Upper Peninsula

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Does anyone know about the UP? I hear you can buy a $5000 cabin on a small plot but across the street is Federal or State land. I would love something like this. I could even buy the plot of land with no cabin and put one of these mini log cabins on it.

1699450689128.png

Does anyone know about the UP? I hear you can buy a $5000 cabin on a small plot but across the street is Federal or State land. I would love something like this. I could even buy the plot of land with no cabin and put one of these mini log cabins on it.

View attachment 855109
bobo you live in Michigan and have never been up there?...i hear its one of the most scenic places in the country ....

Ideally I would like 5-20 acres at $1000 an acre. So $20K for 20 acres. I'd settle for 10 acres. $10K pre fab log cabin. Insulate it and drywall to keep warmth in. Pot belly stove. No electricity. No plumbing. The ability to walk across the street and into the woods with my dog. Hunt there. Ride quad/snowmobile. So I'll have to get those. That's another $10K minimum. Then all the tools like chainsaws, nails, supplies. Call that $10K. It's not cheap to get set up. $50K? I'd do it if I could have all that for $50K.

bobo you live in Michigan and have never been up there?...i hear its one of the most scenic places in the country ....
I was going to say I get close because I go to Gaylord, MI but I just asked google how far Gaylord to the UP is and it says 3.5 hours. OMG that means it would take me 7 hours to get there from metro Detroit. Maybe I need to rethink this. LOL. But if land is cheap. Because land is not cheap in lower MI.

Maybe I should look for land in KY or OH. Is it cheaper? Then I'll go vote Democrat and turn them blue. If they aren't already. How about last night? Huh???

Water, electric, sewer (or outhouse). You need all of that minimum + trash removal? Property taxes? Nothing is cheap.
I would bring those big water jugs for drinking water. Just dig a deep hole for poop. I have a pickup I'll take the trash home. My brother does that. No trash removal comes to his hunting property up north.

Will I have to pay more because I put a shed on it? That's all these pre fab fake log cabins are. Pretty much a shed. I would insulate it and put a pot belly stove in it. This is why I want 20 acres not 5. I don't want the government to see I have a home on it. Then the taxes go up big time.

My brother has a corner of his property that is up towards the front. It's where the hunting camp used to be. I wish he would let me put a pre fab log cabin there. I don't know why he won't. We would do it right and it would add value to his property. Plus I would go up there on weekends by myself like I do now but I'd stay in the cabin not his house. I know he'd prefer that. LOL

My brother has a corner of his property that is up towards the front. It's where the hunting camp used to be. I wish he would let me put a pre fab log cabin there. I don't know why he won't. We would do it right and it would add value to his property. Plus I would go up there on weekends by myself like I do now but I'd stay in the cabin not his house. I know he'd prefer that. LOL
i was watching a show were these guys were looking for bigfoot up in the UP......Forrest everywhere it seemed....pretty scenic....

Forget the noisy, polluting, environment degrading toys and it sounds pretty nice.
Thank God we have a chainsaw. Cutting wood would suck without one. We have a quad up north too. The kids ride it for fun but honestly we only use it as a tool. To till the food plots. To drag a deer back or to hang it up. That wench is a life saver. It's great to have one when you need it but most of the time it just sits in the garage. And sometimes up north a snowmobile might be necessary. Snow gets DEEP.

But yea, I want peace and quiet.

With trail cameras everywhere, that's the best picture you have?
Better than the ones they have of big foot. .. . :dunno:

There are a few other shots in that other video. His channel is carried by Roku.

Water, electric, sewer (or outhouse). You need all of that minimum + trash removal? Property taxes? Insurance? Can’t t leave anything of value up there months un-attended. 4wheel vehicle to get in-out Dirt roads bad weather. Nothing is cheap.

I knew a guy who owned an unoccupied cabin in rural America and was constantly having to get the sheriffs to try to chase away the meth manufacturers. Tried to sell it once and it was impossible, because of the permanent contamination from the meth manufacture.

Great idea.

I knew a guy who owned an unoccupied cabin in rural America and was constantly having to get the sheriffs to try to chase away the meth manufacturers. Tried to sell it once and it was impossible, because of the permanent contamination from the meth manufacture.

Great idea.

Those pesky "meth-odists"! Religious fanatics everywhere!

Great idea.

You can put cameras up. But then that would mean the place has internet connection.

Where did this happen in rural America btw?

Forum List

Back