taxation thing, unless every cent is directly returned to the people.

It would be returned to those who would be most impacted by increased costs and climate change impacts, as well as society as a whole, via infrastructure enhancement and adaptation measures. In other words there would be a scale of reimbursement. Those below poverty level would be fully and directly reimbursed (in many cases exempted) from the carbon taxation. Those of higher relative means, but below median income, might not be substantively reimbursed directly. For these individuals their reimbursement may come in the form reduced tax liabilities, eligibility for federal programs that help pay for education/training, low/no interest home loans, home improvement loans, and low/no emission vehicle lease/loan, etc.,. Above certain levels of annual income, your only reimbursement would be the access to enhanced infrastructure and climate change adaptations (not inconsiderable reimbursements).

Forum List

Back