UPS and Target Holiday Hiring Brings Up Jobs Numbers

A UPS manager delivered to my house today, in his own vehicle. He said since Target is offering 1-Day shipping, they are flooded with packages to deliver. All the managers are on the job, and have the option of using their own vehicles, or drive rental vans. UPS logistics may be overwhelmed, but they get it done.

UPS says:

“We expect another record Peak season this year, with daily package deliveries nearly doubling compared to our average of 20 million per day,” said Jim Barber, chief operating officer. “In order to make that happen, once again we’re recruiting about 100,000 people for some of the country’s best seasonal jobs.”

UPS To Hire About 100,000 For Holiday Season

UPS, Target set to hire thousands for holidays
Part-time temporary jobs.

A UPS manager delivered to my house today, in his own vehicle. He said since Target is offering 1-Day shipping, they are flooded with packages to deliver. All the managers are on the job, and have the option of using their own vehicles, or drive rental vans. UPS logistics may be overwhelmed, but they get it done.

UPS says:

“We expect another record Peak season this year, with daily package deliveries nearly doubling compared to our average of 20 million per day,” said Jim Barber, chief operating officer. “In order to make that happen, once again we’re recruiting about 100,000 people for some of the country’s best seasonal jobs.”

Part-time temporary jobs.

That’s why the call them seasonal. Good grief.

And clearly my point is yeah but by how much? 1%? 0.1%? 0.01% less?
Um...the November jobs report showed 266,000 new jobs. You have been given the info that one company alone planned to hire 100,000 seasonal workers. So your math might be a WEE bit off.
And what Target reports:

"Along with UPS, Target also announced last week they plan to bring on over 130,000 seasonal team members to support their stores across the United States as they prepare for increased foot traffic in their brick-and-mortar locations and increased shipping at their distribution centers.

In a statement, the company explained, of the seasonal hires, the vast majority – approximately 125,000 positions – will be in stores, while the remaining 8,000 will be employed at Target’s distribution and fulfillment centers."

That makes 2 companies.
Comprehension is key.

They PLAN to bring on these jobs. The jobs report has already been posted. You have a discrepancy in time.

They PLAN to bring on these jobs. The jobs report has already been posted. You have a discrepancy in time.
No, it appears that you do.

The November jobs report was released on 12/06/19.

The article showing they planned to hire seasonal workers for the holidays was published on 10/02/19.

No, it appears that you do.

The November jobs report was released on 12/06/19.

The article showing they planned to hire seasonal workers for the holidays was published on 10/02/19.
Plan to. It matters WHEN they hire, now when they say they will hire.

Unless you have definitive proof that the last jobs report INCLUDED those planned hires.

Plan to. It matters WHEN they hire
So, if they "plan" to hire seasonal workers for the holidays, what is your best guess as to when they plan to do that...? Would that be before or after the holidays? Take your time. ;)

A real job is not a planned job.
Wait, let me get this straight:

You think they put out a press release in October saying they planned to hire 100,000 holiday workers over the next few weeks... and then didn't?

hahaha..... ooookay. I think I will just let your comments stand for themselves.

What?! UPS and Target are colluding with...THE RUSSIANS?! Trump is surely behind this, Impeach 45!

Plan to. It matters WHEN they hire
So, if they "plan" to hire seasonal workers for the holidays, what is your best guess as to when they plan to do that...? Would that be before or after the holidays? Take your time. ;)
Not really relevant, is it?

They plan on hiring these people, but that is based upon a forecast of economic growth and estimated retail activity. They hire them as the need becomes more and more critical.

That is why you will see for hire signs in windows right up to the last week of Christmas, and then suddenly they are all laid-off.

Simply put, you have no hard data that these planned jobs were in the jobs report. You are correct in that seasonal hiring will affect those numbers, but be realistic. Those numbers are already baked into the forecasts.

But hey, you keep on trying to make it out that this economy isn't doing that well. I just don't have time for you anymore today.

A real job is not a planned job.
Wait, let me get this straight:

You think they put out a press release in October saying they planned to hire 100,000 holiday workers over the next few weeks... and then didn't?

hahaha..... ooookay. I think I will just let your comments stand for themselves.
They don't hire until there is a need. They don't hire them all at once. Simple seasonal economics.

Have a nice night.

UPS says:

Maybe this will help clear things up.

Seasonal adjustment labor report

Seasonal adjustment is a statistical technique that attempts to measure and remove the influences of predictable seasonal patterns to reveal how employment and unemployment change from month to month.

Over the course of a year, the size of the labor force, the levels of employment and unemployment, and other measures of labor market activity undergo fluctuations due to seasonal events including changes in weather, harvests, major holidays, and school schedules. Because these seasonal events follow a more or less regular pattern each year, their influence on statistical trends can be eliminated by seasonally adjusting the statistics from month to month. These seasonal adjustments make it easier to observe the cyclical, underlying trend, and other nonseasonal movements in the series.
What is seasonal adjustment?

UPS says:

HOLIDAY SEASON?

not CHRISTMAS???!?!?

is this part of the liberal war on christmas?

Christmas isn't the only holiday in December.

And clearly my point is yeah but by how much? 1%? 0.1%? 0.01% less?
Um...the November jobs report showed 266,000 new jobs. You have been given the info that one company alone planned to hire 100,000 seasonal workers. So your math might be a WEE bit off.
And what Target reports:

"Along with UPS, Target also announced last week they plan to bring on over 130,000 seasonal team members to support their stores across the United States as they prepare for increased foot traffic in their brick-and-mortar locations and increased shipping at their distribution centers.

In a statement, the company explained, of the seasonal hires, the vast majority – approximately 125,000 positions – will be in stores, while the remaining 8,000 will be employed at Target’s distribution and fulfillment centers."

That makes 2 companies.
Comprehension is key.

How many of these jobs of the already posted permanent, full-time, and paying a living wage? None?

UPS says:

I got a UPS package yesterday...delivered in a Uhaul truck. It's tough to find a rental trailer or semi tractor now, because UPS had rented damn near everything available. (Saw a UPS tractor pulling a Swift trailer last week, and a Penske tractor pulling a pair of UPS doubles today.)

Forum List

Back